Geelong - (2007-2011) Greatest ever winning record of 100 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong have been the most wonderful team. No one can take that record away from them. They have never bottomed out, never had early draft picks. To accomplish this feat with the equalization of the draft and no free player agency is an incredible achievement. If they win the premiership this season they will be the greatest team of all.

Hawthorn 5 premierships

Collingwood 4 premierships

Geelong 2 premierships

I think the record highlights missed opportunity more than anything else.

I'm happy with two over a four year period. Considering at the start of 07' I didnt think there would be a Flag for quite a few more years two flags is pretty damn awesome.

Was a struggle for you, wasn't it.

I'm so glad I can appreciate the achievements of people outside of the club I choose to favour.

Not at all. It was a joke actually. The Geelong team have been fantastic, possibly still are. I think on BF I actually defend opposition players more than anyone else. Go look at threads of Fletcher, Lloyd, Judd, Gibbs, etc that I continuously start. Stop being so ridiculous.

Geelong have been the most wonderful team. No one can take that record away from them. They have never bottomed out, never had early draft picks. To accomplish this feat with the equalization of the draft and no free player agency is an incredible achievement. If they win the premiership this season they will be the greatest team of all.

Ummm, missing the finals 5 out of 6 years up to 2004 might have had a bit to do with it, as did a couple of not-so-unimportant father-son picks.
Albeit, Mackie, Lonergan, Bartel, Kelly, SJohnson, Mooney, Corey, Chapman were all gotten with high draft picks over those years. Not picks 1 and 2, but then again neither have the Crows or the Power ever gotten those picks either.

Best team ever, absolutely agree, but they benefitted from the system as much as much as anyone else.

Amazing record really. Geelong are still a real chance this year as well, cruising along nicely.

Ummm, missing the finals 5 out of 6 years up to 2004 might have had a bit to do with it, as did a couple of not-so-unimportant father-son picks.
Albeit, Mackie, Lonergan, Bartel, Kelly, SJohnson, Mooney, Corey, Chapman were all gotten with high draft picks over those years. Not picks 1 and 2, but then again neither have the Crows or the Power ever gotten those picks either.

Best team ever, absolutely agree, but they benefitted from the system as much as much as anyone else.

Of that lot only Corey, Mackie and Bartel were even first round picks. And as for FS picks no one gave a shite about Scarlett and Blake draft time and Ablett Jnr was rated a late first round pick at best. Hawkins was the only F/S bargain and he has not exactly turned out to be a world beater has he?

Get it right drongo!

Lonergan - pick 23
Kelly - pick 17
Stevie J - pick 23
Chapman - pick 31
Mooney - recruited in a trade (Leigh Colbert and a draft pick).

It is not all about Premierships, winning a home and away match feels pretty good as well.

Geelong fans will never forget this era. I am cherishing each win even more now as the end approaches.

The start of this season has been the most I have enjoyed the football since those early thrilling games in 07, when no side could live with us.

Corey Enright, bl0ody hell, what a player..

At the start of the Big Lebowski, Sam Elliott's character says: "Sometimes there's a man – I won't say a hero, cause what's a hero – but sometimes there's a man who … well, he's the man for his time and place; he fits right in there."

Corey Enright is that man at Geelong.

Get it right drongo!

Lonergan - pick 23
Kelly - pick 17
Stevie J - pick 23
Chapman - pick 31
Mooney - recruited in a trade (Leigh Colbert and a draft pick).

Mate, all due respect, but finishing lower on the ladder gives you a better pick each round in the draft, all on the ones I've mentioned were at the pointy end of the draft (ie not pick 96 or something). My bad about Mooney, I always thought he was a high draft pick.

Anyhows, my apologies for acknowledging that they are the best team ever, and sorry for derailing the thread by not acknowledging that it was a divine birth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the start of the Big Lebowski, Sam Elliott's character says: "Sometimes there's a man – I won't say a hero, cause what's a hero – but sometimes there's a man who … well, he's the man for his time and place; he fits right in there."

Corey Enright is that man at Geelong.

Gee, you must be a barrel of laughs at dinner parties.

Amazing record that doesn't show much sign of slowing down at the moment.
Beat your mob this weekend and our record improves by 1, but then we would have to win the next 16 straight to improve it again.

Mate, all due respect, but finishing lower on the ladder gives you a better pick each round in the draft, all on the ones I've mentioned were at the pointy end of the draft (ie not pick 96 or something). My bad about Mooney, I always thought he was a high draft pick.

Anyhows, my apologies for acknowledging that they are the best team ever, and sorry for derailing the thread by not acknowledging that it was a divine birth.

We have fnished no lower than 12 and since 1998-2004 finished 12th, 10th, 5th, 12th, 9th, 12th, 4th, 6th, 10th, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 3rd. Pretty gpood considering how little we got out of the 1999 draft in way of picks whichwas where we got most players.

Is that when the 100 point demolition by Collingwood drops off?

Wait and see.

We didn't get a lot from the drafts though at the higher end. The best I reckon we got was Joel Selwood which we were lucky to get :D and I'm sure he feels the same.

I wonder if the coach survived St Kilda's 2-98 run from 1897 - 1903..

LOL my grandpa showed me articles fromthose days that belonged to his dad. It made the news when they won a gam on the front page and in one week even managing to kick multiple goals.

Ditto. Incredible achievement.

They haven't been particularly blessed with injuries either, considering how often Chapman or Ottens or Scarlett missed, and Egan obviously retired for good.

Is this a troll or serious? I would rather still have ERgan who would be in his prime. Would ease the impending losses of Milburn and Scarlett.

Hawthorn 5 premierships

Collingwood 4 premierships

Geelong 2 premierships

I think the record highlights missed opportunity more than anything else.

You do realise it was easier for teams to dominate for longer with bullshit recruiting measures such as zones? Hawthorn got a licence to succeed in the 80s as did Collingwood in the 20s. Not to mention the fact that Collingwood needed 2 challenge matches to win their 4 in a row.

Peanuts aginst Tomotoes comparison against footy "back in the day"

Correct.

Amazing record considering they have been an attacking and attractive team to watch. football really was bad to watch the few seasons before 2007 but Geelong really improved it and it shows how quick modern football can change in terms of styles.

And our apologies that we picked so many players where every other club had the opportunity to take them, many several times over, because apparently you only have good drafting skills if you draft guns with a picks in the 90's :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong - (2007-2011) Greatest ever winning record of 100 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back