Geelong rorting the system

Remove this Banner Ad

Dank and Robinson were completely above board and transparent during their years at Geelong. The incredible list wide bulk up over the pre-season in 2007 was due to eating veggies and doing weights.

Yeah that’s a good point. We fell a kick and a half short of the threepeat lions in 2004 in the prelim and lost to the premiers because of Nick Davis in 2005 then suddenly got too small to compete in 2006 and got big again in 2007

Yeah that’s a good point. We fell a kick and a half short of the threepeat lions in 2004 in the prelim and lost to the premiers because of Nick Davis in 2005 then suddenly got too small to compete in 2006 and got big again in 2007
Don't be absurd. Geelong were always big enough to compete, it was the completely on the books training program of veggies and weights that saw them get the extra size in 2007.

Well if he’s actually doing something doesn’t that make it easier to digest?
I personally would have assumed he’d literally turn up and speak for 15 minutes at 1-2 corporate events and that would be it
If he's actually contributing and getting renumerated in line with what any other suitably qualified person would be getting without this existing link and without any other form of kickbacks then sure, fair play. But by his own admission senior coaching is a stressful existence. If people are being honest with themselves then his contributions are probably going to be very limited and more in line with what you've suggested.

And if that's the case then why would Morris bother with putting him on their books? They could already get him to speak at corporate events under the existing sponsorship arrangement. Perhaps they now contribute less sponsorship dollars for the same return, or contribute the same or more and get significantly more value than they did previously. In either case they'll essentially just be paying him to do his primary role of senior coach at Geelong and occasionally pop-in to do some corporate events which he was probably already doing previously.

It is possible the whole arrangement is legitimate, but it's very clear why people think this stinks of cap rorting.

It is possible the whole arrangement is legitimate, but it's very clear why people think this stinks of cap rorting.
Very clear? How so? I bet you subscribe to the "guilty before being proven innocent" mantra.

Do you honestly think Scott and the Club would allow the media release of his appointment to be so public if it was not above board? Just think about that for five seconds...

Still not sure what Elixuh is implying. Nowhere is it stated a coach cannot earn income from other sources. Hell, all 18 Clubs are now allowed to pay 20% of the coaches salaries outside the soft cap.

Did we hear Elixuh lauding Scott for taking a massive pay cut during Covid so others within the club could keep their jobs? Of course not.

And what about Ross Lyon appearing on an Uber Food advertisement? Didn't see any post from you on that. Or Scott and other coaches appearing on Fox Footy on a regular basis as panel members?

I

What is the point of having pay caps if everyone can just get jobs with the sponsors?

Get rid of caps altogether ?

What is the point of having pay caps if everyone can just get jobs with the sponsors?

Get rid of caps altogether ?
Probably a restriction of trade legal requirement.
Just because it is professional sport doesn't mean you'd be allowed to prevent people earning money from a 2nd job.

Hence why 3rd party player deals are also included, but have to represent fair value for the work they do.

Probably a restriction of trade legal requirement.
Just because it is professional sport doesn't mean you'd be allowed to prevent people earning money from a 2nd job.

Hence why 3rd party player deals are also included, but have to represent fair value for the work they do.

They can have a 2nd job. But if its related to the club then it counts towards the cap.

Is Geelong paying less of Scott's salary now?

Who decides "fair value"? If Jai Newcombe gives a speech at a major sponsor can it be factored at Bill Clinton level fees if the sponsor sees Newcombe at that level of importance? Does Laura overrule and drop it to Al Gore level ?

Was there this much of a fuss when John Longmire sold his house at more than a million dollar profit after just 9 days on the market through Realestate.com - one of Sydney’s major sponsors? I bet he paid a huge agency fee for that.

If you look hard enough you will find whatever you want to find.

Very clear? How so? I bet you subscribe to the "guilty before being proven innocent" mantra.

Do you honestly think Scott and the Club would allow the media release of his appointment to be so public if it was not above board? Just think about that for five seconds...

Not sure why you've included that link that says clubs are allowed to pay senior coaches up to 20% of their salary outside of the soft cap. That's got absolutely nothing to do with club sponsors paying the senior coach to do a C-suite role that they just created while also acknowledging that their senior coaching role will remain their primary responsibility.

And I said it's very clear why people think this stinks of cap rorting. Not that it's very clear that this is cap rorting.

I also said this could be legitimate. But we won't know until it is investigated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was there this much of a fuss when John Longmire sold his house at more than a million dollar profit after just 9 days on the market through Realestate.com - one of Sydney’s major sponsors? I bet he paid a huge agency fee for that.

If you look hard enough you will find whatever you want to find.

This is the problem. The AFL doeant look hard. They dont want to know.

Yet another issue swept under the bulging rug.

Not sure why you've included that link that says clubs are allowed to pay senior coaches up to 20% of their salary outside of the soft cap. That's got absolutely nothing to do with club sponsors paying the senior coach to do a C-suite role that they just created while also acknowledging that their senior coaching role will remain their primary responsibility.

And I said it's very clear why people think this stinks of cap rorting. Not that it's very clear that this is cap rorting.

I also said this could be legitimate. But we won't know until it is investigated.
You haven't responded to my actual post. How is it rorting? Rorting implies fraudulent behaviour.

As I posted earlier your view clearly is that Scott and GFC are rorting the system until it is proven otherwise.

You haven't responded to my actual post. How is it rorting? Rorting implies fraudulent behaviour.

As I posted earlier your view clearly is that Scott and GFC are rorting the system until it is proven otherwise.
I already explained why the arrangement could be viewed as cap rorting. It's on this page. You laugh reacted and quoted the last line of the post. Presumably the only line you actually read.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong rorting the system

Remove this Banner Ad

Back