No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
every time I see the Maynard hit, it just reminds me of Kamala from the WWE all those years back with a big splash from the top of the ropes though šŸ˜Š

onto the verdict, I reckon Maynard turning with the shoulder will see him suspended. I donā€™t buy the argument that it was a natural action, as these players do things in split seconds so he knew exactly where his body was and what he was doing. That last turn of the body will cost him.

No it's not, Gerard Whateley. Just heard him make the same argument when Brad Johnson and Healy said it was purely an accident.

Are we going to forget that there were Hawks supporters STILL complaining last week about Sicily getting rubbed out for a legitimate tackle? So now a smother is bad too? Righto.
No the argument is that as Sicily was punished for the outcome of a reasonable football action we want the same standard applied by the afl

No the argument is that as Sicily was punished for the outcome of a reasonable football action we want the same standard applied by the afl
The AFL have gone too far with head high contact by not accepting that accidents can and do happen. They are seeking to hold someone responsible at every opportunity.

I actually don't believe Maynard should be suspended but the AFL set the benchmark with Sicily and have to continue with it now.

onto the verdict, I reckon Maynard turning with the shoulder will see him suspended. I donā€™t buy the argument that it was a natural action, as these players do things in split seconds so he knew exactly where his body was and what he was doing. That last turn of the body will cost him.
If Maynard doesn't turn, how does he protect himself?
The bump, the tackle, the smother, what next? The mark?
If concussions are to be a suspension then it should be for any player against any other player, team mates included as per duty of care owed to all players.

If Maynard doesn't turn, how does he protect himself?
The bump, the tackle, the smother, what next? The mark?
If concussions are to be a suspension then it should be for any player against any other player, team mates included as per duty of care owed to all players.
Itā€™s not about Maynard. He has a duty of care to his opponent in this case, He chose to protect himself at the expense of his opponent.

I am only applying the same reasoning we hear constantly from the AFL when they suspend players. Alternatives and duty of care.

Yes I am very aware that is possible when you are choosing to bump. The word being bump. Maynard was choosing to smother.

C'mon, that is a kid's argument you're making. Were his arms in the air when he made contact?

The smother was the first action, the bump was there to take if he wanted it, and he did. Drove right through the guy.

How many big hits have we seen like this, in a game where guys run and jump in front of the kicker dozens of times each week?

If what you're saying was remotely true, this argument would be all over big footy every week.

It's not for a really clear reason.

Last edited:
Not when he turned sideways and delivered the hit. The smother was the first action, the bump was there to take if he wanted it, and did.

How many big hits have we seen like this, in a game where guys run and jump in front of the kicker dozens of times a week?

Consider the answer to that one, and you'll realize what happened even if you don't agree the guy can think on the spot the way he did.
Maynard canā€™t change direction once in the air and Brayshaw ran straight at him. It was a smother attempt, see ball stop ball, no ill intent. Punish the action not the outcome.

No, Iā€™m saying that when youā€™re in mid-air that itā€™s probably unlikely to make precise judgements in fractions of seconds. Itā€™s a contact sport - accidents happen. The longer and longer we treat anyone getting hurt as only the blame of the person who hit them then the sport will become less and less enjoyable i.e. the Sicily suspension.

Ned I love your posting here. But you're speaking as though the guy teleported in from a supermarket and didn't know what was going on around him. An athlete has a really good idea of the outcome when he leaves the ground and drives his weight through a smaller opponent.

His first aim was to smothe and no-one is arguing against that, But in a split second he decided to bump as well. It's a big final, and he figured why not take the hit as well at a guess.

I'd love to hear a really flippant, not TV version of a player explaining this. So many people undersell how good elite athletes are at controlling their body. They're reading what goes around them a few steps ahead of everyone else too. It's what makes them elite athletes.

Maynard canā€™t change direction once in the air and Brayshaw ran straight at him. It was a smother attempt, see ball stop ball, no ill intent. Punish the action not the outcome.

Mate, this is a really basic concept: did the guy land on Brayshaw with his arms fully extended and the rest of his body flattened right out like he was making a smother?

No. He was tucked up and smashed him with the form of someone delivering a hit.

It's that simple.

Last edited:
Was there tonight and it was one of the loudest games Iā€™ve been to in a long time. Certainly when blues kicked a goal was deafening. Iā€™d say they had 85 of 92k.

No doubt the place was full of Carlton fans. Was in N30 and my friend who follows Carlton also thought it was quiet given the size of the crowd. Maybe weā€™re just deaf.

Goes to show you donā€™t need great tall forwards to be competitive in finals. Only Carlton so far have any good ones. We need to just find one or 2 smalls who can provide constant pressure

I thought McLean was fantastic, best big man on the groundā€¦ if he played for Melbourne they win last night. Thought McCartin was really good down back for Sydney also.

