Geelong vs Collingwood - 2011 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite right. The Pies didn't look the same in that game or since. No coincidence that they have won every game that mattered this year bar one and that was stolen from us by the umps
Stolen from you by the umps? :thumbsu: lol.
It was 2:40 on the clock, the game was not quite finished, son. Plus, I'm sure if the goal was allowed, Harry Taylor would have tried much harder to kick the goal when he marked right before the siren.

If I were you, I'd be worried that a rookie coach, coaching his 7th game, came even close to the 'master coach' of the competition.:eek:

and you guys are crowing about a dead rubber.
It's not ideal to walk into finals on the back of a 96-point drubbing, dead rubber or not.

Oh well we shall see what we shall see but I personally hope the cats go in brimming with confidence! :thumbsu:

The Geelong players are always confident that they are capable of beating anyone, but don't over-do it. I'd rather go into a GF with a team with the right amount of self-belief, than one with no confidence whatsoever.

Stolen from you by the umps? :thumbsu: lol.
It was 2:40 on the clock, the game was not quite finished, son. Plus, I'm sure if the goal was allowed, Harry Taylor would have tried much harder to kick the goal when he marked right before the siren.
rofl. Yeah right. Keep believing it if you like. :thumbsu:

If I were you, I'd be worried that a rookie coach, coaching his 7th game, came even close to the 'master coach' of the competition.:eek:
Strangely, you're not but hey, if you were you'd be thinking how glad you are that your team is not being coached by a rookie going into his first GF! :eek:

It's not ideal to walk into finals on the back of a 96-point drubbing, dead rubber or not.

Probably no less ideal than going into a GF having never been challenged in weeks and thinking that beating the top team in a dead rubber actually means something.

The Geelong players are always confident that they are capable of beating anyone, but don't over-do it. I'd rather go into a GF with a team with the right amount of self-belief, than one with no confidence whatsoever.
Because having the highest winning percentage on record along with the most wins not to mention the pre-season premiership already in the cabinet alongside the brownlow can really sap your confidence! :eek::eek::eek:

rofl. Yeah right. Keep believing it if you like. :thumbsu:
What an original comeback:thumbsu:

If you disagree, back up your statements, because arguments like "LuLz Y3aH r!T3! WaT3vA U $aY!" won't really get you anywhere. It just sinks you further into your couch. Proving a point instead of saying "rofl. Yeah right. Keep believing it if you like" would make you much, much more believable.

Strangely, you're not
Gladly:)

but hey, if you were you'd be thinking how glad you are that your team is not being coached by a rookie going into his first GF! :eek:
Strangely, I know what I'd be thinking if I were in your situation, not you. I'm not really a glass half full person, but if a rookie coach going into his first GF isn't a good thing, then I'm lost:(

Probably no less ideal than going into a GF having never been challenged in weeks and thinking that beating the top team in a
dead rubber actually means something.
Well judging by our current form, our path is definitely the better option of the two. Feel free to argue, but our form is better at the moment.

Because having the highest winning percentage on record along with the most wins not to mention the pre-season premiership already in the cabinet alongside the brownlow can really sap your confidence! :eek::eek::eek:
Good on you on the %, wins and NAB cup, but the H&A season, not to mention the PRE-SEASON, is a different ball game to finals. But feel free to bring up achievements irrelevant to finals. Seems you really want to take the focus off Collingwood and their bad form at the moment.

Why bring up the Brownlow? A team of champions doesn't make a champion team.

What an original comeback:thumbsu:

If you disagree, back up your statements, because arguments like "LuLz Y3aH r!T3! WaT3vA U $aY!" won't really get you anywhere. It just sinks you further into your couch. Proving a point instead of saying "rofl. Yeah right. Keep believing it if you like" would make you much, much more believable.

Also very original. Especially when you know as well as I do that neither you nor I can back up any such thing because it's pure speculation. The FACT of the matter is though that had the goal been allowed I would have much preferred to be in Collingwood's position than Geelong's. View it with your rose coloured glasses if you like but don't waste your breath trying to convince anyone of your hypothesis. You will fail dismally. :thumbsu:

Strangely, I know what I'd be thinking if I were in your situation, not you. I'm not really a glass half full person, but if a rookie coach going into his first GF isn't a good thing, then I'm lost:(
I'm happy for you! :thumbsu:

Well judging by our current form, our path is definitely the better option of the two. Feel free to argue, but our form is better at the moment.

