No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any actual criminal conviction however is incredibly harsh and two years jail as even a possibility is draconian in the extreme

The legislation allows for sentencing for 2 years because the legislation also covers people who use revenge pr0n as a means of blackmail and intimidation. I don't find that draconian in any way, shape or form. It's to protect against ex-partners using photos to threaten people when relationships sour. There are numerous examples of this occurring.

Im probably the instigator of all this and I've got no issues with him being penalised (Civil penalties not criminal) a lawsuit and if the case could be proven a five figure penalty would both assuage the girls 'shame and embarrassment' and serve to discourage others from sharing naughty pics.
(Call me cynical but I have a sneaking suspicion that a payment will be forthcoming and when it does the charges will instantaneously be dropped)

Any actual criminal conviction however is incredibly harsh and two years jail as even a possibility is draconian in the extreme.

"Look how shes undressed" you mean.
So in other words
She's nude so it's her fault
This is so backward I can't even begin to understand what's going on in your head

Can't wait for the next home game at the G. Going to take some happy snaps of blokes at the urinal - I mean if they have their dick out then they should expect people to be taking pictures of it. I mean if they didn't want their dicks photographed they should have used the stalls. Personal responsibility and all that.

Guess what if you break the law you a real criminal

And your second point, that's the issue, if a woman takes a stand she has to deal with public scrutiny and there are plenty of campaigners lining her up to lay blame at her feet.
If the woman, any woman stands up to this and the person involved is a public figure she's going to cop flack from random assholes on the internet, she's going to cop flack from the other parties friends and lawyers

She in a lot of ways makes it harder on herself by standing up, which is bullshit and here you are being one of those internet assholes about it and saying well she let the photo be taken she should just shut up and wear it.

It's not right
If its such a serious criminal matter surely we should be giving the player involved the presumption of innocence then?
Until its proven beyond reasonable doubt I would imagine that the two quoted posts below (and about a hundred similar if I could be ****ed looking) become relevant and all necessary steps will be taken to ensure no innocent individual is subjected to libellous scuttlebutt?
People have already been taken to court in this country for things they have posted on forums or social media, just for extra laughs it doesn't even matter if what you are saying is true under some circumstances with the way our laws work.

Public outrage on social media achieves nothing and can actually stop the successful prosecution of a case if the judge decided there is no way for the defendants to get a fair trial.

So in other words
She's nude so it's her fault
This is so backward I can't even begin to understand what's going on in your head
It was a simple play on words.

If its such a serious criminal matter surely we should be giving the player involved the presumption of innocence then?
Until its proven beyond reasonable doubt I would imagine that the two quoted posts below (and about a hundred similar if I could be ****** looking) become relevant and all necessary steps will be taken to ensure no innocent individual is subjected to libellous scuttlebutt?

It was a simple play on words.
i will give you the first bit, it's possible someone else posted the photo from his phone, but I haven't seen you defending the players innocence, just complaining about real crimes and waste of resources and her fault

nice to see you have time to go digging through posts from two years ago, related to a pretty serious matter, I haven't named anyone or suggested any punishment, I've said the action of posting said photo is a bad one, I've said that blaming the woman involved is bullshit and that this is as presented is being investigated as a real crime, because as the law is written it could be

i will give you the first bit, it's possible someone else posted the photo from his phone, but I haven't seen you defending the players innocence, just complaining about real crimes and waste of resources and her fault

nice to see you have time to go digging through posts from two years ago, related to a pretty serious matter, I haven't named anyone or suggested any punishment, I've said the action of posting said photo is a bad one, I've said that blaming the woman involved is bullshit and that this is as presented is being investigated as a real crime, because as the law is written it could be
The fact that it's a 'faceless' player shall we say is surely irrelevant as they are easily identifiable by being associated with the woman in question on social media?

The fact that it's a 'faceless' player shall we say is surely irrelevant as they are easily identifiable by being associated with the woman in question on social media?

No one here has named the player. Dare say none of us are walking the plank of libel or defamation.

No one here has named the player. Dare say none of us are walking the plank of libel or defamation.
You have completely convinced me with unassailable logic.

Since the player is faceless and cannot be identified then none of us has done anything worthy of criminal sanction now have we?

You have completely convinced me with unassailable logic.

