Geelong's first final to be played at Simonds Stadium?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the many times you've been there I'm sure... :rolleyes:

I was there last weekend and due to the AFL's crappy fixture I have been there almost every year for the past 10.

Some people don't enjoy 2 mile queues to eat out of a van, third world bathrooms with taps from 1980 that you have to use one hand at a time and seating that's obscured by the 500 people that walk past during the actual game because there's only 1 shitty walkway around the ground.

As i said... No problem with Geelong getting to play there, they deserve it, but as a fan it's a pretty shit place to watch football.

If this happens and I was Sydney I would be asking the question about playing at the SCG! At the end of the day the AFL won't care about the home ground advantage and will do what they always do and try to maximise revenue at the expense of integrity. I personally wouldn't be against Geelong getting a home final at Kardina, they finished 2nd so would have earnt it.

I was there last weekend and due to the AFL's crappy fixture I have been there almost every year for the past 10.

Some people don't enjoy 2 mile queues to eat out of a van, third world bathrooms with taps from 1980 that you have to use one hand at a time and seating that's obscured by the 500 people that walk past during the actual game because there's only 1 shitty walkway around the ground.

Stay home then.

I'd rather the MCG but it seems certain it won't be available. We've only played there four times all season and not since round 15. If we are the win the flag, we'll need to win there at least twice over the next month.

Why is it not available?
Because Tigers/ Pies finals will draw more crowds?
There is that argument again.
Freo , a relative minnow in finals scenarios, will have to enhance their crowd allure. VICIOUS CIRCLE.

If this happens and I was Sydney I would be asking the question about playing at the SCG! At the end of the day the AFL won't care about the home ground advantage and will do what they always do and try to maximise revenue at the expense of integrity. I personally wouldn't be against Geelong getting a home final at Kardina, they finished 2nd so would have earnt it.

Enjoy your board ban.

You're meant to be joining the mob who sourced Simon Lethlean's details and are probably throwing him into a van as we speak.

So the AFL are going to deny approximately 10k-20k of the footy world a chance to see 2 v 3 because the cats want to play at SS over Etihad if they can't get to play at the 'G'?

Very strange decision by the 'Vlad' if it does happen,but then again the guy is f@%ked in the head.
You mean those 10,000 MCC members will choose the Geelong V Fremantle game ahead of say Richmond V Carlton?
I asked my MCC buddy last night what game will he be attending and without a blink it was Richmond V Carlton ahead of our game. Even at Etihad i doubt you would see much more than 30,000 attend.

All I said, was That their head honcho had been sooking like a little bitch about having to play at KP. Which he had. Don't like it? Ask him to stop sooking like a little bitch. So much for Ross's play anyone anywhere mantra. Honestly what a joke of a club. Steeped in tradition of failure and now hypocrisy.
I don't care what you say, dude, it's your choice to walk into it eyes wide shut.

Does the 2nd placed team deserve a home state final at the G, ahead of say, a 5th/6th placed team who is also getting a home state final?
Certainly . Problem solved.
Haw MCG final. Fri pm
Geelong MCG final Sat avo
Richmond MCG final ?
Collingwood Etihad final ?
We all agree, that is the fairest scenario.

If that's how it played out then so be it.

Double header at the G would be great, would need to hire more cleaning staff to get it ready.

Hawks v Sydney MCG Friday 7:10pm
Geelong v Fremantle MCG Saturday 1:10pm
Collingwood v Port MCG Saturday 7:50pm
Richmond v Carlton/Nth MCG Sunday 2:10pm

Slightly smaller crowd would be expected at Pies v Port than say Tigers v Carlton.
Gates opening later would be offset by a smaller crowd on the saturday night and everyone should be in the stadium before the first bounce.

This this thread is pretty much Freo's supporters opinions + 10% of others
VS 90% of everyone else saying it's fair for Geelong to have a final at SS.
On another note. Freo resting 10 players is the most obvious ploy to avoid a SS final.
It's embarrasing.
Supporters will give other reasons, but we know it's not true.

They say "anyone, anywhere" and then tank their last game to avoid us. Pathetic.

As i said... No problem with Geelong getting to play there, they deserve it, but as a fan it's a pretty shit place to watch football.
IMO it's the best ground in the competition to watch football....resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die. I fully understand opposition fans not liking the ground or having to go there, when people are full of envy they disparage everything, whether it be good or bad. C'est La Vie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On another note. Freo resting 10 players is the most obvious ploy to avoid a SS final.
It's embarrasing.

