No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that is what I’m saying. He is the only other number 1 to win a flag that I could think of regardless of original club. Clubs that finish last don’t win flags within 10 years of finishing last. I did some analysis on this last year and posted it somewhere.

Brisbane did it within 3 and West Coast did it within 8. GWS also made a grand final 6 years after their last spoon.

I do agree with your overall point though that bottoming out for the number 1 pick is hardly a ticket to success and the results tend to prove that being that barely any number 1 picks end up winning a flag - original club or otherwise.

Brisbane did it within 3 and West Coast did it within 8. GWS also made a grand final 6 years after their last spoon.

I do agree with your overall point though that bottoming out for the number 1 pick is hardly a ticket to success and the results tend to prove that being that barely any number 1 picks end up winning a flag - original club or otherwise.
That post is a follow on from the previous post in which I identified 3 clubs that had taken the number one pick in the draft and won a flag with that player. Boyd being another that did it at another club.

There are asterisks next to the Brisbane one though, they certainly didn't belong there.

Lynch, Lambert, Hart, Ashcroft, White, McRae, Voss, Leppitsch, Lappin, Aker, Bradshaw, Black were all on that list.

Bombre fans might need to get use to losing on the back of Jones not taking his chances.
He should have got a 50. Was a poor decision not to pay it that free kick was going only 1 way. Still should have nailed it. Pretty much straight in front 40-45 metres out. Has an issue with his goal kicking from what I've seen of the kid and that might set a few demons loose in his head.

Pies fans (including my missus and her dad) are cracking the shits over the Ginnivan non free. The little prick only has himself to blame.

Dylan Moore copped it high twice and Hawks fans were like "Yep, fair enough.".
I'll just leave this here (from another board):

1658717129586.png
It's like they almost get it, innit?

(*Dylan Moore has managed to go alright since he stopped getting those high frees)

The exception because we didn’t finish last that year, we traded for the the pick.

The answer is 0 since 2000. Not sure re 90s.
Wrong

Drew Banfield was drafted by West Coast pick 1 in 92, won flags in 94 and 2006

Des Headland was drafted by Brisbane pick 1 in 98, won a flag in 2001

Can't believe the Saints are interested in DeGoey. Is there a club less able to deal with players who have questionable off-field decision-making?

If Clubs are smart they should let the Pies keep Grundy and DeGoey as offset for their recent father-son benefits !!

View attachment 1455952

(*Dylan Moore has managed to go alright since he stopped getting those high frees)
Unfortunately for Ginnivan the tackle from Redman had already gone high, but due to Jack’s well known reflex action when a tackle is incoming he’d also already started dropping and even though contact to the neck was already made, Jack also flipped up his arm, making it near impossible for the umpire to see it as anything other than Jack Ginnivan staging for a free once more.

If he can’t quell his reflex action his career is indeed in trouble.

Wrong

Drew Banfield was drafted by West Coast pick 1 in 92, won flags in 94 and 2006

Des Headland was drafted by Brisbane pick 1 in 98, won a flag in 2001
West Coast had just won the flag in 92. A very nice place for a pick 1 to walk into.

Brisbane is the one. Though Headland ended up not helping them win the flag. It was the players they already had on the list that really shouldn’t have finished last.

View attachment 1455952

For the sake of your retinas I beg you to go dark mode!

Unfortunately for Ginnivan the tackle from Redman had already gone high, but due to Jack’s well known reflex action when a tackle is incoming he’d also already started dropping and even though contact to the neck was already made, Jack also flipped up his arm, making it near impossible for the umpire to see it as anything other than Jack Ginnivan staging for a free once more.

If he can’t quell his reflex action his career is indeed in trouble.
precisely - the point they nearly get, if only they could take it that little bit further...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, that is what I’m saying. He is the only other number 1 to win a flag that I could think of regardless of original club. Clubs that finish last don’t win flags within 10 years of finishing last. I did some analysis on this last year and posted it somewhere.

Interestingly, since 2001, there have been five (out of 20) no. 1 picks that have played in at least 1 grand final with only 1 of them tasting success.

Interestingly, since 2001, there have been five (out of 20) no. 1 picks that have played in at least 1 grand final with only 1 of them tasting success.

Maybe Jackie could've gotten there if he wasn't so relentless in pursuit of his favourite two pastimes?

Or maybe the Dees wouldn't have won if they didn't trade him and (ahem) others?

Who knows

As if the gamblers who aren’t monitoring this are going to.
A monthly statement is akin to a bill, and most Australians check those in order to adjust their usage if necessary.

Ultimately there should be a running total on every gambling app, at least for each month, just as we now have with other bills.

Was at the game as a neutral and * me their ferals already have anointed him the golden boy. Everything he does no matter how basic like a 20m pass to a team mate they cream their dacks over it. Was having a chuckle with some mates about it. Likewise with Ginnivan. The amount of venom being spit when that non free kick occured was scary. Felt like a few were going to jump the fence. I don't mind Collingwood as a club no real angst towards them but the supporters are another level. Real arrogance about them as well like they own the MCG. Eddie has done a good job with their brand that's for sure. Got every supporter thinking their better than everyone else in all aspects.

You’d probably know they get to pay till they squeak for the privelidge. Battlers club no more. South Yarra magpies

Lambert just retired. Bloody good player.
I don't know why, but I was taken aback when it said Lambert was a three-time premiership player. He's been a very no-fuss type of player willing to do the work for little recognition that you definitely need in your team. Wait until Castagna retires, that will baffle all.

Plus, he's still a winner for dating Abbey Gelmi.

View attachment 1455952

Some players including Selwood and Puopolo also look to handball after the high tackle, instead of going all echidna around the pill

Lambert just retired. Bloody good player.
Talk about underrated, and pivotal. Really hard working. Dusty owes Lambert and Prestia a lot of credit for his amazing couple of seasons there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back