Geelong rorting the system

Remove this Banner Ad

here is the official heirarchy of AFL have's to have-not's, if you're ever wondering why this happened to this club but not that, if you're ever wondering why X got suspended but Y got off, anything and everything, consult the table

Geelong
Melbourne
Collingwood
West Coast
Sydney
Brisbane
Richmond
Hawthorn
Carlton
Bulldogs
Gold Coast
West Sydney
Essendon
North Melbourne
Fremantle
St. Kilda
Adelaide
Port Adelaide

West Coast should be anchored to the bottom mate, not near the top, lmao.
I have posted this before and will post it again...

AFL in my opinion with the 18 clubs have prefered these certain (group of) clubs to win the flag.

1. NSW (Sydney and GWS) and Queensland (Brisbane and Gold coast ) clubs

2. Teams that play home games at the MCG (Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne, Richmond and Hawthorn).

3. Geelong

4. Teams that play home games at docklands. (Saints, dogs , Kangaroos)

5. SA (Port and Crows) and WA (Eagles and dockers) .

Tassie will be bunched into the SA and WA sides. Once Tassie has 400,000 each for Hobart and Launceston, each of them will have a club they will be in the bottom too as prefered winners.

No idea but in WA, the Optus deal wasn’t as lucrative as the Subi deal as the stadium operator was paying a proportion back to the state government for the 1.5B stadium they built. The ticket prices went up though and there were more seats so in the end the clubs do better out of it.

I assume the same would happen in Geelong. It’s not as simple as going off a 15 year old quote and adding on 15k seats worth of extra revenue like some punters believe.

The whole point is Geelong can pick and choose what suits them best, you have enough money that playing more at the G is better to experience the ground compared to 2 games a year most interstate teams get if they are lucky.
How much did the Eagles and Dockers contribute to Optus being built?
Cause for an assist they don’t own, Geelong contributed $50m towards the upgrades of the stadium to what it currently is.

AFL in my opinion with the 18 clubs have prefered these certain (group of) clubs to win the flag.

2. Teams that play home games at the MCG (Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne, Richmond and Hawthorn).

3. Geelong

Tassie will be bunched into the SA and WA sides. Once Tassie has 400,000 each for Hobart and Launceston, each of them will have a club they will be in the bottom too as prefered winners.

you just copied my post but got Geelong wrong

If that was the case, Gary Ablett Jr would never have gone to the Gold Coast and the Mark Blicavs Ruck Nomination Rule would never have been introduced.
1. The afl changed their rules to ensure geelong got max value for ablest leaving - they actually came out after the fact to say "special consideration" could be made

2. The ruck nomination only became a thing after several other clubs started doing it too, after the afl said there was no issue with geelongs tactics

3. Geelong

You want inequality, 18 team competition made up of the teams you have mentioned.

The finals is nearly always made up of 1/2 WA and SA sides, any combination of 2/4 Qld/NSW side, Geelong nearly always make it through home games and adding top level players.

that leaves the final 3 spots in the finals to be filled out by 3 of the 9 Melbourne clubs

Let that sink in

1. The afl changed their rules to ensure geelong got max value for ablest leaving - they actually came out after the fact to say "special consideration" could be made

2. The ruck nomination only became a thing after several other clubs started doing it too, after the afl said there was no issue with geelongs tactics
Yeah, but much like the stand rule hurt Richmond more than other sides, the ruck rule hurt Geelong more than other sides. Blicavs went up as third man more than twice as often as the next in the AFL, to cover for our weak ruck division.

Look, FWIW, I don't think there are any "favourite clubs" in the AFL bar the expansion duo (for obvious reasons).

Yes, with Ablett leaving, we did get "extra" value - yet again, the AFL making shit up on the fly, not having realised that there was going to be outrage over one of the best players of all time (and arguably the GOAT) leaving for a single first-round pick, until it happened. So instead we got two pretty ordinary first-round picks, hooray.

We had no choice. We resisted (quite aggressively) but the AFL used the salary cap affair to force us. They promised to be more lenient if we ousted Elliott and replaced him with Ian Collins' faction - Collins was CEO of Docklands stadium at the time. They then issued fines that they knew we couldn't pay, and made 'financial relief' (ie: 'loans' that allowed us to spread the fines across multiple years) dependent on a move to Docklands.

Basically - we had to accept Docklands CEO as our President, and had to move games and abandon PP or the club would have been insolvent.

So yeah, they forced us to leave.
So you accepted a deal because of promises made? That's the literal definition of having a choice.

The fact is that alot of the Vic clubs now wish they had of stayed at their suburban grounds instead of going to the MCG or Docklands.
Geelong are now getting the benefit of having their home ground intact.

Makes no sense for the AFL to show favoritism towards Geelong compared to a real 'big club' like the Tiggers, as their fans keep reminding us on BF on a regular basis.

On the contrary the AFL head honchos are probably annoyed that Geelong has hung around in the Top 8 for decades, taking a priceless finals spot in September from the so-called Big 4 and/or the clubs based in NSW and Queensland in that time. Those clubs playing in September would theoretically bring in more revenue to the AFL coffers.

Partly because Geelong supporters wallets have been dried out due to consecutive years of making finals, not fishing for sympathy from other clubs but stating a fact. And clubs with larger fan bases (i.e. Carlton, Essendon and not long ago Richmond pre 2017 and Hawthorn post 2015) are starving for a bit of success and more prepared to come in droves and purchase merchandise when ever they make the 8.

And success for franchises in NSW and Queensland grows the game in those states, more fans in heathen territory increases the amount of money that the AFL can demand for the next broadcasting rights.

I find these accusation of favoritism amusing as long there are no actual repercussions from these conspiracy theories based on nothing more than a vivid imagination or jus plain trolling.

The moment some tangible measures are introduced to punish Geelong for these dreamt up laughable theories is the moment I stopped finding it amusing.

Yeah Geelong needs to be investigated for their location and rorting the system of being located in a nice part of the state. Geelong have their advantages like all clubs, but people get shitty about them being able to work them well. Can't stand Geelong but god damn I wish the Tigers were able to identify our club's advantages and capitalise on them even 70% as well as Geelong do.

When you really break down and look at Geelong and the appeal, it is really easy to see why they can pull players. Perfectly located for players who want to be "City" or "Country" and also have a way to inspire loyalty from all the kids that play in that that region of the state. Added to this, they play the local leagues and their VFL side way smarter than anyone else. If there is someone they really want to look at they seem to be able to get them into their VFL system and if they are decent then they can pull them in cheaply.

Lastly, once they had their system up and running it is almost like perpetual motion in a way. They can develop their young kids in their VFL system. The good ones get AFL time whilst the mediocre to mid ones either hang around for back up or get let go. Their sustained success then lures people to the club to have a shot at the flag.

Lastly, Geelong seem to avoid a lot of paper time in Melbourne and you can see why Smith would want to go there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong rorting the system

Remove this Banner Ad

Back