We definitely need to get much better at applying pressure on the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought McLean was fantastic, best big man on the groundā€¦ if he played for Melbourne they win last night. Thought McCartin was really good down back for Sydney also.

We definitely need to get much better at applying pressure on the opposition.

We donā€™t have those Rioli and Poppy types in the forward line either where players weā€™re worried running the ball out just knowing they were around made players nervous.

Only pic necessary. Didn't at all choose to bump. He's in the air, full stretch attempting to smother.

''If you choose to bump etc.....'' Well he hasn't done that. If anything it's Brayshaw's momentum that takes him in to Maynard. And despite the injury to Brayshaw, the moment of impact sends Maynard sprawling further than Brayshaw.

His first aim was to smothe and no-one is arguing against that, But in a split second he decided to bump as well. It's a big final, and he figured why not take the hit as well at a guess.

From the time he leaves the ground to the time he makes contact is 2 seconds roughly on video - I genuinely donā€™t believe he has the time to realise heā€™s not going to smother it so to change his entire tactic and lay out a player in some sinister plot. Jason Dunstall, Kane Cornes, Dangerflog, Jimmy Bartel are among just some of the players who agree it was a footy incident that went wrong from a genuine smother attempt - something tells me the former players have a pretty good idea of a playerā€™s ability to change their entire motive when in mid-air.

This has gone to the tribunal for the sake of clear process and decision making, surely.

There is no way he gets weeks for that. Accident, move on. Iā€™d bet my last dollar.

The media circus is going to be unbearable

This has gone to the tribunal for the sake of clear process and decision making, surely.

There is no way he gets weeks for that. Accident, move on. Iā€™d bet my last dollar.

The media circus is going to be unbearable
Its gone there due to the rating of the incident being above the threshold for the mro to prescribe a penalty. He is facing 3+ weeks. The afl intervened here to ensure it was graded in this way.

Its gone there due to the rating of the incident being above the threshold for the mro to prescribe a penalty. He is facing 3+ weeks. The afl intervened here to ensure it was graded in this way.
Yes but ā€¦ it was graded careless so this grading could be tested and decided at the tribunal. There would have been uproar if dismissed at the MRO stage.

He will get off, nothing surer.

Ned I love your posting here. But you're speaking as though the guy teleported in from a supermarket and didn't know what was going on around him. An athlete has a really good idea of the outcome when he leaves the ground and drives his weight through a smaller opponent.

I'd love to hear a really flippant, not TV version of a player explaining this. So many people undersell how good elite athletes are at controlling their body. They're reading what goes around them a few steps ahead of everyone else too. It's what makes them elite athletes.
Yep we see guys all game making split decisions, twisting bodies in marking contests and tackles but suddenly when they get to the tribunal they become uncoordinated?

From the time he leaves the ground to the time he makes contact is 2 seconds roughly on video - I genuinely donā€™t believe he has the time to realise heā€™s not going to smother it so to change his entire tactic and lay out a player in some sinister plot. Jason Dunstall, Kane Cornes, Dangerflog, Jimmy Bartel are among just some of the players who agree it was a footy incident that went wrong from a genuine smother attempt - something tells me the former players have a pretty good idea of a playerā€™s ability to change their entire motive when in mid-air.

You've hit on a real issue with the entire problem with the tribunal and interpretations from people with football backgrounds. This is where there is a lack of consistency and use of general opinion. The tribunal needs an overhaul in a big way. One way is to make the rules clearer and set making interpretation easier and clearer for all. The other is to get rid of all the old grunge headed ex footballers who have programmed thinking based on their own life long experience and perception of the game. I have said before, the game has changed and it needs to (this includes future legal exposures) but we have all these old ex footballers running it. So, the other way to fix things is to get rid of that thinking and put some new people in place and not necessarily with football experience. A different way of looking at things. I will be surprised if Christian is still there next year.

Canā€™t believe the same people who were in disbelief (all of us) about Sicily getting 3 weeks are in shock about Maynard possibly getting the same.

Iā€™m sorry but if Iā€™m about to have contact with an on coming object, my first thought would be to extend my arms forward and try to deflect and soften the contact. Not tuck in and drop the shoulder.
The guy meant it. This is Maynard we are talking about.
3-4 weeks.

If you run directly at someone then jump where do you expect to land? Is it reasonable to think the force of the smothering the ball's energy will stop you dead in your tracks?
Ok, so we can add 'smother' to the list of things one shouldn't do unless one can be absolutely sure no undue contact will eventuate in the aftermath.

Got it.

Watch out for the specky next. Careless, high contact, almost every occasion...Sorry, Jeremy Howe, where else did you think your knees were going to hit him when you jumped that high? Three weeks for you...

This game is in good hands when the AFL can start creating this ****ing mess, and so many are willing to go along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back