Opinion Geelong v Sydney GF. Neutral supporter prediction/analysis

Who will win the flag

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If Sydney loses it won't be because of the intensity of the prelim. Teams good enough to get this far are good enough and fit enough to lift for two big games 7 days apart.

When people are looking back on this season, on paper it will say 1 v 3, but I think it is the clear two best teams of the year. That's all anyone can ask for as a neutral. I'm proud to know I sensed Sydney's rising quality this year before most others, when people were still talking about the Dees and Lions as Geelong's top challengers, I felt Sydney's best posed the biggest risk to a Geelong premiership.

Geelong is 1.58 on sportsbet, while I think they deserve to be favourites I think that is a little too short. 1.70 would be more appropriate in my opinion.

The Swans success is built on a lot of input from a lot of young players. The one question mark is not the intensity of the prelim but if those young talented stars can perform in the big dance their first time up. Because of that, I feel if the Swans win this one it could be the start of a dynasty, they could be a Richmond because so many of their top players still have their best years ahead of them. On the other hand, I think Geelong needs this one more because I don't see them being elite for much longer.

On the other hand, I think Geelong needs this one more because I don't see them being elite for much longer.

We've heard this for the last 12 years...by law of averages it'll probably be right sooner or later, but success is not manufactured, it is earned. There's a reason Geelong have never finished lower than 12th and missed Top 8 once (finishing 9th) in the last 15 years, and it's got nothing to do with the talent on our list - it's our culture. Same with Sydney.

For perspective, this is our side in 2024 once Hawkins, Selwood, Smith, Stanley, Ceglar, Dahlhaus, Higgins, Tuohy, Rohan all retire and O. Henry and Bruhn (likely) at a minimum come in:

B: Zuthrie, SDK, Henry
HB: Bews, Kolo, Stewart
C: Holmes, C. Guthrie, Duncan
FO: Conway, Danger, T. Atkins
HF: Miers, J. Cameron, O. Henry
F: Stengle, S. Neale, Close
INT: Blicavs, Parfitt, O'Connor, Menegola

It's not amazing, and is reliant on two KPP's in Conway who we have big hopes for, and Neale who is already shown a bit, reaching the heights we hope they will - but it's not awful either. Obviously there'll be more retirements and more stars going out in '25 and '26, but we'll either develop or find others suitable to fill a role to keep us competitive (see our pursuit of McKenna a as an SSP as an example).

For a side that has been up there as much as we have to still have a side that on paper doesn't look Bottom 4, is a testament to that development and transition that we've done well all these years.

We also have some former first
/second round round draftees who we're excited about, other possible FA's/SSP's/Traded/Draftees, in that time, and further development of the guys already on our list. It's not the heights others will have list wise, but it's still competitive and will help us transition through to the next era of talent and success.

We're not a side that believes in bottoming out and rebuilding. We'll re-tool on the run, but it's not just not in our ethos to give up on the hunt and have seasons that don't mean anything- in the pursuit of success down the track. I for one an extremely proud of the club when it comes to that mentality - and don't expect that to change anytime soon in the coming years.

Last edited:
We've heard this for the last 12 years...by law of averages it'll probably be right sooner or later, but success is not manufactured, it is earned. There's a reason Geelong have never finished lower than 12th and missed Top 8 once (finishing 9th) in the last 15 years, and it's got nothing to do with the talent on our list - it's our culture. Same with Sydney.

For perspective, this is our side in 2024 once Hawkins, Selwood, Smith, Stanley, Ceglar, Dahlhaus, Higgins, Tuohy, Rohan all retire and O. Henry and Bruhn (likely) at a minimum come in:

B: Zuthrie, SDK, Henry
HB: Bews, Kolo, Stewart
C: Holmes, C. Guthrie, Duncan
FO: Conway, Danger, T. Atkins
HF: Miers, J. Cameron, O. Henry
F: Stengle, S. Neale, Close
INT: Blicavs, Parfitt, O'Connor, Menegola

It's not amazing, and is reliant on two KPP's in Conway who we have big hopes for, and Neale who is already shown a bit, reaching the heights we hope they will - but it's not awful either. Obviously there'll be more retirements and more stars going out in '25 and '26, but we'll either develop or find others suitable to fill a role to keep us competitive (see our pursuit of McKenna a as an SSP as an example).

For a side that has been up there as much as we have to still have a side that on paper doesn't look Bottom 4, is a testament to that development and transition that we've done well all these years.

We also have some former first
/second round round draftees who we're excited about, other possible FA's/SSP's/Traded/Draftees, in that time, and further development of the guys already on our list. It's not the heights others will have list wise, but it's still competitive and will help us transition through to the next era of talent and success.

We're not a side that believes in bottoming out and rebuilding. We'll re-tool on the run, but it's not just not in our ethos to give up on the hunt and have seasons that don't mean anything- in the pursuit of success down the track. I for one an extremely proud of the club when it comes to that mentality - and don't expect that to cha ge anytime soon in the coming years.

Geelong has a massive natural advantage to attract mature players.

So they dont bottom out. Its that simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Swans backline matches up well on the Cats forwards. After both having last weekend off, the hard win might help Swans have an edge in the first quarter but they might fade late like they did yesterday.

Cats by 12 points coming over the top in the last. Jeremy Cameron with a match winning performance.

This thread;

‘My opinion is Geelong will win’
Swans fan - ‘LMFAO! Dreaming, haha, your club is s**t’

‘My opinion is Sydney will win’
Geelong fan - ‘LMFAO! Dreaming, haha, your club is s**t’

So conclusions are; you can’t have an opinion on a public forum if your team isn’t in the GF or you’re team is ‘s**t’ according to Swans or Geelong fans.

Haha well that conclusion is just your shit opinion LMAO

#amidoingitright

9 teams in Melbourne v 2 in WA.

Eagles were out of the running before the season started and dont care about Freo. No skin off my nose.
Like you don’t care about Freo, people in Victoria don’t care about the other Victorian teams.

The Swans were fading somewhat in the last Qtr last night.

To win I think they'll need to be in front by 3QT & then hang on.
I think that had more to do with you blokes being hard to stop when you get a run on. Sydney have come off the pre finals bye and the week off after winning the QF, they'll be fine.

Opinion Geelong v Sydney GF. Neutral supporter prediction/analysis

Back