No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Holmes is one of those guys who could be the best player in the comp some day but he is genuinely the only gun they've got. Miers is very good but he needs the players to kick to. The rest I don't think would get a game for us, maybe SDK if he can get back to his 2022 form.
Agree re Holmes. I actually thought SDK had a very good game. Was beaten by big bro, who is one of the best in the comp ATM. SDK may have found his role as a ruckman ruck. His agility and ability to jump will worry Meek IMO

Cats have some serious gaps now which is great to see. Their older players were good in their prime and may still have the odd top game over the next year or two, but the decline comes quickly. Have we seen Hawkins last game last night?

I hate Geelong as much as most but to see an injury potentially end Tom Hawkins career is a terrible thing. By all reports he is a great bloke and apart from his cheeky ‘in the back out of the ruck’ goals (had to take a dig somewhere) he has had a good career.
I so wanted to hate him and then heard him speak in the media, especially around when his mum died. He's a decent human.

Reckon teams bring legends like Diesel back into the fray when they are in Carlton's position. I think it helps with giving a sense of a higher mission and a connection to a club's successful era. Noticed it a bit in American sport in recent years.
isn't diesel on the board or employed at the club?

Clark is a battler and Smith can chop it up too (he's still damaging at least), but I disagree regarding Holmes, I think he's a good kick.

Holmes is 21 and is averaging 25.5 touches, nearly 600m gained and has kicked 10 goals this season, whilst not playing exclusively as a midfielder this season. He's having an awesome season for someone that young.
I’m not saying Holmes isn’t a good player. He certainly is.

He’s just a really poor kick. He’s similar to Danger where he boots the ball as far as he can when he gets the ball. In Holmes’ case it’s mainly because he mostly struggles to hit short targets.

Over long distance he can roughly get it where he wants it.

I so wanted to hate him and then heard him speak in the media, especially around when his mum died. He's a decent human.
People may not like them on field but Hawkins and Selwood are the two most generous people you will meet .
Selwood does a heap of community stuff that people never hear about .
Hawkins is just a good fella , deserves a medal for belting Rohan too

Yeah I don't like Hawkins the player but I have a lot of respect for Hawkins the human.

Whatley, Hodge on crunch time going all out to get Dangerfield off..
I don't think this is Geelong favouritism it was genuinely just a good tackle. Textbook, very Cyril-like - watching it back I don't understand how Walsh fell like that, feels like he threw himself forward to try to draw an ITB free and ended up doing most of it to himself.

We have a chance to finally nail the door shut on their era.

2007-2024.

Time to bury them
That would be glorious.
It would be a generational thing. Fans growing up in the 80's would hate Essendon and Carlton the most. The younger generation of Hawks fans would have grown up hating Geelong and Sydney more.
I attended the match in the 1960's when Carlton kicked 30.30.210 against us, I think it was the highest score ever kicked at that time. My young brain development was forever molded to hate Carlton, however their decline into irrelevancy over time has cushioned the effect.

I have enjoyed the Geelong and Sydney rivalry in later years, especially the fact we were better than them. I always get a giggle how Geelong supporters try to work out some way they were better than us around the threepeat period.

Essendon, well that's a different matter. Drug addled spawn of the devil......

It would be a generational thing. Fans growing up in the 80's would hate Essendon and Carlton the most. The younger generation of Hawks fans would have grown up hating Geelong and Sydney more.
Maybe but no other teams coach has accused us of cheating at half time (ironic i know) Which incensed Allan Jean's a former cop. A straight down the line kinda guy. He brought the players together and we went out and flogged them in the second half even though a few were sick. Jeans never spoke to sheedy after that and as any hawthorn supporter will tell u the hatred just grew from there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toby Greene and Sic get 3 weeks for that, the Carlton bloke will be lucky if he does not get a week.

Burgoyne got off for similar tackle on dangerfield as it happened. But ther was a bit of an outcry and it was suppodedly tightened after that. Burgoyne was reported, danger was not but both free kicks for dangerous

Sicily on mcluggage which wasn’t a free or a report did Sicily get htb? Sicily had less influence on the outcome of the tackle
Sicily 3 weeks

13B0B21C-62DD-4B49-B3CD-A13A7C62FEB2.jpeg

Maybe but no other teams coach has accused us of cheating at half time (ironic i know) Which incensed Allan Jean's a former cop. A straight down the line kinda guy. He brought the players together and we went out and flogged them in the second half even though a few were sick. Jeans never spoke to speedy after that and as any hawthorn supporter will tell u the hatred just grew from there

They say they wouldn’t even speak to them when playing for big v

Maybe but no other teams coach has accused us of cheating at half time (ironic i know) Which incensed Allan Jean's a former cop. A straight down the line kinda guy. He brought the players together and we went out and flogged them in the second half even though a few were sick. Jeans never spoke to sheedy after that and as any hawthorn supporter will tell u the hatred just grew from there
I was very young when this happened but it's number 1 reason why they are my most dislike club .....and will continue to be

Fair enough.

I don't really understand how Walsh's head managed to hit the ground in that tackle.
I agree. It looked so strange.

Danger pinned the arms but seemed to be sliding to the deck and trying to hold Walsh pretty still. He certainly didn’t sling him or drive his head into the ground.

Not saying Sam tried to draw the free either.

Could be worth a week.

“Threat Rating”?

Talk about jumping the shark.

Some people have way too much time on their hands.
Maybe you should have read what it meant?

It's absolutely a generational thing. The older generation's favourite players would be guys like Matthews, Knights and Hudson, whilst supporters growing up watching us win four flags would have Hodge, Rioli, etc. as theirs. It's the same thing.

I hate Essendon because my dad told me to, and because of the line-in-the-sand game, not because of the 80's. I want to beat Geelong more than any other side because I lived through the rivalry.

It's absolutely a generational thing. The older generation's favourite players would be guys like Matthews, Knights and Hudson, whilst supporters growing up watching us win four flags would have Hodge, Rioli, etc. as theirs. It's the same thing.

I hate Essendon because my dad told me to, and because of the line-in-the-sand game, not because of the 80's. I want to beat Geelong more than any other side because I lived through the rivalry.
I understand mate. I think we all know there is an edge when we play the bombers. Has been for a long time. It's as u say indoctrinated

There’s only one answer to this and it’s not the drug pigs.

There should be an option to choose a highly-localised lightning storm or a very specific gastro-enteritis outbreak that decimates all the players during the game. Or both.

Dump some sharks from helicopters as well, if needed. Just to make sure.

Don't think there's anything in that Danger tackle.

However, it's pretty piss poor that the AFL continuously let Chris Scott give his bullshit justifications to get a player off. He should STFU and not comment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back