This of course is based on your hypothesis so once again, I'm happy for you. It changes nothing and counts for nothing on Saturday but I'm glad it makes you happy! :thumbsu: Fairly sure I can engineer as many hypothesis that make me just as happy but I won't waste my time preaching them to you because they actually carry no more or less credibility than yours. :)

Good on you on the %, wins and NAB cup, but the H&A season, not to mention the PRE-SEASON, is a different ball game to finals. But feel free to bring up achievements irrelevant to finals. Seems you really want to take the focus off Collingwood and their bad form at the moment.

Why bring up the Brownlow? A team of champions doesn't make a champion team.
You misunderstand me. I was agreeing with you that all of those achievements are definitely going to sap the confidence of the side! Thank you so much for pointing it out! :eek::eek::eek:

Cats Coming in after a Very Easy Game vs the Eagles and Pies Coming in while Stealing the Game vs the Hawks.

Would Close Game or Blow Out help Which Team?

Given that Geelong and Collingwood both played the same teams and Geelong beat both easily whereas Collingwood struggled, I would say that Geelong are in better shape and should beat The Pies.

I like the look of that wet forecast so far.

Injuries will be significant. SJ for either Reid or Jolly would be a reasonable trade, If both are missing Geelong are well ahead on the injury count.

Collingwoods best would keep them favourites for me but as the weeks pass it seems like its just not happening for them, Cats by 4 goals, 6 without Jolly.

Cannot agree about the 'reasonable trade'. Structurally the loss of Jolly or Reid would be much more of a loss than Johnson. Big guys are not as easily replaced and we do not have enough of them.

Quite right. The Pies didn't look the same in that game or since. No coincidence that they have won every game that mattered this year bar one and that was stolen from us by the umps and you guys are crowing about a dead rubber. Oh well we shall see what we shall see but I personally hope the cats go in brimming with confidence! :thumbsu:

Brent Guerra, Paul Puopolo and Josh Gibson say g'day!

If it weren't for the umpires dragging you blokes over line kicking and screaming last Friday we'd be playing Hawthorn this week mate. The better team lost last Friday

Brent Guerra, Paul Puopolo and Josh Gibson say g'day!

If it weren't for the umpires dragging you blokes over line kicking and screaming last Friday we'd be playing Hawthorn this week mate. The better team lost last Friday
Oh really? I hadn't seen where the league came out and said that the umpires got all of those decisions wrong. Perhaps you'll do us all a favour and provide us with a link instead of dribbling that crap all over the keyboard.

Pies fans STILL sulking about round 8: even if Pendlebury's goal was paid, there was almost 3 minutes left in which Geelong could have scored again.

If you think that wouldn't have happened, you surely must have thought the preliminary final was over when Franklin kicked his last goal? After all, Ball kicked the winner in the last three minutes of the match...

Pies fans STILL sulking about round 8: even if Pendlebury's goal was paid, there was almost 3 minutes left in which Geelong could have scored again.

If you think that wouldn't have happened, you surely must have thought the preliminary final was over when Franklin kicked his last goal? After all, Ball kicked the winner in the last three minutes of the match...
lol Nice strawman. Funnily enough I didn't see too many Hawks players kicking goals after Ball's match winner did you? Honestly, nobody can say what would have happened but it's pretty logical to say you'd prefer to be in the position Collingwood would have been in. That's not stretching the imagination in the same way as it is to say that Geelong would have kicked another goal anyway. That's pure fantasy.

Oh really? I hadn't seen where the league came out and said that the umpires got all of those decisions wrong. Perhaps you'll do us all a favour and provide us with a link instead of dribbling that crap all over the keyboard.

For starters, doing nothing but watch Josh Gibson be man handled in the goal square (twice) isn't really a decision is it? If the whistle isn't blown, nothing can be rescinded.

Guerra standing over the mark and can't hear the umpire who hasn't stood in front of him to attract his attention is penalized 50m
handing Cloke a weak goal.

Paul Puopolo makes an attempt at actually picking up the ball in the back pocket, has no prior and is penalized. Disgusting in the context of a close prelim. But who cares really, it's over now.

It's irrelevant whether the league came out and admited it. After all, it's a forum for discussing opinions. My point is, umpiring mistakes and misinterpretations happen all the time and yes, Hawthorn squandered opportunities but the umps crucified them IMO

lol Nice strawman. Funnily enough I didn't see too many Hawks players kicking goals after Ball's match winner did you? Honestly, nobody can say what would have happened but it's pretty logical to say you'd prefer to be in the position Collingwood would have been in. That's not stretching the imagination in the same way as it is to say that Geelong would have kicked another goal anyway. That's pure fantasy.

Why? We'd already outscored you in the last quarter (both in points scored AND total scoring shots), even if Pendlebury's goal was paid.

