Resource Geelong Football Club history

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been browsing the wonderful newspaper archives on the NLA and have come across some fantastic pieces. I think we should have a thread to post all the interesting things about our historic club, whether they are photos, articles, or other.

This is a fine way to start:

There was no doubt which side had the sympathy of the crowd, for, though Collingwood were applauded as they came out, Geelong were given an ovation. The Australian public likes the man who climbs the hill, and Geelong, coming up year after year without success, always making a good showing, always giving an attractive display, has always been a favourite team. The long lane Geelong has had to traverse, the sleep hill it has had to climb, has won the teams which have worn the blue-and-white barred jerseys thousands of supporters in Melbourne; many of whom, strong supporters of their own clubs, always gave Geelong second preference.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2151253?searchTerm=blue white&searchLimits=l-publictag=Geelong+Football+Club|||l-format=Article

Sounds like it could have been written in October last year, however it was printed in The Argus, 12 October 1925!

Last edited:
Posted this in a thread at the start of last year; like your piece SJ taken from TROVE and also just as applicable now as it was then (1952)

TheArgus.jpg

It anyone wants to catch up on some of Geelong's VFA history - scores/ladders and other VFA material is being put together here:

VFA Results and Tables

For those interested in history Full Points Footy is in the process of being
revamped as Australian Football - Celebrating the History of the Great Australian Game.

The First Grand Final?

The play-off between Collingwood and Sth Melbourne in 1896 when both finished their seasons equal top of the ladder is usually presented as the
first "Grand Final". However Geelong's first VFA Premiership in 1878 has elements of being decided by a grand final with a final deciding match against Melbourne.

"the only question remaining to be decided was which was entitled to fill the highest place."

The Argus Monday 7 October 1878, page 6 - Full match description - note the field placings - Geelong has Sandilands following and three 'South Sides' and three 'North Wing Sides'.

This match also saw the first 'football special' train arranged to bring supporters from Geelong to Melbourne for the match.

Also note that Geelong's 1963 Premiership decider was played on 5 October too.

Pretty sure 'goal' was the name given to the fullback at that stage, wasn't it?

That's correct and as late as the 1950's the South and West Australian newspapers referred to 'goalkeepers' not 'full backs".

An example from 1954

In Victoria the end being defended was a team's 'goal' until towards the end of the 1965 season when the Football Record switched it to the goal being attacked. Doug Wade played in Hawthorn's 'goal' in the 1963 Grand Final.

We really need someone with mad computer skills to start a wiki or blueseum type thing. Id' be happy to chip in $20 to get it started. How many board members are there?

We really need someone with mad computer skills to start a wiki or blueseum type thing. Id' be happy to chip in $20 to get it started. How many board members are there?
I have seriously thought about it, Demonwiki and Blueseum are unbelievable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't need 'mad' computer skills - Blueseum runs on this:

http://info.tiki.org/ (free software)

Can be used to set up a 'Wiki'

A wiki is simply a a web page that anyone (with permission) can edit — without needing to learn HTML. All you need is a browser to begin creating and editing pages in a collaborative environment. Tiki wiki pages feature:

• WYSIWYG and Wiki-based editing environment
  • Full history retention, including comparison (diff) between any two revisions
  • Structured (collated) pages
  • Staging and approval
  • Comments, attachments, and graphics
  • Hundreds of plugins (extensions) that allow you to include anything in a page.

Cost would be registration of a domain name and hosting.

Needs however some skilled and dedicate administrators to keep it in order.

(I'm not volunteering at this stage! But would contribute to the content.)

Thanks Roger. Moves are afoot!

Ok so the way I see it we would need someone who has a knowledge of Wiki pages (I have used HTML before but haven't made a website in 10 years), someone with a bit of graphic design skill, a handful of people to 'run' the site and contribute regularly and build from there. There are a couple of other Geelong people on BigFooty I know of who are keen on history and stats who would also probably be interested.

Thoughts of a name? Pivotpedia? :)

I'm very keen to get involved. A brilliant idea! I've been researching the history of the GFC for a while and I have a bit of info stored on my old computers hard drive. I've been in the midst of producing some material and Now that I have purchased a new computer it's all systems go again.
I wont be of much help with the web design, etc though.

Ok so the way I see it we would need someone who has a knowledge of Wiki pages (I have used HTML before but haven't made a website in 10 years), someone with a bit of graphic design skill, a handful of people to 'run' the site and contribute regularly and build from there. There are a couple of other Geelong people on BigFooty I know of who are keen on history and stats who would also probably be interested.

Might have some copyright issues...or we'll get a lot of hits from farmers.

Like moondog, I can help with content but don't know much about the technical side of things. I'd also ask - what's the actual content going to be? It's easy enough to compile statistics, but there's plenty of sources (published and online) that already do that. Is it going to be an archive of the stuff we've seen in this thread (old match reports, footy paraphenalia like Records, cig cards etc), content we've generated or both?

Might have some copyright issues...or we'll get a lot of hits from farmers.

Like moondog, I can help with content but don't know much about the technical side of things. I'd also ask - what's the actual content going to be? It's easy enough to compile statistics, but there's plenty of sources (published and online) that already do that. Is it going to be an archive of the stuff we've seen in this thread (old match reports, footy paraphenalia like Records, cig cards etc), content we've generated or both?
http://demonwiki.org/tiki-index.php

http://www.blueseum.org/

Have a look at these two.

Anyone who feels that they might have the time should download the Tiki program http://info.tiki.org/ and have a play with it. Your internet service provider should have enough free web space available to set up a trial version to see how it works. Once its up it can be just like using, adding to and editing Wikipedia.

"Pivotpedia" would take in everything from 1859 whereas something with "Cats" really only applies from the 2nd half of the 20th century when the Cats mascot really took off and became official. If referred to as "Cats" in the media from the middle 1920's (rare) to the early 1950's (more common) they were the "Black Cats". The Football Record under the editorship of George Cathie and his son Bill 1912-1960 never called Geelong "Cats". A few times they were "Seagulls" (even after the Wells' 1923 "Black Cat" cartoon) but consistently they were the "Pivotonians".

Maybe CatterLog or Cat-a- pedia? :D

ex-Graphic Designer. Helped produce local club history of 220+pp. Some HTML, computer skills. May be able to help. Proof reading, etc.
Edit: And returning RR's argument: the Pivots were only unofficially recognised as such during the earlier part of last century. At least "The Cats" is the official motif and much more identifiable to current readers. It would be more accessible to them. It also covers a significant part of our total history, circa late 20's to present.
I take the point that Pivots has a historical connection.
I wonder if Hawthorn banner The Mayflowers in their web site?

hehehehe. (I really hope so!! ;))

picture.php

An image from the 1937 GF between Geelong and Collingwood with supporters spilling onto the ground.
How times have changed.

An image of supporters on the Moorabool st wing trying to gain a vantage point.

picture.php

You might have to save those to your hard drive and upload somewhere else for the rest of us to see them.

Can't you see those pictures? Didn't they upload properly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Geelong Football Club history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back