AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
:eek: Topping up!!!!

McWilliams is a really good player ... wish she had a few more years ahead of her as she will be a weapon up forward for us ..

Hickey, I'm not sure how much of an impact she'll have, and competition is pretty fierce for key defensive spots ..

Clifford got amongst the goals this year in the VFLW and is the type who can bob up with a clever bit of 1v1 play, or a contested mark, but I'm not sure how she'll go ..

Trevean shapes as a depth player; she's ok but for a midfielder/winger type she can go missing for large chunks of games ..

Coventry has bided her time with the Cats at VFLW level and does work well with our regular FB Goring and key defender Anna Teague ... still, she can't have a lot of footy left in her - hopefully she has a good solid season in 2019 ...

Teague is one of my favourites, I'm a bit biased with her ... she'll be fighting it out with the likes of Goring, Hickey, Meg McDonald, Georgia Clarke and even Maddy McMahon for a key defenders spot...

They're all kids to old fart like me!

You're not wrong. I actually worked at Erin's primary school when she was in Grade 6. Probably going to embarrass myself here, but they used to have staff vs student netball games back then, and I was playing as goalkeeper against her. Fair to say she kicked my ass. :oops:

Fixture's out!

578111_9d0036fb05a4783a3ecb034967c41b79.png

From the clubs press release:

GEELONG will open the AFLW season with a blockbuster clash against Collingwood at GMHBA Stadium.

The Cats have been placed in Conference B alongside Carlton, Collingwood, GWS and Brisbane for their inaugural AFLW season.

The fledgling side will play seven regular season games against all teams except Melbourne and North Melbourne in its first year in the league, including three home games at GMHBA Stadium...

...“Next year marks the 160th anniversary of our club, and the first AFLW game is a great way to start the milestone.”

Bring on our 160th anniversary

And for those who don't care about the rest of the league, an easy to read copy of our future:

C2B2AFCE-C0DA-4D82-991F-3F69812CE48E.jpeg

http://m.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-10-26/cats-to-kick-off-aflw-30?camefrom=EMCL_2558824_116766963

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:rolleyes: 3 interstate games .... Magpies only have one, surprise surprise ..
I think that Collingwood & Carlton would potentially be a couple of the bigger disappointments (so far) for the AFL in terms of output versus expectation when the granted them licences - especially ahead of say Geelong & North who may have actually been better positioned.

Season 1: Collingwood won 3 of 7 matches (% of 85.5); Carlton won 3, drew 1 of their 7 (% of 112.5)
Season 2: Collingwood won 3 of 7 matches (% of 110.6); Carlton won 2 of 7 matches (% of 54.1)

Maybe the AFL is taking pity on Collingwood and trying to give them a bit of help to get to the preliminary final (at least), because I'm thinking they want then to succeed to justify them getting one of the initial licences which I think was a bit of a surprise at the time.

I think that Collingwood & Carlton would potentially be a couple of the bigger disappointments (so far) for the AFL in terms of output versus expectation when the granted them licences - especially ahead of say Geelong & North who may have actually been better positioned.

Season 1: Collingwood won 3 of 7 matches (% of 85.5); Carlton won 3, drew 1 of their 7 (% of 112.5)
Season 2: Collingwood won 3 of 7 matches (% of 110.6); Carlton won 2 of 7 matches (% of 54.1)

Maybe the AFL is taking pity on Collingwood and trying to give them a bit of help to get to the preliminary final (at least), because I'm thinking they want then to succeed to justify them getting one of the initial licences which I think was a bit of a surprise at the time.

Good point - oh for an uncompromised, fair draw for all ...

ELEVEN new rules or rule interpretations will be in play in the 2019 NAB AFL Women's season.

Of the 11 changes, eight follow the alterations made to the AFL rules, given both competitions are governed by the Laws of the Game.

Three AFLW-specific rules will also come into play next year after they were approved by the AFL Commission last month and presented to the AFLW Competition Committee on Wednesday.

The AFLW-specific rules will see:
  • Boundary throw-ins to be brought in by 10 metres, with the aim of creating more space around the contest and fewer secondary stoppages
  • Last touch applied only between the 50-metre arcs, with the ball to be thrown in after it crosses the boundary line inside-50
  • Runners and water-carriers allowed on the field during live play, given the hot temperatures experienced in February and March, and the greater number of inexperienced players
The only AFLW-specific rule which was presented to the Commission but not applied was an 18-metre extended goalsquare, which has also not been adopted in the AFL.

The rules variations that will apply to both the AFL and the AFLW include:
  • A 5-6-5 playing formation at centre bounces, with five forwards (including one inside the goalsquare itself), six midfielders (including the ruck) and five defenders lining up in "traditional playing positions". This becomes a formal rule, having been presented as a 'spirit of the game' guideline in 2018
  • For kick-ins from a behind, players will no longer need to kick to themselves before playing on out of the goal square. Opposition players standing the mark will now be positioned 10 metres from the top of the goalsquare, as oppose to the current five
  • When defenders mark or receive a free kick within nine metres of their own goal, the player on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goalsquare
  • Players cannot set up behind the umpire at centre bounces
  • Players who have been given a 50m penalty can play on while the penalty is being measured out
  • Players can now kick across their body using a snap or checkside kick after taking a mark after the siren. The player still has to dispose of the ball while directly in line with the player on the mark
  • Players are now able to place their hands in the back of an opponent to protect marking space, but are not allowed to push the player in the back
  • Rucks who take possession of the ball in a ruck contest (bounce or throw-in) will no longer be regarded as already having had prior opportunity if immediately tackled. Ruck nominations will only be needed if there is confusion over who the contesting ruck is

Also interesting to note that the AFLW umpires will be specific to the AFLW competition next year which is a change from past years

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-07/aflw-eleven-rule-tweaks-in-place-for-2019-season

GEELONG will host a family-friendly AFLW meet and greet at Deakin University in what will be Cats fans’ first opportunity to see the girls in action.

Fans will have the opportunity to watch the Cats train at the Waurn Ponds Elite Sports Precinct on 24 November from 10am, with autograph and photo opportunities to follow.

There will be plenty of activities to keep the kids occupied, with face painting and jumping castles rounding out an action-packed morning of AFLW action.

The side will be in its first full week of training at the club, as it brings a full squad of thirty players together in readiness for the club’s inaugural AFLW season.

Geelong has finalised its AFLW coaching structure ahead of the club’s inaugural season which will see defender Tom Stewart and former Cat Aaron Black join the ranks as assistant coaches.

Paul Hood will lead the AFLW side as senior coach, supported by assistant coaches Stewart, Black and Natalie Wood...

...Geelong’s AFLW side will begin training on Tuesday 20 November.

Geelong’s AFL Coaching Group
Paul Hood – Senior AFLW Coach
Natalie Wood – Assistant Coach (midfield)
Tom Stewart – Assistant Coach (defence)
Aaron Black – Assistant Coach (attack)
Oscar Owens – Development Coach
David Morgan – Development Coach

Good luck to Stewart & Black in their new coaching roles.

I'm thinking the move into coaching will have a postive impact on Stewart's game and bring a new perspective/reflections on his own game & performances.

http://m.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-11-19/aflw-stewart-and-black-join-coaching-ranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back