Autopsy Geelong loses to Demons by 25 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

I just wonder how we planned to get it to Cameron, given we struggle to get it to Hawkins.....
One playing deeper and the other further up the ground

Missing a linking option, and when Hawkins stays deep he's not really leading

I hope Narkle is given another game next week. I think he did okay given his time on ground. He seems to be one who has had all his natural flair and attack on the ball sucked out of him though, so he will need to get that back quick smart, or his AFL days will be numbered..

... I attempted a best 22 for next week, but it was too depressing..

One playing deeper and the other further up the ground

Missing a linking option, and when Hawkins stays deep he's not really leading

That's the expectation, but I'm just not sure it'll be the reality.

I know we have some injuries, as nearly all clubs do, but we look disjointed somehow, and there was no reason for them to be so lacking with their motivation today.

Yeah not bad, unfortunately can't take it of yesterday game against Collingwood as they didn't have a ruck. But 2 weeks back he was named in the best...
Would you like us go after Sean Darcy? Or we just stick to kids what we got in the draft like Neale and the Greek...

Not sure re Darcy - age and experience wise he seems a good fit, but I honestly just don't watch enough Freo games to have an opinion on him.

I'm inclined to back Stanley in, but maybe we could go down the Bulldogs' path and play De Koning, Neale or Sir Taps-a-lot and just accept that we will get smashed in the ruck while they gain experience, like the Dogs did with English. Some might say we're already getting smashed there anyway...

Not really what he said was it? But, please, carry on...

How did you interpret his comments?

I don't think I paraphrased him unfairly; he was having a sook.

Backtracked a bit later in the week with the old 'well, I was asked the question' ''defense'' which I found just as irritating; take ownership of your comments or else be smarter and don't give a straight answer (something that he is perfectly capable of).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the expectation, but I'm just not sure it'll be the reality.

I know we have some injuries, as nearly all clubs do, but we look disjointed somehow, and there was no reason for them to be so lacking with their motivation today.
I don't think it's motivation. They're just a month behind in prep and missing several key pieces. I don't think anyone should seriously have been expecting much else

Geelong have looked out-worked in every game this year, the opposition has pressured harder and run harder when in offense. The culture is poor, the leadership from the club 'leaders' is lacking.

This is the biggest problem, they look like a bunch of individuals. There's no real signs that they're out there happy to work for each other. They look out of sync, just turning up to get through a game. No spirit, no real signs of hunger, no intent to truly win and sacrifice for each other in order to to do it.

The midfield without Dangerfield is a one speed mess. The skill level is lacking, no run, no burst, just lots of crabbing and a lack of confidence in moving the football. Clubs are strolling through the corridor and beating us back into their forward 50 consistently.

I never thought Geelong would be the worst team to watch in the league. Well, they're in the running right now... The game is leaving this club behind.

I don't think it's motivation. They're just a month behind in prep and missing several key pieces. I don't think anyone should seriously have been expecting much else

Yes it is.

You can't see the difference between the Geelong players and opposition in defensive pressure? Against Adelaide and Melbourne it was beyond obvious.

He certainly looks like a bloke burnt out and not enjoying it anymore. Our performances are reflecting his attitude at the moment.

We're definitely undermanned at the minute and that is unquestionably a mitigating factor - but having the coach publicly air the 'woe is me' stuff is not a good look and I can't help but wonder if that attitude has permeated the Geelong bubble.

The loss was hard to stomach, but it was the absolute lack of enthusiasm that stood out to me today; we were very very flat.

Pre season we were all tugging about how good we are going to be.
Agreed. And most seemed to be on the vinegar stroke regarding our recruitment rather than our development.

Even now we're all busy backing our fortunes on the return of PD and JC like that will cover the gaping holes our lack of development has left. Call me old fashioned, but I still believe a champion team will always beat a team of champions.

Out of genuine curiosity, when was the last time a team topped up and won a premiership? Getting in specific players toward the end of a build on youth seems to be a good recipe, as opposed to never building and constantly trying to buy a premiership with high profile recruits.

On a positive note, I really liked Close's game. Stat's would suggest he works hard at both ends of the ground. Lead the tackle count in f50 and I think he also had most pressure acts in defensive half. Surely he can keep a spot now in front of some of the other plunkets we've been gifting games to.

That said, we'll be a much better team with Cameron in and Dangerfield back. Watching Hawkins up the field delivering to Cameron will be a delight.

We didn't have the pieces to win the game, pretty simply.

We'll be back. Richmond 2007, North 2021. Next week is going to be huge.

The side that beat Richmond in early 2007 had one player aged 30 (Milburn), and three players aged 27 (Scarlett, Mooney, and Ottens). Everyone else was younger. You read that right - only FOUR players aged 27 or older.

The side that lost today has two players aged 32 (Selwood and Hawkins), two players aged 31 (Henderson and Tuohy), two players aged 30 (Stanley and Blicavs), two players aged 29 (Menegola and Duncan), and three players aged 28 (Guthrie, Stewart, and Dahlhaus). Include Bews (27) and that is TWELVE players aged 27 or older. With Dangerfield (31), Higgins (33), and Rohan (29) to return.

I suspect there's a small difference in the age profile of the two teams.

Tom Brush

Top fan
Tom Brush Geelong: Hey, we have a really good player, that’s doing a great job in defence. Let’s move them to another position! Ben Graham, Harry Taylor, Mark Blicavs, Jack Henry.
This from our Facebook site.
Element of truth.

I concede some pieces are missing, but I'm not convinced by the 'month behind in prep' thing.......

Maybe 'attitude' is a better word than 'motivation'. There seemed to be little desire for the contest today, and even the commentators noticed it.

Something just doesn't seem right. Will be interested to see if the inclusion of Danger, Cameron etc change my perspective.

Out of genuine curiosity, when was the last time a team topped up and won a premiership? Getting in specific players toward the end of a build on youth seems to be a good recipe, as opposed to never building and constantly trying to buy a premiership with high profile recruits.

We're still waiting. But you'll be told endlessly how free agency has changed the landscape.

Back on Planet Earth, patiently building a solid core of players developing together seems to work rather well. Or at least it did for Geelong, Hawthorn, the Dogs, and Richmond.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back