AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

our next selection is #35; no clue who we will grab there, but I'd suspect we'd get a pretty decent player - after that we're just shoring up depth imo, as I reckon the talent will start to thin out by #47 (our next pick after #35) ...

we've done really well so far imo - looking forward to reviewing our haul and also taking a bit of a peek at what some of the other clubs have done...

edit: will take a wild guess at maybe Julia Harvey with #35 ..?

Last edited:
We've still got selections at #47, #57 and #62 to round out our draft and list.

Hoping we might look at Courtney Jones or Julia Harvey, but really I have no clue at this point ...

We've still got selections at #47, #57 and #62 to round out our draft and list.

Hoping we might look at Courtney Jones or Julia Harvey, but really I have no clue at this point ...

I'll guess Maighan Fogas. :p

I'll guess Maighan Fogas. :p

Nostradamus ! :cool:

I saw bits and pieces of Fogas this season; seemed to start the year really well before fading in my limited opinion - certainly didn't do a real lot during the finals series...

edit: if we're still dipping into the VFLW pool, I'd have hoped Bec Pearce would be looked at closely; finished the season full of confidence ..

The Cats have taken Sophie Van De Heuval with #2 ...

Most of the talk in the lead-up to the draft speculated that Olivia Purcell might be 'rewarded' for her great form as a teenaged VFLW top-up player in 2018.

The club has played it smarter than that though; Purcell is off-limits to other clubs and can be claimed by the Cats later on, whereas the talented Van De Heuval was available for any Victorian club, and probably would've been around the top half dozen prospects in an open draft.

Sophie is also a talented junior cricketer, and she plans on juggling the two sports for the forseeable future.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wo...k=fad0343274bbaf998d261a89892d93aa-1540256532

Van De Heuval is a classy player, similar to Nina Morrison in that she is nominally an athletic 'outside' type player with very good skills.
Recorded the best vertical leap at the draft.

Watching her play during the girls U/18s champs, she was able to accumulate and dispose of the ball with ease; very quick and well-balanced with sharp reactions.
Her kicking technique looks very good, *however* from what I've seen she can spray it around a bit, particularly in front of goal.

View attachment 577393
Smart move!

#14 Olivia Purcell

From the Geelong Falcons, played some impressive football for our VFLW team late in the year, including a couple of really strong finals.

She is just a nutter this girl; first thought is to tackle, tackle, tackle - gets to work at the base of every pack. Terrific player, all heart

View attachment 577419
I went to school with Brendan Purcell. Any relation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nina Morrison speaks about being the 2018 #1 AFLW draft selection:

"NINA Morrison had no idea her name would be called out with the coveted Pick 1 by Geelong.

Despite long being touted as the possible first pick, Morrison explained the Cats hadn’t told her of their intentions leading into the draft.

“No I didn’t (know) actually, so found out officially when it was read out earlier,” Morrison told reporters.

The midfielder had an outstanding season and was joint winner of the Under 18 Championships MVP and TAC Cup Girls Best and Fairest, alongside Maddie Prespakis.

Morrison played for the Geelong VFL Women’s team this season and impressed alongside many of her future teammates.

“It’s a massive honour and I’m super excited,” she said.

“I can’t wait to get into preseason and meet all the other girls and get stuck into it really.

“But at the same time, I think it’s important to recognise that with all the other regions and states you nominate, there’s effectively quite a few girls that will go Pick 1 for their region, so it’s a big time for them as well.”

The outside midfielder broke two records at the AFLW Draft Combine, winning the Yo-Yo test and the 2km time trial.

“I’ve only being playing for two years, so I’ve come a long way already, I know I’ve got a long way to go as well so this is just the beginning now,” Morrison explained.

The 17-year-old spoke of how she pushed the talk of her going Pick 1 into the back of her mind and just attempted to play the best football she could.

“I think you’ve just got to push it to the side (focus on Pick 1), not take it a bit too seriously,” she said.

“Especially earlier in the year, I just focused on playing good footy and working hard my game and then just sort of not read too much into it I suppose.”

Really mature, thoughtful girl.

Geelong-VFLW-Nina-Morrison-Marcel-Berens-1024x683.jpg

Looks like we're picking up more VFLW girls now. Elise Coventry come on down!

