Certified Legendary Thread GEELONG WINS 2022 GRAND FINAL BY PLENTY

Remove this Banner Ad

I said it at the time and still stand by it.
When Selwood walked around KP in the final game there this year that he would hang them up this year and today confirmed it

Same here i agree. I hope joel gets lauded on a wonderful career if this is it.

I would love to see him go on though.
And ditto hawk and smith who were awesome today despite their ages all three of them. Lets hope this isnt the last we have seen of them all.

Where are you seeing this? Is there anything to watch now the games over for those of us at home?
It was in the postgame when they were waiting to sing the song in the rooms. Scotty and Lappin slunk off and were having a beer

Took a while to collect my thoughts.

You guys were insane. I watched your season in general, and your QF against the Pies, and I thought "great team, but gettable". Didn't think you had the unbeatable aura of Geelong teams past, or Dees or Richmond recently.

But you guys flicked a switch in the most irresistible fashion possible.

I honestly think the Swans' effort was pretty good. Our workrate was fine. It really didn't feel like an 80 point loss.

Geelong saved their best til last. There's not a team in the 20 years I've been a fan who would have matched what you produced today.

Here's hoping for a '23 rematch. Really hoping our players take a lesson out of it, rather than a GWS or Port style trauma.

Where are you seeing this? Is there anything to watch now the games over for those of us at home?
The screens at the ground after the guys went into the room

The players were waiting to sing the song, but Scotty & Lappin had gone off on their own for a beer

Hard to articulate how proud I am of this team. Joel becoming a Premiership captain just feels like just reward for years of effort on and off the field.
So many good stories regarding our players.
Well done to Chris Scott. 2 x Premiership coach. He's elite, officially.
You beauties.

Congratulations all! Well played and very deserved.

Enjoy it and see you next year!
You're on the up trend I can see you battling it out with Carlton / Collingwood and us for the next few years. I cant see you falling off a cliff like Adelaide and GWS. It was destiny today for the mighty cattas. Any team would of lost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Took a while to collect my thoughts.

You guys were insane. I watched your season in general, and your QF against the Pies, and I thought "great team, but gettable". Didn't think you had the unbeatable aura of Geelong teams past, or Dees or Richmond recently.

But you guys flicked a switch in the most irresistible fashion possible.

I honestly think the Swans' effort was pretty good. Our workrate was fine. It really didn't feel like an 80 point loss.

Geelong saved their best til last. There's not a team in the 20 years I've been a fan who would have matched what you produced today.

Here's hoping for a '23 rematch. Really hoping our players take a lesson out of it, rather than a GWS or Port style trauma.
Surprised me also...was a special performance

I’m really regretting booking a trip to Bali. I asked a friend this year if Joel should step down as this year would see him become the longest serving captain of any club….. and he wouldn’t be a premiership captain. Hey can admit I was wrong.

Attachments

• 431933D3-4D0A-44E0-977D-A4C174C9A4B4.jpeg
    431933D3-4D0A-44E0-977D-A4C174C9A4B4.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 58
Flag #10 for the Geelong Cats.

A Flag 11 Years in the making.

11 years of near-misses, heartbreak, blown opportunities and deflated expectations.

I am not being a DQ (RIP JUBJUB) when I confess that I have been in a genuine state of sickly anxiety for around 6 long weeks in the lead up to this day.

By the time we got to the Gold Coast game I was irrationally wishing that we'd hurry up and get to the knock-out Finals already - Cats supporters of a certain vintage have scars, damnit - but actually, you don't have to look that far back at all to see the futile side of committing to a footy club.
Good to know the younger generation weaned on success have had to taste some frustration and despair in the lead-up to this glorious moment.

It's character building!

At half time, we were clearly in a strong position - but .. but .. Richmond 2020. West Coast 1992. We've blown half-time leads in Grand Finals before. Sydney did not look bowed.

A Win for the Ages, a Victory for the True Believers (and hey; even the Habitual Doubters can jump on board - all is forgiven!).
A decade of angst and doubt dovetailing into ageless reward.

Joel Selwood fittingly becomes the only Geelong player to win 4 Premierships as a Cat; he is now enshrined as a Legend matched only by the likes of Reg Hickey and Bob Davis for his impact as a leader and talisman of the club. The winner of 2022's Jim Stynes Community Leadership Award spans the two most significant eras of the club in the last 50 years. A Giant of the Game.

... A 20,000-page BF Chris Scott thread locked and filed away; rendered all but irrelevant. For now...

In the years following Geelong’s 2011 Premiership, we humbled Geelong supporters have seen coach Chris Scott establish his footballing philosophy, then double-down, triple-down and ultimately deviate course – somewhat - to allow for evolution and regeneration.

We’ve seen the club pursue a Foreign Legion/Dad’s Army list management approach - before eventually relenting to allow for the inclusion of the youthful legs necessary to augment the experienced, battle-hardened types Chris Scott so values.

We’ve seen the club prioritise the selection of hard-running, super-stamina types to augment our burst-players; developing the likes of non-footballer Mark Blicavs, two-time reject Sam Menegola and one-time goalsneak Gryan Miers into relentless runners who stretch opponents to breaking point.

We’ve seen the dangerous and doomed individualist approach of the Dangerwood era - later to be further augmented by the returning Gary Ablett jnr - come and go.

