Our banners fly high, from dawn to dark
Down at Kardinia Park

So! Stand up and fight, remember our tradition
Stand up and fight, it’s always our ambition
Throughout the game to fight with all our might
Because we’re the mighty blue and white
And when the ball is bounced, to the final bell
Stand up and fight like hell!

It only dawned on me this morning I might be watching Joel's last game of footy... hard to find a more consistent 350 games, really. Important from the very first one he played. I feel he will play another season, though.

Also possibly the best Geelong side I've seen... definitely the most even. 2007 had a ton of stars, 2011 were insanely dominant. But this one was just so well put together.

Better than the sum of it's parts and so even.

Really happy to see Cam and Zac win a medal together. People ripped the p*** out of Cam for his Cold Rock side gig, but I think it shows the quality of him. And Zac - persistence and now very important to the team.

Two very well deserved medals, as well as Blicavs and Bews.

I'm thinking that there will be some certain people that may not front work on Monday....

e44268c15cc3e38e4945d4512e2bf7ea

Geelong supporters, well done on an impressive season!

As a neutral attendee today, I was highly impressed by the ruthlessness to the end.

I admit to having a vested interest in some of your players as on the NM board we have a spud thread for players who only perform well against NM - Gryan, Rohan, Zac. But none were passengers today.

Credit where it's due, today was ****ing fantastic and I urge you all, celebrate the hell out of today, do not take it for granted. At the game today I got teary for a current and former player of yours.

I've met a handful of the BF cats supporters over the years and I'll see you all next season for number 11.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rohan 2 touches nearly had the Norm

No doubting Rohan had limited impact today, but he more than made up for that with his QF performance

Who knows, but without his efforts at the start of the month we may not have been playing today

Tbh early in the week I thought it might be a bit of a blow out (although i was less certain as the week went on and the nerves went up lol). Someone in the media (can't remember who, maybe it was on the couch?) said it as well, and they called it.

Collingwood pressure in the QF rocked us early, but we managed to stem the bleeding and then just pip them at the end. In short, our game stood up when it mattered.

But Sydney's prelim saw them rock Collingwood early, but when the Pies did what they've been doing all season, ramp up the pressure and the offense, they folded and just stumbled into the GF.

Compared to us, where we did in the prelim what we ended up doing in the GF.

Shattered for Holmes, but so glad Parfitt managed to get a medal. If Holmes stays fit he'll be a ten year player, so fingers crossed he gets another shot.

Super self-indulgent every-player rankings (out of 10) for the 2022 Grand Final

7 - Rhys Stanley - under some pressure to stand up to nemesis Tom Hickey on the biggest stage of all after a shakey lead-up and with a checkered Finals record. Knuckled down brilliantly with the kind of workman-like attitude that is the hallmark of his better football. Resting him at Centre Half Back late in the season was an inspired bit of coaching that worked better in practice than it sounded on paper.

6- Zac Tuohey - may now stake a claim as the 2nd best Irish import that the game of Aussie Rules has seen - definitely worth the argument. His lethal right boot bailed the team out of tight spots more than once today, and his agility and attention to detail was important in providing defensive coverage.

3 - Brandan Parfitt - his 1-goal cameo underlined the depth of talent in this triumphant Geelong outfit. Great last quarter after being subbed on, Parfitt took his chance with relish.

5 - Jeremy Cameron - not at his most destructive, but looked relaxed and capable of stepping up his output at any stage.

9 - Isaac Smith - The 2022 Norm Smith Medallist looked super switched-on early and just kept hitting the scoreboard.

6 - Jake Kolodjashnij - injury concerns aside, Kolo barely put a foot wrong throughout the Finals series. Defensive work today was top-notch, corralling and collaring opposition forwards with dogged determination.

8 - Joel Selwood - Started on the bench then injected himself into the game strongly; last quarter goal might be the best of his career!

9 - Sam De Koning - took on a ton of responsibility today; could have just narrowed his focus and tried to beat his opponent but he completely ruled the air back of centre.

8 - Tyson Stengle - his 2022 year with Geelong has been unchartered - a dangerous footballer with precise, exquisite skills.

7- Mitch Duncan - 27 disposals, 13 marks, 1 goal. Duncan's experience and class shone through today, he ran hard and played the game on his terms.

3 - Gary Rohan - struggled to get involved but applied pressure at opportune moments. Gave away some free kicks but made Sydney defenders nervous nonetheless.

4- Jed Bews - not much rebound or side-stepping, but he kept Papley honest and put his head over the ball each and every time he was required to do so.

8 - Tom Hawkins - so decisive and damaging early on, his two Forward 50 throw-in contest goals defined the entire game.

7 - Cam Guthrie - very good early on when Sydney's mids were up for the contest. Worked hard.

6 - Tom Atkins - hard-nosed and resourceful as ever.

6 - Gryan Miers - ran hard and looked as confident as he has all year long.

9 - Patrick Dangerfield - Sydney had no equivalent in their midfield to combat Dangerfield, at all. Brilliant and dangerous.

7 - Jack Henry - Henry thrashed his direct opponent, but his quick D50 clearance work in the 1st half was perhaps his biggest contribution. Good game.

7 - Mark O'Connor - looked fresh and mentally sharp. Might have been his best game in 2022.

7 - Tom Stewart - always sharp and one step ahead of the game. Sydney were mindful to keep him accountable, but Stewart was effective regardless.

9 - Brad Close - rarely makes an error of any kind. Deft touches that were neither kicks nor handballs; taps, paddles - defined his iconic performance.

7 - Mark Blicavs - Big finals series supported his first AA selection. Premiership player.

Last edited:
THE 2022 NORM SMITH VOTES

Andrew McLeod (Chair)

3. Isaac Smith (Geelong)

2. Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong)

1. Mark Blicavs (Geelong)

Jonathan Brown

3. Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong)

2. Isaac Smith (Geelong)

1. Tyson Stengle (Gelong)

Michael Gleeson

3. Isaac Smith (Geelong)

1. Sam De Koning (Geelong)

Abbey Holmes

3. Isaac Smith (Geelong)

1. Tyson Stengle (Gelong)

David Mundy

3. Isaac Smith (Geelong)

2. Tyson Stengle (Geelong)

1. Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong)

NORM SMITH MEDAL FINAL TALLY
14 — Isaac Smith (Geelong): 3, 3, 3, 3, 2
10 — Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong): 3, 2, 2, 2, 1
4 — Tyson Stengle (Geelong): 2, 1, 1
1 — Sam de Koning (Geelong): 1
1 — Mark Blicavs (Geelong): 1

Still flying - I got a bottle of very expensive chardonay if we win, after half a bottle of scotch through the match and and just finishing that - so proud, so much love for Levi Ablett, Joel, Danger, Hawk, and Chris Scott. I always remember Scotty saying in 2011 that the sweetest one will be the flag he wins after rebuilding and Chris - here it is man - you deserve all that comes with this. I remember your salary sacrifice during Covid, and want to thank you on behalf of all Cats fans for your commitment and humanity. Also, thanks for getting Eddie Betts on board - so proud he is with the Cats. I love this community and it’s just about time we celebrate Danger, Tom, Tyson, Tom, Brad (love you Closey no 6 from Glenelg), and our youngsters who will drive the next one - Max Holmes, Brandon Parfitt, SDK, etc . Come one the new ones - Cooper Stephens, Conway, Knevitt, and Ollie Henry and Tanner Bruh. If you come on board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back