No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

To be the best, we need to beat the best. Playing more top 6 teams is better practice

Actually over 2 yrs hawks win 37% over top six finishing season better than total 34%
Mid 6 25% low 6 34%

Split of games between 6-6-6. Top 6 12-16-16 bottom 6

So should win an extra game in 2023

Last edited:
There all convinced were going to be terrible. Alot of opposing supporters etc it's become boring. I dare say the club wouldnt be paying much attention to it at all and neither should we.
Kane-o is in a weird situation. He never shuts up about how much of a football genius Sam is, and he rates a few of our youngsters, but at the same time he constantly talks about how we'll be irrelevant and we have no talent. I don't think he can genuinely believe all of those things concurrently.

I don't hate him as much as many on this board, and I kinda love how he engages with everyone about his takes on social media, but he is the definition of a rage bait journalist. Best to judge him on that curve.

Kane-o is in a weird situation. He never shuts up about how much of a football genius Sam is, and he rates a few of our youngsters, but at the same time he constantly talks about how we'll be irrelevant and we have no talent. I don't think he can genuinely believe all of those things concurrently.

I don't hate him as much as many on this board, and I kinda love how he engages with everyone about his takes on social media, but he is the definition of a rage bait journalist. Best to judge him on that curve.

He usually gives reasons for his opinions though, and seems to actually enjoy being challenged. I haven’t found him to be overly unfair in what he says most of the time.

We’ve very clearly shown that our win loss record is irrelevant next year, there’s no point being a middle of the road team never reaching the top.

Cornes saying we’re irrelevant next year isn’t incorrect, other than Hawks people does anyone care how we go next year? Nah.

That's only because he's up Sam's arse due to his weekly appearance on SEN.

He usually gives reasons for his opinions though, and seems to actually enjoy being challenged. I haven’t found him to be overly unfair in what he says most of the time.

We’ve very clearly shown that our win loss record is irrelevant next year, there’s no point being a middle of the road team never reaching the top.

Cornes saying we’re irrelevant next year isn’t incorrect, other than Hawks people does anyone care how we go next year? Nah.
From the perspective of pretty much anyone in footy, the Hawks are going to be extremely relevant next year. That might not mean factoring in to the finals conversation, but every serious football person would be keeping a keen eye on our approach to list management and how it'll work out.

If we were truly irrelevant, there wouldn't be so many articles suggesting we're irrelevant or destined for failure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why?
Do you really want Carlton making the finals after choking the back half of the season?

Having a wildcard system provides more meaning for more games in the back half of the year. Fewer boring dead rubbers, more eyeballs on screens etc.

What I want/what teams deserve/what is just hasn't mattered in the AFL for a long time and it's not going to start to matter now.

Teams with losing records shoudn't be able to play in finals each year. Inviting teams 9/10 into the finals picture will do just that most years. Mediocrity shouldn't be rewarded.

How the media have been pushing for years with the afl
7v10
8v9
Sorry, I don't understand.

Does this mean that the Top 6 teams make Finals, but 7th & 8th spot is open to any of 7th, 8th, 9th or 10th, depending on the winner of those games (7 v 10 & 8 v 9), held in Round 23?

I did not realise that we have actually added in another round for this Gather Round. WTF AFL?!?!

They've somehow taken a stupid idea from the NRL/Super League and made it even stupider. The name is cringeworthy (granted 'magic round' was a low base to work from) and they have ignored the triple header concept completely and relegated some sides to suburban grounds for no good reason at all.

Sorry, I don't understand.

Does this mean that the Top 6 teams make Finals, but 7th & 8th spot is open to any of 7th, 8th, 9th or 10th, depending on the winner of those games (7 v 10 & 8 v 9), held in Round 23?

Yes - 7 v 10 and 8 v 9 likely in what's currently the bye week, then the winner of those two games play in the EFs in the first week of finals as per normal.

Why don't they just have the whole ****ing league play the last wildcard round? 1v18, 2v17, 3v16, etc etc.

Let's just render the complete season's efforts largely meaningless, and base it on a single day instead.

Typical ****ing American style horseshit, lapped up by the cynical money-grabbing campaigners in charge at AFL.

****, I hate this shit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back