No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Draft picks don't necessarily mean success. Just ask GWS and particularly GC. Good luck tiges, an awful decade awaits you. Well, you lucked out with two extra premierships then you should have got for mine anyway, so take the bad with the good ( fortunate) .

There is so much more to learn about brain injuries, some of the latest.

The contested science of head injuries in sport

Wendy CarlisleAugust 31, 2024

According to CTE expert and adjunct professor at Swinburne University of Technology Alan Pearce, the AFL prefers to talk about concussion rather than the dangers of repeated head injury. The concussion protocols and head injury assessment (HIA) focus on what he calls the “symptomatology paradigm” – that is, hits that cause concussive symptoms.

“CTE is not caused by concussion. It’s due to exposure of small impacts over many years,” Pearce told a recent corporate fundraiser for the Concussion Legacy Foundation Australia in Melbourne. “Those people diagnosed with CTE had long careers and started contact sports from the age of five ... We’ve had players diagnosed with CTE who have never had a concussion.”

Of more than 100 donor brains analysed at the Australian Sports Brain Bank, 48 have been diagnosed with CTE. They include NRL and rugby union players, AFL players Danny Frawley, Shane Tuck and Graham “Polly” Farmer, and Heather Anderson, the first AFLW player to be diagnosed.

At the corporate fundraiser for the Concussion Legacy Foundation Australia, sitting at table one, were AFL retirees Nathan Murphy and Paddy McCartin.

Murphy, who played for 15 minutes in Collingwood’s grand final win last year before suffering a career-ending hit, is grateful for the AFL’s decision to retire him. “They ended my footy career,” said Murphy, before reframing it: “I mean, they saved my life.”

Nick Maxwell, a former Collingwood captain and All-Australian, said hearing Pearce talk about CTE was a shock. “I was surprised to hear that,” he said, “and I played footy from the age of five.”
I think that's overstating it. There has been a bit of a consensus in the field (except for evil Dr McCrory) that it's not only the incidents that result in the clinical pattern we call concussion but also more minor ones. The problem is how do you recognise the more minor ones? We have no easy way identify them*. To say that CTE is not caused by concussion is a stupid way to say it, it's semantics. Strictly speaking he is correct, its the force that's causes the concussion symptoms that also causes CTE. 'The hit and not the concussion' The concussion is a marker of significant trauma and one that definitely increases your risk of CTE. The minority of sportsman with CTE, 20% according to a pretty poor study, are said to have not had a concussion. We already know this from CTE in soldiers and industrial exposure. It's difficult to study. The field is hamstrung by there being no good premorbid test to diagnose CTE or events that will cause CTE. Symptoms of CTE overlap those on just about every neurological and psychological illness and they can take decades to evolve. There a few hints in the data that genetics is important. Folks with certain genes seem to have a propensity for it. One of the alleles APOE gene seem to increase your risk of CTE, but also worsens outcomes in major head trauma, post cardiac arrest neuro outcomes and maybe even stroke. Perhaps one day we will screen AFL players for these genes. There's a PhD for someone.

*Another PhD.. Accelerometers in head bands to measure the trauma, wait 20-50 years look at their brains.

There is so much more to learn about brain injuries, some of the latest.

The contested science of head injuries in sport

Wendy CarlisleAugust 31, 2024

According to CTE expert and adjunct professor at Swinburne University of Technology Alan Pearce, the AFL prefers to talk about concussion rather than the dangers of repeated head injury. The concussion protocols and head injury assessment (HIA) focus on what he calls the “symptomatology paradigm” – that is, hits that cause concussive symptoms.

“CTE is not caused by concussion. It’s due to exposure of small impacts over many years,” Pearce told a recent corporate fundraiser for the Concussion Legacy Foundation Australia in Melbourne. “Those people diagnosed with CTE had long careers and started contact sports from the age of five ... We’ve had players diagnosed with CTE who have never had a concussion.”

Of more than 100 donor brains analysed at the Australian Sports Brain Bank, 48 have been diagnosed with CTE. They include NRL and rugby union players, AFL players Danny Frawley, Shane Tuck and Graham “Polly” Farmer, and Heather Anderson, the first AFLW player to be diagnosed.

At the corporate fundraiser for the Concussion Legacy Foundation Australia, sitting at table one, were AFL retirees Nathan Murphy and Paddy McCartin.

Murphy, who played for 15 minutes in Collingwood’s grand final win last year before suffering a career-ending hit, is grateful for the AFL’s decision to retire him. “They ended my footy career,” said Murphy, before reframing it: “I mean, they saved my life.”