And no, I didn't notice too many Hawthorn players kicking goals after Ball's match winner. I also didn't notice too many Collingwood players kicking goals after the Pendlebury decision in round 8.

But hey, whatever helps you sleep better at night.

Why? We'd already outscored you in the last quarter (both in points scored AND total scoring shots), even if Pendlebury's goal was paid.

And no, I didn't notice too many Hawthorn players kicking goals after Ball's match winner. I also didn't notice too many Collingwood players kicking goals after the Pendlebury decision in round 8.

They were outscored and outplayed in both Round 8, Round 24 and the prelim. They are a good side so are always in the game but blaming an umpiring misinterpretation with 2 minutes or so left ignores the broader context of the match, where crucial KPI's went in the oppositions favor, much like they did in the prelim funnily enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dont want to interrupt the 'discussion' between you's two, but the gibson one in particular was one of the most blatant unpaid free kicks ive seen in a while.

For starters, doing nothing but watch Josh Gibson be man handled in the goal square (twice) isn't really a decision is it? If the whistle isn't blown, nothing can be rescinded.

Guerra standing over the mark and can't hear the umpire who hasn't stood in front of him to attract his attention is penalized 50m
handing Cloke a weak goal.

Paul Puopolo makes an attempt at actually picking up the ball in the back pocket, has no prior and is penalized. Disgusting in the context of a close prelim. But who cares really, it's over now.

It's irrelevant whether the league came out and admited it. After all, it's a forum for discussing opinions. My point is, umpiring mistakes and misinterpretations happen all the time and yes, Hawthorn squandered opportunities but the umps crucified them IMO

IYO! :thumbsu: You and a host of bleating bad sports on BF whose opinions are completely at odds with the vast majority of fair minded people who had both eyes open and saw plent of incidents on both sides. Truth be known Collingwood are still trying to take the saddle off of Leigh Brown from all the horsey rides he was giving while rucking and fairly soon they hope to have dug down deep enough to extract Dawes from under the ground after he was pushed and jumped on all day long. No of course you wouldn't have seen any of those things along with Blair being tackled as he took the ball and being pinged for HTB despite having no prior opportunity. Sorry, but Hawthorn supporters whinging about umpiring decision is just poor sportsmanship and Cats supporters jumping on the bandwagon is utterly predictable.

The difference being that I'm talking about what DID happen while you're happy to elevate some fantasy to the same plane. Says much about your intelligence I'm afraid but hey, whatever helps you sleep at night I guess! :rolleyes:

They were outscored and outplayed in both Round 8, Round 24 and the prelim. They are a good side so are always in the game but blaming an umpiring misinterpretation with 2 minutes or so left ignores the broader context of the match, where crucial KPI's went in the oppositions favor, much like they did in the prelim funnily enough.
The point being that whilst we were outplayed statistically we were good enough to find a way to win or to at least give ourselves a chance. I am happy to concede round 8 regardless because I recognise that umpires make mistakes all the time but if you're drawing some great feeling of superiority from that or from round 24 then I think your confidence is misplaced.

dont want to interrupt the 'discussion' between you's two, but the gibson one in particular was one of the most blatant unpaid free kicks ive seen in a while.
As were heaps of others both ways. :thumbsu:

The difference being that I'm talking about what DID happen while you're happy to elevate some fantasy to the same plane. Says much about your intelligence I'm afraid but hey, whatever helps you sleep at night I guess! :rolleyes:

I'm talking about what DID happen too.

Collingwood had almost three minutes to try to kick a winning goal even after Pendlebury's goal was disallowed. You couldn't do it.

Your illogical rants and unfounded opinions may be better suited to Bay 13.

I'm talking about what DID happen too.

Collingwood had almost three minutes to try to kick a winning goal even after Pendlebury's goal was disallowed. You couldn't do it.

Your illogical rants and unfounded opinions may be better suited to Bay 13.
lol. Stawmen, strawmen everywhere. We were talking about what would have happened if the goal had been allowed as has been clearly stated by the AFL should have happened. Nothing that happened after that could necessarily be said except in the context of pure speculation to change the result as it would have then been. Dodge and deflect from that all you like but that's the way it is and there's no speculation involved in that!

The point being that whilst we were outplayed statistically we were good enough to find a way to win or to at least give ourselves a chance. I am happy to concede round 8 regardless because I recognise that umpires make mistakes all the time but if you're drawing some great feeling of superiority from that or from round 24 then I think your confidence is misplaced.

Luckily I'm not drawing on any confidence or sense of superiority. I have never made a prediction, implied that either side would win or made any indication that the side I barrack for is better or worse. All I've done is critically analyze a select few matches of what I feel to be of importance and responded to some of these discussion points. You don't like what you read because perhaps you're not used to the Magpies being the subject of critique or discourse that doesn't paint them as the all conquering, supreme outfit many feel they have been all year (for which they have been IMO). That's your prerogative, but a difference in opinion is not "crap" simply because you don't agree with it.

