List Mgmt. Geelong's interest in Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think Hawthorn of the 1980's. I can't be arsed but if you were to look at their numbers you'd probably find a few that played 50 or 100 reserve games or more. And a few of them turned out ok..
Tuck played something like 80 ressie games and Dipper 50 odd

Think Hawthorn of the 1980's. I can't be arsed but if you were to look at their numbers you'd probably find a few that played 50 or 100 reserve games or more. And a few of them turned out ok..

I read a great article somewhere last year (r.e. the Hawks during the 80s) about this and linking it to the pies and cats success. Basically it comes down to two things. You've played a lot of games before you're thrust into the heat of AFL (so to speak) and you aren't gifted games. You play because you've earned it and deserve it not because you were a high draft pick and there's no one better.

Caddy and Toy, what chance either of them, and which one is the best do you reckon?
Are either from the area?

Caddy coming along well, has shown enough to suggest he will be a really solid player. Toy was a highly rated junior. And thats where he seems to have left it. Hasnt done anything to suggest he is going to be worth anything more than a 3rd round pick at best.

I have no idea but I think Ottens is doing something with the rucks.

Otto is the current ruck coach, albeit I think only on a part time basis.

Heard today (from a fairly reliable source) that Boak and PRIMUS will be at Geelong next year. Just wondering where Primus would fit if it was true. Who is the current Ruck coack at Geelong?
Wonder what the sauce makes of this then?

TRAVIS Boak has reaffirmed his commitment to Port Adelaide, prompting the club to resume contract negotiations with his manager.

Seemingly headed out of the Alberton exit door after coach Matthew Primus was sacked three weeks ago, midfield ace Boak has told the Power he wants to stay and will not wait for the club to announce a new coach before putting pen to paper on a new deal.
"He's not waiting for the coaching thing to be decided," Port football operations manager Peter Rohde said.
"Obviously he is close to Matty, there's no denying that, and he wanted to know about our coaching process and our resources for next year but we have spoken to him about that and got his feedback.
"We've filled him in with the coaching and some other things that we've got planned moving forward and he's h

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ens-negotiations/story-e6frecjc-1226458463805

If tis true they must be offering him Ablett like money and some scuba equipment!

I'll be sad for not only the GFC but also Boak if he decides to stick with Port. Loyalty is all well and good but it would be more naive than anything IMO. A bit misguided.

perhaps Port have already found their new coach and it's a big factor into Boak's decision?

Captaincy and an experienced coach + extra cash ( and some scuba gear) could be very persuasive

I doubt they have just yet, but whatever the case, Boak may decide to stay for more than just loyalty. Still, it's pretty obvious that he is a good bloke and is mindful of the state of the club he plays for... essentially not wanting to be a rat deserting a sinking ship. His career will be the worse for it though, if he does stay.

Hard to know what to make of all of this now.

If he still hasn't signed by the second week of the finals series then I'd be confident that he's decided to leave. Surprising (and very unprofessional) that Rohde is providing a running commentary as to where Boak sits in relation to his re-signing.

I heard that all the Port Bigfooty Posters have approached the club, and put forward a rotating roster where they all take a turn to be Boaks private Butler. This has caused Boak to commit because he doesn't want to be kicked out on his Fanny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard that all the Port Bigfooty Posters have approached the club, and put forward a rotating roster where they all take a turn to be Boaks private Butler. This has caused Boak to commit because he doesn't want to be kicked out on his Fanny.

So he's getting a butler for 5 or 6 weeks is he?

Hard to know what to make of all of this now.

If he still hasn't signed by the second week of the finals series then I'd be confident that he's decided to leave. Surprising (and very unprofessional) that Rohde is providing a running commentary as to where Boak sits in relation to his re-signing.

Rhode's been doing that all year. Trying to make it seem like they are in control of the situation.
In reality they aren't, the only person who knows what Boak is doing is probaby Boak, and until he says something everybody is guessing.

Rhode's been doing that all year. Trying to make it seem like they are in control of the situation.
In reality they aren't, the only person who knows what Boak is doing is probaby Boak, and until he says something everybody is guessing.

Absolutely. I'm not sure whether Rhode realises that he is effectively putting his credibility now on the line - if Boak now leaves PA then he looks like a fool - for someone whose position is tenuous in a volatile industry I reckon it's a pretty high risk strategy (if indeed it is a strategy - for all I know the guy is too stupid to realise the consequences of his actions..)

Absolutely. I'm not sure whether Rhode realises that he is effectively putting his credibility now on the line - if Boak now leaves PA then he looks like a fool - for someone whose position is tenuous in a volatile industry I reckon it's a pretty high risk strategy (if indeed it is a strategy - for all I know the guy is too stupid to realise the consequences of his actions..)

Ha ha thats funny Rhode and credibility in the same sentence. Surely he the most insipid football manager in the AFL.

Did you see Before the Game on Thursday?
Port have had no approaches from potential coaches. No one is interested.

Are people really this gullible?

Who said Port have had no approaches, because theres been at least 3 assistant coaches come out and say that they will be applying for the job.

Are people really this gullible?

Who said Port have had no approaches, because theres been at least 3 assistant coaches come out and say that they will be applying for the job.
I think you need an experience coach. Didn't Terry Wallace come out and say he wanted the gig for 2 years? and he would mentor someone to take the reigns off him? Im with you though of course people would want the gig, its a tough gig though.

I think you need an experience coach. Didn't Terry Wallace come out and say he wanted the gig for 2 years? and he would mentor someone to take the reigns off him? Im with you though of course people would want the gig, its a tough gig though.

No doubt its a tough gig but just about every coaching job that comes open is a tough gig. Its no tougher than the Dogs job with a lopsided list, minimal mid-range experience and zero forward line to speak of...or the Melbourne job with their best youngster walking out and a very inexperienced list. If you want to be a senior coach, 19 times out of 20 you have to take over an under performing list.

No doubt its a tough gig but just about every coaching job that comes open is a tough gig. Its no tougher than the Dogs job with a lopsided list, minimal mid-range experience and zero forward line to speak of...or the Melbourne job with their best youngster walking out and a very inexperienced list. If you want to be a senior coach, 19 times out of 20 you have to take over an under performing list.
True, but i think off the field you guys are in a worse position. But if you can retain your players there certainly is a core group to work with.

Bloody oath!
Not many coaches get to take over a list that had won 2 flags in 4 years or the previous years Premiers & grand final runners up.
Chris Scott and Nathan Buckley had been extremely lucky to get the gigs they did - most coaches have to completely rebuild a club that is down and out, And the way the Pies are going at the moment it seems as though the decision has backfired on Collingwood anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back