No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is. But there is clearly bias.

There's bias in everything, you're never going to get an award completely removed from it. Even an award built on statistical analysis is influenced by the bias of the people that built it - a great example is Champion Data's love affair with ruckmen.

According to this article, for the first 10 years the Brownlow Medal was voted on by the media. I can't comment on the validity of the site though.

Yeah not sure about that either, I found another article stating that since the first medal was won by Carji Greeves that it was decided by the umpires.

Never mind. I’m wrong. I thought I heard them say on the coverage Sunday night that early on there was a period where it wasn’t umpire voted, but a quick check online doesn’t confirm that. The coverage was so dull that I clearly hallucinated an alternate history for the award :drunk:
The first 10 years the media voted on the Brownlow - that is what channel 7 said Sunday night

Worth listening to. Charles Brownlow, a story about his life. He had to hid his identity when he first played because his father wouldn't allow him to play. It could have been the Chas Green medal! If you go to about 15-30 you will hear a description on how the League, in setting up the Brownlow decided it would be awarded by votes from the umpires

Last edited:
The first 10 years the media voted on the Brownlow - that is what channel 7 said Sunday night

Channel 7 were wrong then (shock, horror). The Wikipedia article for the 1924 Brownlow (first one) says it was umpire voted - this is confirmed via an article in The Argus from the time which confirms it was umpire voted.

This article about the 1930 Brownlow count on the Richmond website also confirms it was umpire voted:

Not shooting messengers here - just stating Channel 7 were wrong.

Glad others heard it. I was recalling it so vividly I thought I must have finally snapped in lockdown.

Glad others heard it. I was recalling it so vividly I thought I must have finally snapped in lockdown.

I wonder if they said it because of the Topend Sports article that was quoted a few posts back. If so, Channel 7 need better researchers.

I wonder if they said it because of the Topend Sports article that was quoted a few posts back. If so, Channel 7 need better researchers.
I will wait for confirmation from the Ministry of Truth.

Channel 7 were wrong then (shock, horror). The Wikipedia article for the 1924 Brownlow (first one) says it was umpire voted - this is confirmed via an article in The Argus from the time which confirms it was umpire voted.

This article about the 1930 Brownlow count on the Richmond website also confirms it was umpire voted:

Not shooting messengers here - just stating Channel 7 were wrong.
I'm not in anyway doubting that umpires have always voted on this medal, but using wikipedia to prove something else is wrong is just hilarious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh for sure, you just need to look at the vote tallies. The vote record has been broken, broken again and matched since 2016. Umpires get caught up in the hype around players, but I don't think there's a way to remedy that.

I'd love to see other medals treated with the same importance, as I said. It would be great to have an award to recognise an elite defender every year because they get zero recognition currently.

The Coaches award should be the highest rated individual award. The coaches are the people that know best who did the damage.
Even the coaches demonstrate bias. I don’t even think the coaches awards correlate that well with bnfs! There isn’t a perfect system but maybe we just value bnfs above competition awards?

I'm not in anyway doubting that umpires have always voted on this medal, but using wikipedia to prove something else is wrong is just hilarious.

Come on Grumble, I consulted directly with the primary sources that Wikipedia mentioned. I thought that of anyone on here that you would have been approving of me going the extra mile with the research.

Come on Grumble, I consulted directly with the primary sources that Wikipedia mentioned. I thought that of anyone on here that you would have been approving of me going the extra mile with the research.
Absolutely. As I said I don't disagree with the final result, but I would have, (if I were you) cited the actual citation rather than wiki. I mean wiki has no mention of Dangerfield as a complete butcher of the ball, how unreliable is that?

This looks good.

Big pass from me, rather watch paint dry.

I moved up here in the middle of the 3 peat so my first experience living in Brisbane was putting up with the arrogant bandwagon supporters who probably thought they were watching the Broncos play, intermingled with a few floggings at the Gabba.

That's a period I'm not too keen to relive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back