The best side on the day will win the game on Saturday no questions. However, people are well within their rights to speculate about issues that affect the game, form lines, tactics and off field issues just as you're well within you're rights to present a counter argument. But play the topic not the man.

Also very original. Especially when you know as well as I do that neither you nor I can back up any such thing because it's pure speculation. The FACT of the matter is though that had the goal been allowed I would have much preferred to be in Collingwood's position than Geelong's. View it with your rose coloured glasses if you like but don't waste your breath trying to convince anyone of your hypothesis. You will fail dismally. :thumbsu:
I never said anything about whose position I would rather be in, concerning round 8. I was talking about finals, because I know I shouldn't bring up topics that aren't relevant to the thread. Sorry if you misunderstood :(

Funny, I was talking about footy for most of my post, and you manage to direct your whole post around and about me. I'm flattered:heart:

I'm happy for you! :thumbsu:
Aw, you're sweet! :heart::heart:
xxx

This of course is based on your hypothesis so once again, I'm happy for you. It changes nothing and counts for nothing on Saturday but I'm glad it makes you happy! :thumbsu:
You brought up Round 8, speak for yourself.

Fairly sure I can engineer as many hypothesis that make me just as happy but I won't waste my time preaching them to you because they actually carry no more or less credibility than yours. :)
The possibility of you engineering hypotheses is relevant to this thread for what reason?

You misunderstand me. I was agreeing with you that all of those achievements are definitely going to sap the confidence of the side! Thank you so much for pointing it out! :eek::eek::eek:
Oh. So a player winning a Brownlow, winning the NAB cup and having the highest % of all time is a bad thing? I congratulated Collingwood on it, and I'm not even a supporter. You must hate your team. You ingrateful thing, you :eek::eek::eek:

No one's looking for any confidence in it. We just know it's wrong to blame round 8 on the umps when there was 3 minutes left when they disallowed Pendlebury's goal. Couldn't care less about round 24 either, it was meaningless.

Luckily I'm not drawing on any confidence or sense of superiority. I have never made a prediction, implied that either side would win or made any indication that the side I barrack for is better or worse. All I've done is critically analyze a select few matches of what I feel to be of importance and responded to some of these discussion points. You don't like what you read because perhaps you're not used to the Magpies being the subject of critique or discourse that doesn't paint them as the all conquering, supreme outfit many feel they have been all year (for which they have been IMO). That's your prerogative, but a difference in opinion is not "crap" simply because you don't agree with it.

The best side on the day will win the game on Saturday no questions. However, people are well within their rights to speculate about issues that affect the game, form lines, tactics and off field issues just as you're well within you're rights to present a counter argument. But play the topic not the man.
Hilarious. Because I
critically analyze a select few matches of what I feel to be of importance and responded to some of these discussion points.
This means I somehow believe that my side is superior or all conquering. Nice of you to paint your comments as somehow a reasoned analysis of events whilst the same coming back at you is somehow to be regarded as unreasonable ramblings. I have said all along that Geelong have form coming in and are even now favourites to win. I am certainly not writing them off nor have I ever. I have simply pointed out that if you draw confidence from a game that clearly could have gone either way based on a single umpiring decision or a dead rubber in which one side clearly went in with completely foreign structures in place and a number of players missing then I believe you're delusional.

Pots and kettles, pots and kettles. :rolleyes:

Hilarious. Because I This means I somehow believe that my side is superior or all conquering. Nice of you to paint your comments as somehow a reasoned analysis of events whilst the same coming back at you is somehow to be regarded as unreasonable ramblings. I have said all along that Geelong have form coming in and are even now favourites to win. I am certainly not writing them off nor have I ever. I have simply pointed out that if you draw confidence from a game that clearly could have gone either way based on a single umpiring decision or a dead rubber in which one side clearly went in with completely foreign structures in place and a number of players missing then I believe you're delusional.

Pots and kettles, pots and kettles. :rolleyes:

But no one is. All that writing for nothing, ey TheLip ;):eek:

No one's looking for any confidence in it. We just know it's wrong to blame round 8 on the umps when there was 3 minutes left when they disallowed Pendlebury's goal. Couldn't care less about round 24 either, it was meaningless.
Funny, I didn't see where anyone did blame round 8 on umpires. I simply pointed out that it would be foolish to draw any confidence from a game which if correctly umpired would most likely have been a win to us. Nice to see that you agree with me though. :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back