We’ve seen 11 years of Ruck combinations and Pseudo-Ruck combinations deployed and re-combined. Ultimately, Rhys Stanley got it done today.

We’ve seen a long-term defensive Land of the Giants approach - with 3 key defenders contesting the aerial contests - finally mothballed following the retirements of Harry Taylor and then Lachie Henderson.

We’ve seen – just this year – the spectacle of a modern-day Geelong version of the ‘Mosquito Fleet’ swarming our front half in the form of Gryan Miers, Tyson Stengle and Brad Close… All three were critical in securing our club's 10th Premiership.

Through all these stagnations and changes and developments we’ve had there have been maybe 4-5 constants: Chris Scott himself, Captain Joel Selwood (Finally a Premiership Captain!), Tom Hawkins + Mitch Duncan. You could make an argument for Cam Guthrie to sit at that table too (= debuted in 2011).

And now we’re premiers once again.

The sweet taste of victory has flushed away all the bitterness of doubt and disappointment.
We’ve reaped a huge return on the Jeremy Cameron investment (I’ll follow this one up in the ‘’I was wrong’ thread, catempire )
- He’s only gone and done a Polly Farmer. In the #5 too.

A BFF flag for Blicavs, Guthrie and Zuthrie.

An Irish Eyes Are Smiling flag. O'Connor was huge, HUGE.

A 4th flag for left-footed loping interloper Isaac Smith. Norm Smith Medallist. He was switched on early.
I had concerns about Isaac Smith going into the game. I thought he seemed maybe a little mentally cooked.
His first first quarter goal though was excellent - the 2nd though, was of a man determined to cement his legacy. A self-effacing hipster type, Smith has nonetheless put in the work at the highest level time and again over the years. He was switched on today.
That third goal ... damn ...

A (sigh) ‘’Dangerflag’’. I thought he was very close to a Norm Smith Medal himself; huge Finals series from Patrick Dangerfield.
I've had such a weird relationship with Patrick Dangerfield over his time with Geelong. He is blissfully unaware of this fact thankfully.
His game today was perfect. I couldn't criticize one aspect of his game. He was a huge factor in Geelong winning the 2022 Premiership.
Lance Franklin can never say that with Sydney.

Jed Bews might have to cut his medal in twain and give half to the old man.

Tom Hawkins can spare one of his three medals for Jumping Jack, too.

Tyson Stengle and Brandan Parfitt join fellow Cats Polly Farmer, Matthew Stokes, Trav Varcoe and Allen Christensen as Indigenous Geelong premiership heroes.

Sam De Konning, Jack Henry – these kids will hopefully be future leaders of the club and drive the team in the pursuit of further Premiership glory as the old guard slowly fade into retirement. – but whatever happens from here, All are now immortalised and enshrined in the rich history and culture of the Geelong Football Club.

Jack Henry's been good this year. He was maybe a little better last year, but he's had injury setbacks. And he's stepped up at key moments.
Today might have been his best game of 2022 though.

Sam De Koning so assured, so confident, so decisive - absolutely Ruled the aerial contests up on the wings in the first quarter. Never seen anything like it. All downhill from here Sam: might as well retire now!!
I thought he was BOG. B. O. G. No disrespect to Smith but SDK was probably my BOG.

And hey – Look under your chairs Big Footy Cats fans:
YOU get a premiership medal, YOU get a premiership medal, and YOU get one too. Everyone gets a medal! No, not you Jordan Clark or Tim Kelly, sorry.

What a day. What a time to be a Geelong supporter.

Those early moments that really set the tone for today's Premiership:

Tom Hawkins 2 1st quarter goals from F50 ruck contests - vintage Hawkins, just as Daisy Pearce said live during the call. The 2nd - well, that was Gary Ablett-esque. Senior that is. Ended up kicking 3.4 but there was no sense of wastage in Hawkins game today; he worked hard and played smart as always. A huge Premiership game from Hawkins.

O'Connor's run-down tackle, then his casual overhead mark late in the 1st showed that he was more than ready for this moment. Legendary stuff from MOC. Tuohy had some great moments, backed his leg in more than once with excellent results. But O'Connor got it done on GF day.

Cam Guthrie produced his best football on the biggest stage, particularly early on.

Brad Close. This guy. This guy. I love this guy. So rare that he makes a mistake, whether skill execution or decision made. First quarter of a Grand Final and Brad Close did exactly what he did every single week; made good decisions and executed the skill well.
His conversion in the third quarter to push the lead out was clinical. He has given this club so much in his short career.

Tyson Stengle - we all know how good he is. But he is still better than we think. What an impact. Iconic Skill.
His conversion from a set shot late in the 2nd quarter after Sydney had worked their way into the game was so mature; the responsibility Stengle put on his shoulders at that moment was immense - and suddeny we had that vital break again. Must have been close to a Norm Smith Medal.

Commiserations to our opponents, the Sydney Swas. As Geelong supporters, we know football pain.
Sydney have a great squad and the kind of coach you can build a program around - I respect the hell out of Sydney and would not begrudge them a flag in the near future one little bit.
This post is all time. 💙🤍💙🤍

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread GEELONG WINS 2022 GRAND FINAL BY PLENTY

Remove this Banner Ad

Back