No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
the same Ange that won the Asian Cup recently? i think this squad is lacking genuine forwards and theres not much you can do when the only danger to scoring is an old Cahill...

Yes, that Ange. He can't keep dining out on the Asian Cup forever. We only beat one decent team that entire tournament and that was in the final - we also had home field advantage the entire tournament. He's also the same Ange that saw us get absolutely embarassed at the 2014 World Cup. He's also the same Ange that couldn't get us past Thailand on home turf to get automatic qualification.

You can blame the cattle all you want (plenty of quality Aussie players playing at the top level throughout the world) - the fact is that we have always floundered with an Australian at the helm (Farina wasted one of our best squads of all time). Being jingoistic is all well and good - but there are no Australian coaches up to international standard at present and we should have realised this earlier with Ange and switched to an international coach. If we fail to qualify for this world cup it will be an utter disgrace.

Yes, that Ange. He can't keep dining out on the Asian Cup forever. We only beat one decent team that entire tournament and that was in the final - we also had home field advantage the entire tournament. He's also the same Ange that saw us get absolutely embarassed at the 2014 World Cup. He's also the same Ange that couldn't get us past Thailand on home turf to get automatic qualification.

You can blame the cattle all you want (plenty of quality Aussie players playing at the top level throughout the world) - the fact is that we have always floundered with an Australian at the helm (Farina wasted one of our best squads of all time). Being jingoistic is all well and good - but there are no Australian coaches up to international standard at present and we should have realised this earlier with Ange and switched to an international coach. If we fail to qualify for this world cup it will be an utter disgrace.

Guus Hiddinks dont grow on trees, Eddie Thompson was a decent coach for the socceroos, all the others were not very successful, thats 1 dutch and 1 immigrant aussie coach

as for our squad, of course thats a main reason why we are struggling to finish in the top 4 in asia to qualify, i remember when our squads were terrible for years before that golden generation that got us a 2nd at confederations cup and top 16 in the world cup in germany, this squad is lacking star power that we had in previous campaigns

Guus Hiddinks dont grow on trees, Eddie Thompson was a decent coach for the socceroos, all the others were not very successful, thats 1 dutch and 1 immigrant aussie coach

as for our squad, of course thats a main reason why we are struggling to finish in the top 4 in asia to qualify, i remember when our squads were terrible for years before that golden generation that got us a 2nd at confederations cup and top 16 in the world cup in germany, this squad is lacking star power that we had in previous campaigns

So just 1 Aussie - Thompson is a Scotsman. As a half Scotsman, and someone who had a family connection to Eddie I can't let him be claimed as an Aussie :p

I know they can't all be Hiddink - but Venables, Holger and Osieck all have better records overall than Ange does, even without the Asian Cup on their resume.

If we somehow scrape through into the World Cup via Panama - I would love us to find an international coach before the world cup. Probably won't happen though and we'll be lambs for the slaughter on the biggest stage yet again.

Barrett saying us and the Lions are 'rorting' things with the Hodge stuff. Basically calling Hodge a liar. Can we support Hodge in suing this prick for defamation.
Lol what a f-wit. We’re going to get something like a 4th rounder from Brisbane at best. Totally worth risking draft tampering punishments for :rolleyes:

Lol what a f-wit. We’re going to get something like a 4th rounder from Brisbane at best. Totally worth risking draft tampering punishments for :rolleyes:

All to help the Lions get pick 19. Sounds like something we would do...

Watch what happens if we somehow trade for Schache - Barrett will go full conspiracy mode on us.

Nothing that comes from Barrett's mouth surprises me anymore.

Journalistic crap.

Clearly a loop-hole was exploited. Well done AFL as per usual for amateur hour and not thinking things through...

All to help the Lions get pick 19. Sounds like something we would do...

Watch what happens if we somehow trade for Schache - Barrett will go full conspiracy mode on us.

I don't understand your angst toward Barrett here? We've been shown to be extremely crafty as a club in everything that we do, this is just another on the list. It's a clever move by us and surprisingly Brisbane

So 2 days completed of trade week and no deals are done, remind me why they decide to have trade period last 2 weeks again ? The thing could last 2 months and all the deals would be completed in the final 48 hours.

I don't understand your angst toward Barrett here? We've been shown to be extremely crafty as a club in everything that we do, this is just another on the list. It's a clever move by us and surprisingly Brisbane
it's actually a Barrett nothing article as far as I can tell, if you trade for a player you don't get them under free agency, therefore your compensation is not impacted.

Brisbane could still have traded for Hodge even if he had not retired, it actually gives them less choices on how to acquire him not more

it's a typical AFL media click bait outrage article

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that a Gold Coast Brisbane merge may be possible if they both stay at the bottom for a few more years.
Thoughts?

I think that a Gold Coast Brisbane merge may be possible if they both stay at the bottom for a few more years.
Thoughts?

Doubt it - the TV deal will depend on 18 teams and therefore 9 games per week.

If anything I think they would relocate the Suns to Cairns (big AFL community up there, a stadium that could host them before being expanded upon and would require a change in team name and colours) and allow Brisbane to have more of SEQ to themselves. Possibly both Brisbane and the new Cairns Suns could then play 2-3 games a year at Metricon to keep the locals happy.

I also see GWS moving permanently to Canberra within 5-10 years if support for them doesn't grow in Sydney.

With this douche being the centrepiece of trade week this year everything is going to take a loooooong time.

I bet my left nut they don’t get all three deals done.

Rumours already of Saints making a play for Smith.

What's more exciting - trade week or, the stink over a medal in a pair of breasts?

Unlike others, no interest in the breasts ;) but I am curious to know who the player is. Anyone able to give a hint? (I'm sure it's on here somewhere but can't face wading through pages of boob jokes to find it :rolleyes: :p ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back