No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #13 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

His improvement was palpable when he went to the Cats.

Partly because they were a better side but maybe there was something else they did?

Hopefully the club does its due diligence and asks for his thoughts.

His improvement was palpable when he went to the Cats.

Partly because they were a better side but maybe there was something else they did?

Hopefully the club does its due diligence and asks for his thoughts.
He just got to play with better players- Tuohey was always a gun player for Carlton - but hey we got Marchbank for him so all good.

It's been interesting seeing the analysis on the Hawks given their recent run of form. It was very noticeable against us how easily the Hawks were able to pierce our zone by really making the ground feel massive.

Leigh Montagna covered it on AFL360 the other day, I'll post a link later for those interested.

The ABC have done a deeper analysis on it which is also quite fascinating.

I wonder if there are some aspects of it we can build into our game plan to open up the forward 50 and give players like Charlie and Harry more space to work into.

Hugh Greenwood has announced his retirement.

AFL announce a Ron Barassi medal to be awarded to the premiership winning skipper.

I think this is pretty boring, the premiership winning skipper can be the worst on ground in the GF and then gets a medal on top of his premiership medal, for what?

It's been interesting seeing the analysis on the Hawks given their recent run of form. It was very noticeable against us how easily the Hawks were able to pierce our zone by really making the ground feel massive.

Leigh Montagna covered it on AFL360 the other day, I'll post a link later for those interested.

The ABC have done a deeper analysis on it which is also quite fascinating.

I wonder if there are some aspects of it we can build into our game plan to open up the forward 50 and give players like Charlie and Harry more space to work into.
It’s not rocket science.
The Hawks use outside players wider and release them with longer handballs further outside of packs. Utilising run to open up and create uncontested play. That is why they don’t have any big targets up forward. They use space to lead into into forward and over the back.
The very game plan that hurts us. Once we lost the first possession and lacked any pressure, it was game over.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL announce a Ron Barassi medal to be awarded to the premiership winning skipper.

I think this is pretty boring, the premiership winning skipper can be the worst on ground in the GF and then gets a medal on top of his premiership medal, for what?
In 2015, Luke Hodge received his third Norm Smith medal. In that game, he had a dominant 3rd and 4th term, but Langford - inside his tenth game IIRC - had much more of an influence over the result when the going was hot and Fremantle were substantially more competitive; ie, when the game was there to be won, Langford won contest after contest and willed them forward. For all that their premierships were built on silk and turnover, Langford more or less completely matched a much stronger contested ball Fremantle for a day.

I'd like to think that, were there a captain's medal, Hodge wouldn't have won the Norm that day. He was a worthy recipient; just, that Langford's contribution towards the result was probably more significant on the day.

The new AFL regime seems to be making one faffup after another. A really good chance to put Barassi's name to a major award and this is the best they can come up with. They are an embarrassment.

Imagine this going to a captain that got concussed 5 mins into a GF.

What a pointless and terrible idea.

Imagine this going to a captain that got concussed 5 mins into a GF.

What a pointless and terrible idea.
Don't mind that so much. I'm more concerned about what happens when a captain misses the GF and his team wins with a substitute captain.

To me, it seems the award is about the leadership provided throughout the year to bring the club a premiership, so I don't mind so much if a captain were to get concussed 5 mins in. But missing the game altogether is a different story.

Ron Barassi absolutely deserves an award after him, but there aren't many "new" ways to award anyone now. I can see why they're going this route as the coach gets a medal after Jock McHale.

How else could the league legitimately honour Ron outside this?

In 2015, Luke Hodge received his third Norm Smith medal. In that game, he had a dominant 3rd and 4th term, but Langford - inside his tenth game IIRC - had much more of an influence over the result when the going was hot and Fremantle were substantially more competitive; ie, when the game was there to be won, Langford won contest after contest and willed them forward. For all that their premierships were built on silk and turnover, Langford more or less completely matched a much stronger contested ball Fremantle for a day.

I'd like to think that, were there a captain's medal, Hodge wouldn't have won the Norm that day. He was a worthy recipient; just, that Langford's contribution towards the result was probably more significant on the day.

I think he would have got the medal anyway, the judges love selecting favourites and the big name, on the winning captain getting the medal, its a medal for nothing in my view, they get the medallion for winning the GF already, injured in the first minute, still get the medal, get no touches, still get the medal.

I would have thought naming the cup would have been more fitting.

Ron Barassi absolutely deserves an award after him, but there aren't many "new" ways to award anyone now. I can see why they're going this route as the coach gets a medal after Jock McHale.

How else could the league legitimately honour Ron outside this?
An award for the team who has the biggest turnaround in a season....last year would have been us. This year Hawthorn

Not really being serious

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #13 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back