Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This league is an absolute farce. Part of me regrets ever following a team in the first place when I see s**t like the AFL's decision today. I almost wish Hawthorn ceased to exist so I could have the intense satisfaction of giving the AFL the middle finger and never watching a game ever gain. Corrupt bastards.

Changing the rules on the fly gets me. The goalposts are continually shifting. How do you play the game?

Changing the rules on the fly gets me. The goalposts are continually shifting. How do you play the game?
Imagine actually trying to rebuild the Draft when it has been altered for close to a decade now LOL

The funniest thing is the AFL claim they can take away any of the future concessions if the Suns improve.

What if the Suns trade those picks away this year? Did the AFL even think about that? Because it would be unlike the AFL not to think things through...

If the Suns are even half smart they need to trade away those future picks this season and just take 1 and 2 to the Draft.

This will be the next move. Literal goalpost shifting so the Suns get every shot 20m out right in front no matter where they mark inside 50.

Reminder that the Suns ****ed up their initial list build but hit the reset button in 2016 with picks 4, 7, 9, 10 that was going to set them up for the future.

Yet they continue to complain that they weren't given enough to start with like the Giants were. Even if that is the case if they can not turn those picks in to anything than they do not deserve to be gifted more.

Mark Evans now talking about the Gold Coast assistance package.

Despite not initially like it, I do admit Evans does make really good points. Big thing that stood out to me was the fact that the biggest issue with the Suns was their TPP was near capped out, despite being bottom of the ladder (a lot of back-ended deals for example). So for them, they needed to adopt a medium to long-term plan just so they had time to flush out some of the players being overpaid.

Man. Dew stepped into a minefield it feels. Walks in and is like "wait, we're nearly capped out in terms of the salary cap. WTF"

Whilst I don't like fledgling clubs getting over-access to young talent, as I fear they get mismanaged, I do feel like with Dew and Evans in control this time, they will manage the process far better.

It will absolutely fail. Every sporting franchise on the Gold Coast fails. It is a graveyard. It's a s**t city with no common identity - just a loose bunch of suburbs with a strip of beach nearby. It's not like Brisbane where people have a parochial love of where they are from. Gold Coast folk mostly don't give a toss. There is no sense nor logic to the AFL continually flogging this very dead horse - but here they are.
It's not like they've had a plethora of failed Gold Coast team adventures to base their decision on ...

Gold Coast-Tweed Giants (NRL)
Gold Coast Seagulls (NRL)
Gold Coast Chargers (NRL)
Gold Coast Blaze (Basketball)
Gold Coast Cougars/Rollers (Basketball)
East Coast Aces (Union)
Gold Coast United (Soccer)

Then you have both current teams in Titans and Suns both being the jokes of their respective sports.

You really have to wonder what the **** went through their heads thinking this would be a good place to put a footy team?! 4 times they've tried to put an NRL team there in NRL heartland and 4 times it's failed, but yeh, nah a footy team will succeed!

Mark Evans now talking about the Gold Coast assistance package.

Despite not initially like it, I do admit Evans does make really good points. Big thing that stood out to me was the fact that the biggest issue with the Suns was their TPP was near capped out, despite being bottom of the ladder (a lot of back-ended deals for example). So for them, they needed to adopt a medium to long-term plan just so they had time to flush out some of the players being overpaid.

Man. Dew stepped into a minefield it feels. Walks in and is like "wait, we're nearly capped out in terms of the salary cap. WTF"

Whilst I don't like fledgling clubs getting over-access to young talent, as I fear they get mismanaged, I do feel like with Dew and Evans in control this time, they will manage the process far better.
You know what? I really couldn't give a shit how difficult how difficult Mark Evans' job is.

The AFL created this mess. This utter farce of a rescue package -which compromises the integrity of the entire competition no less- is being handed out purely to save the skins of those at AFL House responsible for the initial ****up by having the moronic idea of putting a team on the GC in the first place. This isn't about Mark Evans or Stewie Dew's job easier, its about putting $$$$$ in the AFL's pockets as always and covering their own behinds.

You know what? I really couldn't give a s**t how difficult how difficult Mark Evans' job is.

The AFL created this mess. This utter farce of a rescue package -which compromises the integrity of the entire competition no less- is being handed out purely to save the skins of those at AFL House responsible for the initial fu**up by having the moronic idea of putting a team on the GC in the first place. This isn't about Mark Evans or Stewie Dew's job easier, its about putting $$$$$ in the AFL's pockets as always and covering their own behinds.
👏🏽 bravo... you absolutely nailed it and pretty much vented for me.

One of the first 2 picks in the draft should have been given to the Gil Coast Suns on the provision that one of them be traded so they can trade they can bring in an AFL-experienced player who has the qualities needed around the club.

Work ethic :whitecheck:
Leadership :whitecheck:
Experience in an elite professional environment :whitecheck:
Preparation :whitecheck:
Rapport with coaches and teammates :whitecheck:
... and so on.

Just because i am not done sooking about this yet here is a list of the picks the Suns have held over the last 3 years

4, 7, 9, 10, 2, 2, 3, 6, 23, 1, 2, 20

That is from 2016 to this season.

INSANE!

Just because i am not done sooking about this yet here is a list of the picks the Suns have held over the last 3 years

4, 7, 9, 10, 2, 2, 3, 6, 23, 1, 2, 20

That is from 2016 to this season.

INSANE!
It's funny because they'll still fail!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the first 2 picks in the draft should have been given to the Gil Coast Suns on the provision that one of them be traded so they can trade they can bring in an AFL-experienced player who has the qualities needed around the club.

... and so on.
I agree although they probably can’t find a good player who wants to go there.

It's not like they've had a plethora of failed Gold Coast team adventures to base their decision on ...

Gold Coast-Tweed Giants (NRL)
Gold Coast Seagulls (NRL)
Gold Coast Chargers (NRL)
Gold Coast Blaze (Basketball)
Gold Coast Cougars/Rollers (Basketball)
East Coast Aces (Union)
Gold Coast United (Soccer)

Then you have both current teams in Titans and Suns both being the jokes of their respective sports.

You really have to wonder what the fu** went through their heads thinking this would be a good place to put a footy team?! 4 times they've tried to put an NRL team there in NRL heartland and 4 times it's failed, but yeh, nah a footy team will succeed!
Don't forget the Brisbane Bears!

... and so on.
Luke Hodge will never be allowed to retire...

If only a club existed that was in a non-traditional market and had been successful for a long period of time with some of the best and most marketable players in the game but still wasn't remotely succesful in its market despite this existed.

Oh wait - it does. The AFL needs to look at the Storm and realise they are on a hiding to nothing here. They will only ever get a small fan-base for these plastic franchises. The Storm are in the most passionate sporting city in the country, have had 20 years in which they've made multiple grand finals and have never really had a single period of being a poor side. In this time some of the greatest players of all time have played for them. Despite this - the Storm are a continual afterthought in Melbourne and despire a small loyal following - does not enter the minds of most Melbourne people.

Sustained success for the Suns and Giants will do relatively **** all in terms of growth of the game - so stop trying to make it happen to the deteriment of the rest of the ****ing league.

Trade Radio is some of the funniest sh*t ever. Nick DS saying Gold Coast's culture is fine ...

I wouldn’t be surprised if the fools on Traderadio are being told what to say, from an AFL perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back