MRP / Trib. Geelong MRO & Tribunal decisions 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing but unsurprising. Duncan getting off was unexpected and there's no way the AFL would let us catch two breaks in a row, particularly not when we're playing Richmond.

IIRC, I saw some footage from the other side of that Close tackle they've been playing on TV, and it did look like Close had Dawson's left arm. Tough break for Close. I thought it was a free kick at worst.

The AFL has put ALL the onus on the tackler.

They are now required to release the arm/s the moment they sense the tackle is taking the player to ground........just like a player punching the ball away has to avoid any contact with the player attempting to mark.

It's unofficial Touch Footy.

Hard to make sense of the MRO / tribunal process which is becoming farcical.

At least it’s not, close but no ceglar for you guys. :$

It's just a rubber stamping process now.

Their 'reasoning' on decisions is becoming increasingly out of touch with the footy public, but slobbers after the AFL's lawyers.

Incoming handpasses in tackles... My pet peeve is our players not pinning arms when tackling which always allows opposition to get a handpass out into space. Now they will be even more scared to pin arms and we will end up with opposition ruining us.

So now players will be wary of punching the ball away from their opponent......

Was it against Carlton where Hawkins got caught behind and went the spoil up forward but collected his opponent in the face instead?

There was no mention of anything by the MRO, though a few opposition fans wanted him suspended

Was it against Carlton where Hawkins got caught behind and went the spoil up forward but collected his opponent in the face instead?

There was no mention of anything by the MRO, though a few opposition fans wanted him suspended

Think so, yes.

The AFL has set a clear precedent now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that was on May, a game v Melbourne?

Yep in 2021 at the G. Completely accidental, no malice at all.

Sorry to interject, but Brad Close should have gotten off. The AFL is a joke.

Brad is just that amazing that he can ragdoll a guy 15kg heavier than him, who is moving, all while basically stationary
360 said he had 21kgs on Brad. Imagine if he was the same weight with a tackle that fierce he probably sends Dawson to the Earths core.

I’ve tried my best not to get upset with suspensions this year.
But geez what have we become so quickly?
Less than a decade ago no one was being suspended for tackling but then we got a bad sling tackle. Then it moved to two actions, then we couldn’t dump and now everyone is responsible even when the person being tackled is responsible.
Dawson is falling over, how dare a little 67kg player pin one arm in a tackle.

Get rid of the ball Dawson for your own benefit.
Thats what annoys me in this. Brad had a strong hold on Dawsons left arm. Dawsons right arm was holding the footy and Brad had his right hand on Dawsons bicep. Why aren't they talking about the fact Dawson could have just released the ball and then would practically have an arm free. I doubt Close is out muscling Dawson here. But Dawson doesn't want to give up the ball because Blicavs is right in front of him.

Now the AFL, in the smallest fraction of a second, want players to know they are going to ground and to release the tackle?
1683628774684.png

Close is ****ing upright when he starts the tackle while Dawson is on a lean trying to run past and break the tackle. Dawson is already on his way down when the tackle starts. But in the smallest fraction of time they want Close to let go? That would be about here in this still, meaning Dawson just runs past.

7l2q80.jpg

IIRC, I saw some footage from the other side of that Close tackle they've been playing on TV, and it did look like Close had Dawson's left arm. Tough break for Close. I thought it was a free kick at worst.
Close had Dawsons left hand/wrist with his. Thats not the issue. The issue is he is barely holding him by the right arm with his right hand when Dawson tries to break the tackle. Dawson holds the ball, and has no way to protect himself.

If Dawson dropped the ball, he has an arm free, but with his momentum he is still totally going to eat shit. The question then is will the AFL suspend Close in that circumstance? I think yes, and thats the issue. Double motion tackles are easy to stamp out and shouldn't be a thing. Ditto dump tackles. What Close did was neither.
No two actions. No dumping motion. All Dawsons momentum.

Its a horrendous call.

360 said he had 21kgs on Brad. Imagine if he was the same weight with a tackle that fierce he probably sends Dawson to the Earths core.

Thats what annoys me in this. Brad had a strong hold on Dawsons left arm. Dawsons right arm was holding the footy and Brad had his right hand on Dawsons bicep. Why aren't they talking about the fact Dawson could have just released the ball and then would practically have an arm free. I doubt Close is out muscling Dawson here. But Dawson doesn't want to give up the ball because Blicavs is right in front of him.

Now the AFL, in the smallest fraction of a second, want players to know they are going to ground and to release the tackle?
View attachment 1683069

Close is ******* upright when he starts the tackle while Dawson is on a lean trying to run past and break the tackle. Dawson is already on his way down when the tackle starts. But in the smallest fraction of time they want Close to let go? That would be about here in this still, meaning Dawson just runs past.

7l2q80.jpg

The AFL clearly considers ALL the responsibility to rest with the tackler.

Watch tackles, and punches of the ball, suddenly get softer and more considered, whilst fans go nuts for their players not going hard enough.

Then the footy public will accept it as being routine, and the AFL will tick it off as another step forward in conditioning the masses.

Thats bloody soccer.

Even in soccer you can contest the ball. Same with Basketball. These are non-contact sports, yet you need to tackle/spoil, to attempt to block the shot/get the ball back.

If we go with the JVR precedent moving forward, we're saying that you can't contest the ball, if you miss it. Make it a free kick for sure. But suspensions every time it happens - there'll be no-one left to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Geelong MRO & Tribunal decisions 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back