MRP / Trib. Geelong MRO & Tribunal decisions 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

So, just so I'm clear in my own mind.
Do the AFL want players to perform the hip drop tackle cause there aren't any other forms they can do without being suspended?

According to Point 1 of the findings: "At and prior to the moment of impact, he pinned or restrained both of Dawson's arms, and particularly had hold of Dawson's left arm and did not release it"

So the tribunal found Close did pin or restrain both arms
So what do you make of point 2 where they say he was holding the left and pushing on the right all Dawson had to do was let go of the ball and he had a free arm.

Trying not to post too often these days...but gee...this one has got me thrown for a loop.

Where is the player's duty of care to THEMSELVES? Why can a player burst through a tackle, throw themselves to the ground, and not even cop holding the ball?

There were so many times that holding the ball should have been called on Saturday - yet this incident they didn't call it, but then called the second action - a dangerous tackle?

The AFL always does this. Why can't they just get the players to sign a waiver, to prevent future litigation? This has got to stop. You play a contact sport, your head is going to hit the ground occasionally.

If we don't accept that, the AFL will no longer be a contact sport. Then it's gone forever.

So any tackle that has the head hit the ground is now done.

Only way someone doesn't get done is if the MRO just completely ignore it and pretend it didn't happen
Which they will. Just clue in on the media vegie to see if theygo with the same dressing as with Close. If it's a favorite, that messaging will be silenced or very non-committal (which is what it really should be anyway).
Will they explain clearly what a player like Close should have done in that situation in that amount of reaction time.

I wonder when the first 'Ole' tackle attempt will be. Hand pulled back in the last moment when the would be tackler realizes he would be taking the ball carrier to the ground and risks suspension.

Trying not to post too often these days...but gee...this one has got me thrown for a loop.

Where is the player's duty of care to THEMSELVES? Why can a player burst through a tackle, throw themselves to the ground, and not even cop holding the ball?

There were so many times that holding the ball should have been called on Saturday - yet this incident they didn't call it, but then called the second action - a dangerous tackle?

The AFL always does this. Why can't they just get the players to sign a waiver, to prevent future litigation? This has got to stop. You play a contact sport, your head is going to hit the ground occasionally.

If we don't accept that, the AFL will no longer be a contact sport. Then it's gone forever.
So if the initial contact between players doesn't (softly) bring him to the ground, then anything else is a second action. The tackler has to let them go, I guess.

It really is baffling that it was cited to begin with, as according to their own guidelines it had to be upheld.

Absolutely disgusting and typically disgraceful of a pathetic tribunal system that makes s**t up on the fly to suit what ever rule they are trying to force through.

And * Fox Footy for pushing hard for this outcome on their show.

Was never a week in this tackle, and it screams of the AFL trying to get rid of tackles from the sport.

The core of the matter is in your last sentence.

The AFL’s argument seems to be that you need to let go of a player once it looks like they are heading towards the ground.

You could probably argue by doing that you may actually put them in a more dangerous position than they would have been in if held. Although the AFL will probably also get you then by saying that the act of releasing them put them into a dangerous positing if their head still hits the ground.

Having an arm free in a tackle is no guarantee at all that a player will not be injured. Stengel had his arm broken and also still had his head hit the ground at the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve tried my best not to get upset with suspensions this year.
But geez what have we become so quickly?
Less than a decade ago no one was being suspended for tackling but then we got a bad sling tackle. Then it moved to two actions, then we couldn’t dump and now everyone is responsible even when the person being tackled is responsible.
Dawson is falling over, how dare a little 67kg player pin one arm in a tackle.

Get rid of the ball Dawson for your own benefit.

In future, if there's any chance of a tackle going to ground, do not pin either arm for the love of god.

The AFL has essentially reduced the game to standing tackles only.

The game is dying by a 1000 cuts.
It's not perfect but players will gradually phase to only committing to chase down tackles if they can roll them over. Might take a couple of years to train it but there will be some technical modifications going forward.

It's not perfect but players will gradually phase to only committing to chase down tackles if they can roll them over. Might take a couple of years to train it but there will be some technical modifications going forward.

Not sure coaches and players will be keen to take the risk. A 'rolling tackle' could still go wildly astray, despite the training.

Watch players be soft on tackles starting this week.

they make it sound like it was an intentional attempt to hurt Dawson, and that Dawson was being ragdolled by CLose.
They conveniently mention he could not brace with his left arm as it was “pinned” but fail to mention Dawson made the decision not to let go of the footy and protect himself with his right hand. Dawson failed his own duty of care on a few occasions here

They conveniently mention he could not brace with his left arm as it was “pinned” but fail to mention Dawson made the decision not to let go of the footy and protect himself with his right hand. Dawson failed his own duty of care on a few occasions here

The AFL is putting ALL the onus on the tackler.

They are actively campaigning to remove tackling from the game.

Like JB said, the game is now hostage to the fear of litigation.

Not sure coaches and players will be keen to take the risk. A 'rolling tackle' could still go wildly astray, despite the training.

Watch players be soft on tackles starting this week.

If I'm a player and I get wrapped up in the goal square in the last minute of a game, final or GF and my team is 1 point down.

I'm doing everything I can to drive my head into the ground to milk a free... The tackler getting weeks is just a bonus lol.

It'll get rorted 100%

If I'm a player and I get wrapped up in the goal square in the last minute of a game, final or GF and my team is 1 point down.

I'm doing everything I can to drive my head into the ground to milk a free... The tackler coping weeks is just a bonus lol.

It'll get rorted 100%

The AFL / Tribunal has created a monster, and it's getting away from them.

It all happened when the AFL lost touch with commonsense.

Honestly the game is becoming f$&kin bullsh!t game to watch... Honestly the way players getting suspended for just doing fair tackles... I only basically watch Geelong only because how you can't do this bla bla...
I watched a country football game on the weekend, it was slot more enjoyable to watch as there was no political can't do rules...

There's been more but that Hawthorn bloke shouldn't have got a couple of weeks, Merrett shouldn't have missed ANZAC day and Close shouldn't miss a week. The genuine slings like the one Broad did are fair game to be banned, but ones like these three are as close to unavoidable as you can get.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Geelong MRO & Tribunal decisions 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back