Preview Geelong vs WCE - Sat April 24, GMHBA Stadium @1:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbf his VFL game was exceptional...a very good game and fitness would be his only concern imo

I’m really hoping that he can replicate that type of performance at AFL level when he’s back in the team
yeah fitness is a thing I worry about with him too, especially if we plan on using him in the ruck more which i think we need to

Tbf his VFL game was exceptional...a very good game and fitness would be his only concern imo

I’m really hoping that he can replicate that type of performance at AFL level when he’s back in the team

Not having seen any of the VFL... I have no doubt his natural talent could make him look good at VFL level.. but I have doubts on his footy intellect. Did he play in the ruck? What sort of things did you think were exceptional?

It was noticeable in the VFL on Sunday was that both teams had players who looked out on their feet in the last quarter, and definitely noticed that we didn't have the run & spread of the previous quarters - thinking that may make it hard for the MC in regards to consideration of some of our guys playing VFL at the moment as they'd probably prefer them to be comfortably running out matches

I like Holmes and like what I saw from him on Sunday, but wouldn't be surprised if the coaches are telling him they just need to get KMs into him at the moment and build that match fitness so he can impact across 4 qtrs
I would have thought with his athletics background, his pre season would have given him a good tank for a first year player. Perhaps he needs to learn when and where to run.

Not having seen any of the VFL... I have no doubt his natural talent could make him look good at VFL level.. but I have doubts on his footy intellect. Did he play in the ruck? What sort of things did you think were exceptional?

I thought he was excellent, but has to be noted the opposition were pretty tame.
Took a couple of really strong contested marks; got in front and there was no shifting him nor any way most defenders would have been able to get a spoil in.

Won a couple of clearances from the centre bounces, one in particular was poetry; one-handed scoop in traffic, charged off and booted it into 50.

some other nice bits n pieces too; centred one kick and found a target 20meters out directly in front with nice vision.

CS wants to get him cherry ripe before any recall, so I reckon 3 more weeks with steadily increasing workload at VFL level before he’d even be considered for selection.

I’m a huge fan of his potential and I’m with CS on this one; no need to rush him, get him back into the senior team only when at peak form and fitness.

How do you know that ?

Rory Lobb ( had a pretty serious injury ) and was going to be out 12 weeks - yet was back - and in the senior team within 3-4 weeks
I don't know, I just think if he's being checked out by medical staff and doing extra running then he probably needs a couple of games in the 2s to be sure on it. Just had one game, bye next week, 2 games from now is four weeks away from the next opportunity. Basically a month. But my medical expertise doesn't go much further than "don't do what Pete Evans says" so could be wrong

There are lots of arguments you can make around selection but the one non negotiable for me is that Holmes has to play. He's head and shoulders above VFL standard and needs 10+ games this season to see how soon he can become a gun at AFL level.
I'd be trying to cheat as many games into Holmes and Clark as possible this year. They're the two youngsters on our list with all the weapons to become bona fide top tier players at some point in their career. Similarly to 2011 where we had a fossilised team but still gave plenty of games to the trio of Christensen, Menzel and Duncan.

I've liked Atkins over Bews so far but Scott loves Bews. His kicking hurts us so much. Him and Kolo are genuine butchers down back. We really lack that good ball user coming out the backline like a Hurn or Short.

Agree with this. I think Atkins has been ok.

Don't really know what Bews brings to the team at the moment. I've never been a huge fan but when he was blanketing the best small forward he definitely had a role. Now they make Kolo play on the best small anyway, and Bews's disposal is the worst in the side. So I honestly don't know what he's bringing to the team. Would much rather Clark play that role

I would love to see it, Clark too. Though Scott is extremely conservative in his team selection. In fact, rather than the 'slow game plan' trope, I think Scott's failing is his loyalty to players and refusal to make bold selection decisions. This is why we come up short year after year, we keep showing up with the same players, who are not quite good enough. In that respect, he is a little like Ross Lyon. Though he is tactically much better than Lyon.
While I won’t wish injuries on anyone, it’s almost as though we need injuries in the “right” places to force changes. The only way Clark and Holmes play lots of games is with injuries to others. If those injuries are key players we will be making up the numbers. But if injuries occur to Scott’s favourite battlers it might actually be a blessing in disguise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I won’t wish injuries on anyone, it’s almost as though we need injuries in the “right” places to force changes. The only way Clark and Holmes play lots of games is with injuries to others. If those injuries are key players we will be making up the numbers. But if injuries occur to Scott’s favourite battlers it might actually be a blessing in disguise.
What's the process to become one of Scott's favourites?

I would have thought with his athletics background, his pre season would have given him a good tank for a first year player. Perhaps he needs to learn when and where to run.

I'd think there's likely some difference between being athletically fit and football match fit, and with no real competitive football last year it may not have helped

He may be similar to when Blicavs started, with both having the strong athletics background and can likely outrun a good number of teammates, but when you add in the football aspect of things it changes - running 400m on a track doesn't involve the tackling, being tackled, the bumps & physicality etc

He seemed a bit embarrassed when talking about cramping up in the 4th quarter against Hawthorn, so for now there may be some learning, using time in the VFL for development and I don't doubt we'll see him in the seniors again this year

Yeah, it is probably why he got a look in so early.

Very encouraging start for Max - hope he gets at least a few more games this season in the 1's.
Cooper Stephens is the one I want to see - looked like he was cherry ripe in the preseason until the ankle injury - reckon he's got the size , skill and speed/endurance combination to add some real value - liken him to Berry from the Lions :thumbsu:

Very encouraging start for Max - hope he gets at least a few more games this season in the 1's.
Cooper Stephens is the one I want to see - looked like he was cherry ripe in the preseason until the ankle injury - reckon he's got the size , skill and speed/endurance combination to add some real value - liken him to Berry from the Lions :thumbsu:
Yeah me too. Definitely has the size - GFC website has him at 188 and 83kgs - not bad for a 20 yo.

Jeremy Cameron is locked to make his Cats debut, while Mark O'Connor should return from a heel injury. Esava Ratugolea now has two games under his belt at VFL level and it wouldn't shock if the Cats threw him in despite his limited preparation from a fractured leg. Zach Guthrie (27 disposals) Charlie Constable (26), Max Holmes (22), Darcy Fort (17 hitouts, 18 dispsoals), Josh Jenkins and Ben Jarvis (both four goals) also put their hand up. Jordan Clark was the unused medical sub last week and Quinton Narkle was the carryover emergency. Sam De Koning is likely to fall out, however it's hard to see Luke Dahlhaus getting dropped with his increased output. Rhys Stanley is another out of form, while Jack Henry, Tom Atkins and Jake Kolodjashnij appear the most vulnerable in defence. Patrick Dangerfield should be OK despite a late ankle injury against the Roos.

R5 medical sub: Jordan Clark (unused)

Verdict: Cameron and O'Connor for De Koning and an unlucky Atkins. Henry and Kolodjashnij to be prioritised given the Eagles' height in attack. - Mitch Cleary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back