No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

The Geelong midfield is so bad I am positive they will come with a godfather offer for Worps.

He ticks all the boxes for them. A hard at it, proven midfielder in his prime who is also a Bellarine boy.

I have no inside knowledge but it seems an obvious play for them to make.

I’m pretty sure Worps will stay though, Sam loves him and he looks very happy in his current role.
He’d be crazy to go- finally got a great developing midfield around him after doing the hard yards here for years…

Geelong are on the decline - he’d be trying to carry their midfield almost single handedly

Last edited:

I hate Geelong as much as most but to see an injury potentially end Tom Hawkins career is a terrible thing. By all reports he is a great bloke and apart from his cheeky ‘in the back out of the ruck’ goals (had to take a dig somewhere) he has had a good career.
Hope he can get back and kick the 4 goals needed to make 800 goals, been amazing career after his slow start.

To be fair I reckon they’re not far off it with jhye clark - early days but he’s a worry
20 disposals at 40% disposal efficiency - ouch. Probably worst of all, 11 of those touches were uncontested - so kicking outside to no one.

Still early days, but he has been pretty poor so far.

RE their young list - Holmes is a rock and Dempsey looks like a genuine find, SDK will be good player going forward (he's still super young for a key position/ruck) & Ollie Henry will be good, despite being a bit of a prat. Miers and Henry are good players, but aren't young young anymore - being around 25/26 now.

You'd expect a few older players to start falling off their list in droves in the next 2 years, and if Stengle leaves too, that's a lot of holes they will need to start finding players for. That and they have yet to solve their growing midfield issue - although Holmes into their midfield has at least balanced it out a little.

Last edited:
He’d be crazy to go- finally got a great developing midfield around him after doing the hard yards here for years…

Geelong are on the decline - he’d be trying to carry their midfield almost single handedly
That’s why they will come with a godfather type offer. Say $800k a year for 7 years or something similar.

Personally I think he will stay at the Hawks though, but if the offer is big enough it will be hard for him to knock back (especially being a local boy from down that way).

We need to roll the cats in a few weeks on their shit paddock, then Smith surely picks us

Despite their form, Cats are bloody hard to beat on their home deck. I feel a lot are underplaying how crap it is to play away there.

Since 2010, their win rate at GMHBA is nigh on 86%, which is bonkers (although, 2nd best home ground is us at UTAS, so goes in roundabouts)

This year, Cats are 3 wins & 2 losses at GMHBA, so odds say they start to win more at home. That being said, Cats are starting to look near their worst since 2010, so hopefully we can be the statistical anomaly to break their home dominance.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate Geelong as much as most but to see an injury potentially end Tom Hawkins career is a terrible thing. By all reports he is a great bloke and apart from his cheeky ‘in the back out of the ruck’ goals (had to take a dig somewhere) he has had a good career.

He is a quality individual. One of the good guys.

Also rumoured to have clocked Gary Rohan after he decided to take off with the physio. Have to restepc that

The Geelong midfield is so bad I am positive they will come with a godfather offer for Worps.

He ticks all the boxes for them. A hard at it, proven midfielder in his prime who is also a Bellarine boy.

I have no inside knowledge but it seems an obvious play for them to make.

I’m pretty sure Worps will stay though, Sam loves him and he looks very happy in his current role.

Smith and Holmes would be a great start to a rebuilding midfield, providing dash, skill and pace with Bruhn and Clark supporting them as good honest contested midfielders. They will need a few more players to compliment them though.

This is an interesting stat:
1718979029601.png

Good to see Conor Nash in the list.

Smith and Holmes would be a great start to a rebuilding midfield, providing dash, skill and pace with Bruhn and Clark supporting them as good honest contested midfielders. They will need a few more players to compliment them though.
Not sure about Smith or Holmes providing much skill in the kicking aspect of the game. Both are very poor kicks of the ball. Add in Clark being a butcher and you have a midfield that won’t hit many targets going inside 50.

Tough decisions again next week. To barrack for Geelong or the Dons?
There’s only one answer to this and it’s not the drug pigs.

Not sure about Smith or Holmes providing much skill in the kicking aspect of the game. Both are very poor kicks of the ball. Add in Clark being a butcher and you have a midfield that won’t hit many targets going inside 50.

Clark is a battler and Smith can chop it up too (he's still damaging at least), but I disagree regarding Holmes, I think he's a good kick.

Holmes is 21 and is averaging 25.5 touches, nearly 600m gained and has kicked 10 goals this season, whilst not playing exclusively as a midfielder this season. He's having an awesome season for someone that young.

Joel Selwood is painfully bad in front of camera. The little kid had more personality. Just because you played footy doesn’t mean you should get to commentate it.

He tries hard and seems to be a decent good natured personality on-screen, but he's just a bit dim and boring, isn't he?

He fumbles over words and sometimes just waffles on but is saying nothing of value.

20 disposals at 40% disposal efficiency - ouch. Probably worst of all, 11 of those touches were uncontested - so kicking outside to no one.

Still early days, but he has been pretty poor so far.

RE their young list - Holmes is a rock and Dempsey looks like a genuine find, SDK will be good player going forward (he's still super young for a key position/ruck) & Ollie Henry will be good, despite being a bit of a prat. Miers and Henry are good players, but aren't young young anymore - being around 25/26 now.

You'd expect a few older players to start falling off their list in droves in the next 2 years, and if Stengle leaves too, that's a lot of holes they will need to start finding players for. That and they have yet to solve their growing midfield issue - although Holmes into their midfield has at least balanced it out a little.
Henry is a talented 3rd tall floater who has zero work rate when it is working for the team .
Think he is cream on the cake not the type you can really build around .

Henry is a talented 3rd tall floater who has zero work rate when it is working for the team .
Think he is cream on the cake not the type you can really build around .

GWS has a utility I’d like at the hawks…. A defender that is given kick out duties at VFL level… tall… good on both feet.. and a good mark.

Looked similar to what Croad did in the 2008 Grand Final. He went down without being touched, came off the field proppy after looking down and holding his foot. Ended the night on crutches.

Didn't Croad go into the GF with a foot injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back