Game Day Geelong Vs Fremantle - Elimination Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing revolutionary, Mayne was used to draw Scarlet away from the play. Keps is in a similar way. That's why I was fairly sure he'd play ahead of Griff. It's about structure and, as a team, how we can create the most space and opportunity for goal. Having said that, both Keps and Mayne should be good enough for 1-2 goals and then we've got the whole package working.

In fairness, Keps is getting his chances, just fluffing them. Mayne too should have had a goal in the 4th but for a brain fade moment.

Congrats guys. Mighty effort.

Geelong in a final at the MCG. Doesn't get bigger than that.

I know. You guys havn't been able to do that in years. Lol, sorry couldn't resist. Does put the win into perspective though because you guys are the team to beat this year.

It does goes bigger.

Beating Hawks in a Prelim. :thumbsu: :eek:

Sure. And the GF is bigger again.

I guess I mean in terms of your club's history and getting that first finals win in Melbourne then knocking off a great club like Geelong who own September is just about the perfect way to do it.

Congratulations.

I know. You guys havn't been able to do that in years. Lol, sorry couldn't resist. Does put the win into perspective though because you guys are the team to beat this year.

Yeah, no probs, lol. Although to be fair last year was the only time they've beaten us in a final in my 39 years. ;)

It does goes bigger.
Beating Hawks in a Prelim. :thumbsu: :eek:

Now dont go doing a Geelong and start carrying on about a game you haven't even gotten to yet !! :) Just popped in to congratulate your team, I think the whole forum is enjoying the Bay13 handbag meltdown.

If you bring that game next week I can see you knocking the Krows off too.

Wanted to say congrats to Freo. Very underrated at times in the East but put on a clinic versus a very complacent Geelong side. For some reason the players may have been thinking about a Prelim against the Hawks pre-game. A lot of the supporters on our board were thinking the same, and we'd wipe you off the park. The height of arrogance IMO.

Ross Lyon also completely outcoached Scott on the night. Pav is one of the games greats, a treat to watch. Good luck in the rest of the finals. Feel free to play that well against Hawthorn too. If it's one thing a Geelong fan doesn't want, it's for them to get another flag :D

I am sure you said earlier in the week you would not be able to attend the London before the game but would be there afterwards. Isn't it amazing what can be organised when a few tv cameras are thrown into the mix. ;)

Should we call you Hollywood from now on?

We went to Transport, much easier for those that have travelled and staying close to the ground, and it was choca's with Dockers fans and very few Cats fans. With the beer prices I am not surprised car assemblers could not afford the drinks bill. Cash up bogans everywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cameron Mooney on radio the next day said he's spoken to James Kelly the next morning. Said they were kind of in shock at quarter time, didnt know what had hit them and had lost track of score

I think it's too much to expect this regularly in the short term, but if it's something we can build on then we'll ne dangerous'

selwood-arm-raise-o.gif

Raises his arm as soon as he knows he's going to get tackled so Crowley's arm slips up to get high contact. Piss weak cheap way to get possessions. (Larger one here http://gifsoup.com/view/4087061/selwood-arm-raise.html )

selwood-arm-raise-o.gif

Raises his arm as soon as he knows he's going to get tackled so Crowley's arm slips up to get high contact. Piss weak cheap way to get possessions. (Larger one here http://gifsoup.com/view/4087061/selwood-arm-raise.html )
As much criticism as this tactic receives for the frees it draws it is also an effective and legitimate maneuver to slip or break a tackle. This is why I have never had an issue with Selwood (or any other player) doing it.

Really it's up to the umpires to use common sense to not pay these but we know that we rarely see that from the men in fluro these days.

selwood-arm-raise-o.gif

It's actually worse than you describe. He violently moves his arm upward to ensure he gets hit in the head. He's basically striking Crowleys arm to ensure it can't go under. You can see him get the arm ready to move up to do it just before the tackle, and then the "overflow" of him putting too much effort into it.

As much criticism as this tactic receives for the frees it draws it is also an effective and legitimate maneuver to slip or break a tackle. This is why I have never had an issue with Selwood (or any other player) doing it.

Really it's up to the umpires to use common sense to not pay these but we know that we rarely see that from the men in fluro these days.

It'd also be nice if they didn't pay the high contact and in the back free's for the player who dives under other players. If you willingly put your body at risk then it should be play on.

It'd also be nice if they didn't pay the high contact and in the back free's for the player who dives under other players. If you willingly put your body at risk then it should be play on.
Agree completely I mean really it only takes a little common sense. Still I guess it's a duty of care thing from the AFL's perspective and the players tend to abuse it.

Agree completely I mean really it only takes a little common sense. Still I guess it's a duty of care thing from the AFL's perspective and the players tend to abuse it.

given that the rules are there to protect the players head and neck - and prevent potential litigation - perhaps those players that do raise the arm to get a free kick should actually be done for staging, that the umpires deem blatant, and have a free kick awarded against them - that would quickly stop it happening. The players that are most known for it would most likely have the most kicks paid against them, by reputation alone.

That one where he got Geelong's second goal was the most disgusting. Took possession of the ball upright, then bent the knees and changed direction back into the pack to get the high tackle. Took the shot, got a goal and celebrated like it was some massive piece of inspirational play that was bringing Geelong back into it.

He's a great player, but fraudulent bravado like that makes him a shit captain.

That shot of Scott vs Lyon in the box is great. It is a far cry from the stunned mullet look of Harvey over the years. Nioe to know that we might get outplayed, but we won't be outcoached.

I'm struggling to think of when they've shown Lyon and he hasn't been on the phone or at least talking to others around him. And usually quite calmly. Some of the carry on from the Scotts and Buckley is laughable. Buckley just sits there smashing the phone on the table and yelling at the umpires. Complete bogan, I think he is incapable of muttering a sentence without saying "f&*#".

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Geelong Vs Fremantle - Elimination Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back