They say "anyone, anywhere" and then tank their last game to avoid us. Pathetic.

I take it you guys are not confident of besting Brisbane?

The AFL have estimated 10,000 MCC members of the 44,500 at the Geelong Fremantle final last year. I think they exaggerate to build the case for Simonds. If it was 5,000 then that would be 39,500 ticket buyers according to last year's figures trying to get 32,500 seats at Simonds. This means 7,000 disenfranchised without taking into account the added enthusiasm of Freo supporters from being in the top 4 with the best defensive side in the competition.

The fees at Simonds are less than Ethiad so they probably make more money from playing there despite the smaller crowd so there's probably a financial benefit for the AFL to go with Simonds.

If the tickets are split between Freo and Geelong supporters according to membership numbers then Freo members should get a bit over 50% of the tickets. If Geelong members get access to only 15,000 tickets and Freo supporters take their full allocation then there will be at least 15,000 Geelong supporters disenfranchised by this decision.

If I was a Geelong supporter I'd rather my team play to a fuller Ethiad with lots of Geelong supporters than a full Simonds where only half the members get tickets and where there's 50% Freo supporters.

As a neutral who may go to Melbourne to watch my team play, the Geelong - Freo game is my preferred second game for the weekend. If the game is at Simonds I would probably fly home earlier than attend a game where it's unlikely that team will make a PF.

It's embarrasing.

What will
Be amazing, is if Sydney roll hawthorn, and we beat the lions and insights 1st. Freo Drop to 4th tanking resting 10 players, but still get skilled stadium. No one should be surprised however- Ross Lyon has shown zero integrity over a long period of time. Resting 10 players to manipulate a finals draw is standard for him. Small man.

So if your l
What will
Be amazing, is if Sydney roll hawthorn, and we beat the lions and insights 1st. Freo Drop to 4th tanking resting 10 players, but still get skilled stadium. No one should be surprised however- Ross Lyon has shown zero integrity over a long period of time. Resting 10 players to manipulate a finals draw is standard for him. Small man.[/quote

So if your last game of the year happened to be in WA and there was a good chance you had to come back the next week and you couldn't gain too much out of a win position wise (unless upset results pan out) you'd send your strongest squad over?

What will
Be amazing, is if Sydney roll hawthorn, and we beat the lions and insights 1st. Freo Drop to 4th tanking resting 10 players, but still get skilled stadium. No one should be surprised however- Ross Lyon has shown zero integrity over a long period of time. Resting 10 players to manipulate a finals draw is standard for him. Small man.

They can't, they're a game and a half clear of Sydney. Sydney can't finish anywhere other than 4th.

I guess if you are a Freo supporter this week your catch cry might be...Go Swans?
Assuming Geelong beat Brisbane on Saturday - Hawthorn beating Sydney will see Geelong finish second and face Fremantle - however a Swans win over Hawthorn will see Geelong finish first and play Sydney at the MCG.

They can't, they're a game and a half clear of Sydney. Sydney can't finish anywhere other than 4th.
Only a game and percentage (6.3%) clear. So it could happen but unlikely.

St Kilda are that shit that Freo will still probably win.

Goot remember that not all 10 players coming in are newbies. They have Sandi, Pearce, Ibbotson, Silvagni coming in who are all seasoned players.Only 1 debutant.

Some people gotta take of the tin foil thinking they are trying to deliberately move down to 4th spot.

It's embarrasing.

To be fair to Freo, winning or losing has zero influence on whether they play Geelong with Geelong as the home game.

If Freo lose, they will not go down to fourth unless Swans also lose. But if Swans win and Freo wins Geelong goes up to first and plays swans instead, unless Freo lose, in which case we end up playing them anyway. However I dare say in that scenario the AFL would be compelled to play the Geelong-Freo match at the G on the Friday night - as is the right of the team finishing on top of the ladder.

I just don't want to hear any bleating next year about supporters of blockbusters games in Victoria not being able to attend games as they are at Etihad which will be sold out such as the Hawks/Ess game because the AFL decided not to fulfil its contract of one final per week at the ground and instead they get compensated with better and more games the following season.

I have no problems with playing at any of the grounds but should be the same for all teams regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back