Geelong Fined 40k for breaching TPP lodgement rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Brilliant by Geelong.

"Self report" this minor infraction so the AFL don't notice that Patrick Dangerfield's under the cap payments are $15,000 a year of Quilton 36 packs, or Luke Dahlhaus’ official contract is for a weekly 2 for 1 meal at the Corio Roadhouse.

You're all playing checkers while we're playing chess, illegally.

Last edited:
Blinded by the west coast one

Nothing can blind systematic performance enhancing injections to virtually entire playing group except trauma caused amnesia. Like finding out your club organised systemic performance enhancing injections to virtually the entire playing group.

Oh and tried to cover it up and blame others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats whacked with $40K fine for ‘inadvertent administrative error’

Hardly a "whack", more like a donation to the AFL Xmas party.

“We made an inadvertent administrative error in our TPP related reporting that has been repeated over eight years,” Cats chief financial officer Simon Kelleher said.

So they admit to doing it for 8-years yet it is considered to be an administrative error ?? FMD, the AFL make up their rules on the run.

As for the person(s) who are employed by the club to carry out these duties, are they down at Centrelink applying for benefits now ??

GST is not particularly complex. Surely they have an internal audit process, as well as arm's length external auditors. 8 years undetected sounds remarkable. Bit of a whiff here

AFL would've received the paperwork for 8 years as well, and even they didn't pick it up until Geelong brought it to their attention. Is that Geelong's fault as well?

Didn't Demetriou tell Essendon to self report before shit hit the fan with ASADA? Given we are talking about AFL house here, cant help but notice this coincidence
I suppose the difference here is that Demetriou / the AFL knew what was coming with Essendon. AFL would not have known about the Geelong situation if GFC hadn't reported it

I suppose the difference here is that Demetriou / the AFL knew what was coming with Essendon. AFL would not have known about the Geelong situation if GFC hadn't reported it

That's according to the version of events we are currently being presented with. I wouldn't rule out the AFL knowing about Geelong's breach and possibly a whistle blower forcing the AFL/Geelong to self report before it blows up like the Essendon saga.

That's according to the version of events we are currently being presented with. I wouldn't rule out the AFL knowing about Geelong's breach and possibly a whistle blower forcing the AFL/Geelong to self report before it blows up like the Essendon saga.
LOL, "before it blows up like the Essendon saga"

I wonder if this self reporting was anything like how Essendon "self reported" their doping program after being tipped off by the AFL.

The Dons got off lightly in the 90's for massive cheating including their premiership year, because they had "Honest" Ron Evans as their inside man.

AFL would've received the paperwork for 8 years as well, and even they didn't pick it up until Geelong brought it to their attention. Is that Geelong's fault as well?
Well, if its such a deeply embedded pesky admin error that has avoided three tiers of audit (self, independent, AFL), then there needs to be an AFL -wide audit of all the clubs , who could unknowingly fall into the same trap. So I assume AFL house will be in touch with the other 17 clubs for a review. If not, why not?

Weird penalty. Initially I thought they were over the cap by $40k which suits the narrative of admin error.

If they've been over the cap by $5k a year then who cares? That's not even two match payments for a draftee. If they've been overby $10k, $20k, $50k a year then why such a nothing penalty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong Fined 40k for breaching TPP lodgement rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Back