.. and another one, #60 Madeline Keryk, a midfielder who played pretty well in this years VFLW finals series.
I think she was previously listed by Carlton.
Slowish, left-footer, does get the pill but her disposal isn't all that damaging ...

is that it for us? VFLW+Grand+Final+Hawthorn+v+Geelong+zM7_f6XPq4Wx.jpg

Ladies and Gents, our 2019 AFLW list:

Cassie Blakeway
Maddie Boyd
Hannah Burchell
Renee Caris
Georgia Clarke
Mia-Rae Clifford
Elise Coventry
Rocky Cranston
Julia Crockett-Grills
Kate Darby
Maighan Fogas
Renee Garing
Bec Goring
Mel Hickey
Erin Hoare
Jordan Ivey
Madeline Keryk
Meghan McDonald
Maddy McMahon (rookie)
Phoebe McWilliams
Nina Morrison
Aasta O’Connor
Danielle Orr
Olivia Purcell
Georgie Rankin (rookie)
Denby Taylor
Anna Teague
Hayley Trevean
Sophie Van De Heuval
Rebecca Webster

Cassie Blakeway
Maddie Boyd
Hannah Burchell
Renee Caris
Georgia Clarke
Mia-Rae Clifford
Elise Coventry
Rocky Cranston
Julia Crockett-Grills
Kate Darby
Maighan Fogas
Renee Garing
Bec Goring
Mel Hickey
Erin Hoare
Jordan Ivey
Madeline Keryk
Meghan McDonald
Maddy McMahon (rookie)
Phoebe McWilliams
Nina Morrison
Aasta O’Connor
Danielle Orr
Olivia Purcell
Georgie Rankin (rookie)
Denby Taylor
Anna Teague
Hayley Trevean
Sophie Van De Heuval
Rebecca Webster
Bring it!!

Nostradamus ! :cool:

I saw bits and pieces of Fogas this season; seemed to start the year really well before fading in my limited opinion - certainly didn't do a real lot during the finals series...

edit: if we're still dipping into the VFLW pool, I'd have hoped Bec Pearce would be looked at closely; finished the season full of confidence ..
Regarding Bec Pearce, speaking to her uncle during the vflw gf, he was unsure if she was going to nominate for the draft this year as it seemed she herself was unsure as that stage - she nominated last year and was overlooked which was a bit of a confidence hit I believe, but she turned her focus on vflw after Hood spoke to her & assured her a spot on the list.

Maybe she's decided to not look at the aflw this season, get another year at vflw level under her belt & try again next year.

Last edited:
Regarding Bec Pearce, speaking to her uncle during the vflw gf, he was unsure if he was going to nominate for the draft this year as it seemed she was unsure as that stage - she nominated last year and was overlooked which was a bit of a confidence hit I believe, but she turned her focus on vflw after Hood spoke to her & assured her a spot on the list.

Maybe she's decided to not look at the aflw this season, get another year at vflw level under her belt & try again next year.

interesting - I thought she looked one of our more composed (and skillful!) women during our 2018 VFLW finals campaign.

would have preferred her over Keryk or Fogas tbh ..

Cassie Blakeway
Maddie Boyd
Hannah Burchell
Renee Caris
Georgia Clarke
Mia-Rae Clifford
Elise Coventry
Rocky Cranston
Julia Crockett-Grills
Kate Darby
Maighan Fogas
Renee Garing
Bec Goring
Mel Hickey
Erin Hoare
Jordan Ivey
Madeline Keryk
Meghan McDonald
Maddy McMahon (rookie)
Phoebe McWilliams
Nina Morrison
Aasta O’Connor
Danielle Orr
Olivia Purcell
Georgie Rankin (rookie)
Denby Taylor
Anna Teague
Hayley Trevean
Sophie Van De Heuval
Rebecca Webster

By my count, 19 of that list played in our VFLW side this season.

By my count, 19 of that list played in our VFLW side this season.

.. I came up with 20 :think:

.. be interesting to know how many of our AFLW squad is over 30 years of age - considering our fledgling status in the comp we seem to have quite a few ...

Elise Coventry is 34
Mel Hickey is 33
Phoebe McWilliams is 33
Mia-Rae Clifford is 32
Aasta O'Connor is 31
Anna Teague is nearly 31
Hayley Trevean is 30
Renee Garing is 30

.. be interesting to know how many of our AFLW squad is over 30 years of age - considering our fledgling status in the comp we seem to have quite a few ...

Elise Coventry is 34
Mel Hickey is 33
Phoebe McWilliams is 33
Mia-Rae Clifford is 32
Aasta O'Connor is 31
Anna Teague is nearly 31
Hayley Trevean is 30
Renee Garing is 30
:eek: Topping up!!!!

Elise Coventry is 34
Mel Hickey is 33
Phoebe McWilliams is 33
Mia-Rae Clifford is 32
Aasta O'Connor is 31
Anna Teague is nearly 31
Hayley Trevean is 30
Renee Garing is 30

Think Erin Hoare will be 30 next year too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back