Nick Maxwell, a former Collingwood captain and All-Australian, said hearing Pearce talk about CTE was a shock. “I was surprised to hear that,” he said, “and I played footy from the age of five.”
This has been known for a long time. There are even instances in the army where working with artillery and heavy weaponry causes concussion like symptoms over time. Anything that rattles the brain, it can be a hit to the head or a hit to the body - footy isn't going to be out of the mud with CTE any time soon.

It’s days when I see players like Mason Wood and Brad Hill get 3yr contracts as 30yos and think thank god I follow tHawthorn instead of St Kilda. They will never win silverware when they have lost management decisions like this

*Another PhD.. Accelerometers in head bands to measure the trauma, wait 20-50 years look at their brains.
THIS. I've been suggesting this even on some amusement rides, to look at how much the head goes through that it wasn't designed for.

THIS. I've been suggesting this even on some amusement rides, to look at how much the head goes through that it wasn't designed for.

Ah, but what is the limiting principle on this push to minimal risk? And on what basis do we judge risk acceptable for someone to assume?

Heck, even the weekend jog may lead to long-term hip and joint issues. The long-term consequences of that activity are as uncertain as concussions. it's almost as if individuals need to take responsibility for the risks, known and unknown, in any activity. Someone should post "Ride at your own risk" signs at an amusement park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long term hip issues are a bit different to CTE that can lead to violent tendencies and suicidal thoughts amongst others.
But you keep up the false equivalence.

Ah, but what is the limiting principle on this push to minimal risk? And on what basis do we judge risk acceptable for someone to assume?

Heck, even the weekend jog may lead to long-term hip and joint issues. The long-term consequences of that activity are as uncertain as concussions. it's almost as if individuals need to take responsibility for the risks, known and unknown, in any activity. Someone should post "Ride at your own risk" signs at an amusement park.
Or "You have to be

<-----

this concussed to get on this ride.

Long term hip issues are a bit different to CTE that can lead to violent tendencies and suicidal thoughts amongst others.
Actually chronic pain and inflammation can in fact lead to those things.

Last edited:
It's doable. Accelerometers are cheap as chips, heck, they are chips.
It certainly is, I've done it. For different reasons. We put accelerometers on kids heads and on their hips. We wanted to see the effect of the natural inclination to reduce movement of the head in extreme changes in motion. The acceleration at the top of the head is far less than at the hip. This came from the observation of a Japanese architect who noticed from cameras fixed to trains that people who were standing showed that their heads moved relative to the train but their bodies didn't. It turned out it was because if the natural inclination to keep the head still relative to the earth, helped maintain balance. He installed large volumes of water in wooden towers suspended by chains to the tops of the towers and shook the crap out of them. The towers with the water "heads" didn't collapse, while towers without them fell apart almost immediately.

Wot? Are you new to this argument thing? You can’t introduce a new argument in rebuttal and then claim I didn’t address it and expect to have a winning argument.

My equivalence was that both injuries appear to have unknown, long-term consequences. That’s an indisputable fact and not in any way “false.”

So every other team in the comp has won a final in the last 20 years but Essendon?
Outstanding.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

So every other team in the comp has won a final in the last 20 years but Essendon?
Outstanding.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards
No, Gold coast hasn't even played one.

1. Running doesn't cause injury short or long term. Long term use injuries associated with running are caused by compensating for some disfunction while running. But i get what you are suggesting.
2. Not exercising at all probably worse than the risk exercising poses, especially if the program is targeted at improving gradually from current levels as opposed to trying to bust out 5km after not ever attempting it before.
3. Without appropriate studies to draw on, people cant make informed decisions around risk.

People should be able to take risks but in the absence of a reasonable body of evidence the decisions are being made under extreme uncertainty. People used to handle mercury with their bare hands. It was based on incomplete but the best available evidence. It stopped once people established how toxic it was. Science would lean on the precautionary principle to suggest if there is a concern we stop or slow down activity until we develop the evidence because usually the beneficiaries of the activities are not the same as those who incur the costs. It is one option. Or we could use a sign just not sure it is mitigating any risk or adding any information.

Three was selling phone plans it seems
Yeah I used to be with 3 mobile back in the day around that time. They used to also sponsor the Australian Cricket team and they had a cool feature at the time where you could live stream for free (it didn't count towards your data allowance) the 2006-2007 Ashes series. I have vivid memories of watching the Amazing Adelaide comeback test match with Warnie taking those wickets in the 2nd innings which turned the match on my tiny by today's standards Nokia while at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back