Since the player is faceless and cannot be identified then none of us has done anything worthy of criminal sanction now have we?

Nice try. So because it's a faceless nude picture he hasn't done anything wrong? Goalposts shift again.

And nothing we've said is remotely close to libel or defamation. If it was a moderator would have removed it.

Being that the media has published all the information being discussed here, I think we'll be okay.

Nice try. So because it's a faceless nude picture he hasn't done anything wrong? Goalposts shift again.

And nothing we've said is remotely close to libel or defamation. If it was a moderator would have removed it.

Being that the media has published all the information being discussed here, I think we'll be okay.
Really?
Guy committed a crime, plain and simple.
Defamatory libel, plain and simple.

No the goalposts are right where I first put them
Its nothing.
A pair of anonymous ****.
To suggest it should be subject to criminal sanctions at all let alone jail time is laughable.

Deserves two years jail????????????
GTFO you overly sensitive prudes.

I have a daughter, and if she is ever in this predicament, I will hunt the little campaigner down who shares the pic and break his legs.

No discussion with her about how stupid she was?

I have an 18 year old daughter. Given the world we live in Im going to assume she has taken nude pics. Regardless of whether or not I tell her not to.

It would be horrible if they got out but she has to bear some responsibility.

Really?

Defamatory libel, plain and simple.

No the goalposts are right where I first put them

Sharing a naked picture of someone without their consent is a crime in the state of Victoria. Do you actually disbelieve that?

Not saying he's 100% guilty - saying if guilty of what he's been accused of the has most definitely committed a crime.

Happy to take my chances on defamation under fair comment.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sharing a naked picture of someone without their consent is a crime in the state of Victoria. Do you actually disbelieve that?

So you are 100% sure he had no consent, broke the law, and now its just a matter of what level of punishment?

If you ever get called for Jury Duty please show your post to the Sheriff and ask to be excused.

So you are 100% sure he had no consent, broke the law, and now its just a matter of what level of punishment?

If you ever get called for Jury Duty please show your post to the Sheriff and ask to be excused.

Of course I'm not 100% sure. It's the internet - I'm not going to finesse every bloody statement with weasel words to give myself cover because this isn't my professional writing.

I'm merely trying to point out that if the player has done what they are accused of - then they have committed a crime. Some are acting as if the alleged act is not even a crime - when in Victoria it very much is.

Without the word "allegedly" added to it, the sentence "Guy commited a crime, plain and simple" about someone who has not been convicted is about as textbook a definition of defamatory libel as you can get.
Lucky for you its just a Civil matter so you will only lose your house not be imprisoned.

Of course I'm not 100% sure. It's the internet - I'm not going to finesse every bloody statement with weasel words to give myself cover because this isn't my professional writing.

I'm merely trying to point out that if the player has done what they are accused of - then they have committed a crime. Some are acting as if the alleged act is not even a crime - when in Victoria it very much is.

Pretty sure you accused someone of committing a crime. I didnt see an "if".

The real irony here is you made a definitive statement yet you cannot with 100% certainty name either of the parties directly involved nor any of the 3rd parties who may have received and possibly forwarded on the pic.

Without the word "allegedly" added to it, the sentence "Guy commited a crime, plain and simple" about someone who has not been convicted is about as textbook a definition of defamatory libel as you can get.
Lucky for you its just a Civil matter so you can only lose your house not be imprisoned.

Good thing I don't own a house.

My meaning is simple. And I'll quantify it plainly for any lawyers for the player in question. IF the player has done what he is accused of then under Victorian law a crime has been committed.

Pretty sure you accused someone of committing a crime. I didnt see an "if".

The real irony here is you made a definitive statement yet you cannot with 100% certainty name either of the parties directly involved nor any of the 3rd parties who may have received and possibly forwarded on the pic.

Wow, I misspoke on the internet. Stop the presses. Read my post above for any clarification.

OK I think it might be time to take a break from this topic. It's a big issue, bigger than footy or one incident. There are other places to talk about it on here, threads dedicated to the topic or incident.

If people think it needs it's own thread we can look into that but we aren't getting anywhere on this at the moment. Let's all step back and have a think.

Lucky for you its just a Civil matter so you will only lose your house not be imprisoned.
Tell ya what, with house prices the way they are, I think I'd opt for a stint inside!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back