No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wildcard works in NFL due to there being 32 teams , 8 divisions and two conferences .

It basically protects against too many 'bad teams' winning a poor division getting into playoffs while a good team in strong division misses .

Not sure an 18 team comp with a final 8 really needs it but ......$$$$$$$
Clearly not a popular opinion, but I'll zag for a second and say that I'm open-minded to it.

Couple of reasons. Firstly, I don't think this year is an anomaly, equalisation is having its desired effect, and the difference between first and 10th on the ladder will continue to shrink. Moving forward, I don't think we'll have too many dud teams finishing in the top 10.

Secondly, 19 teams in the comp will eventually be 20, that's a lot of teams not winning a flag each year. In theory, that's 1 every 20 years. We no longer have a preseason comp that means anything, or any other meaningful thing to play for. What else is there? Way more meaningful to play a huge game that may or may not get you into the next phase of the finals.

I also think it will put an absolute premium on being in the top 6. Would be very hard to win it from 7-10. The conversation around top 6 will grow in stature.

And last, but my main (selfish) reason relates to the fact I bloody hate the pre finals bye and it would be great to have some footy that weekend that had real stakes on the line.

Starting to look like that Clarkson and Russell were very fortunate to have a list full of generational stars. Right time right place.
umm in no world can you argue that the coach wasn't responsible for our success. The way we played, structured up defensively and offensively was all Clarkson. In fact, he had an inferior side in 2008 in terms of experience and talent and still got them over the line. It's what made him a great coach. His time may have passed now but he is one of the greats and will go down as such.

umm in no world can you argue that the coach wasn't responsible for our success. The way we played, structured up defensively and offensively was all Clarkson. In fact, he had an inferior side in 2008 in terms of experience and talent and still got them over the line. It's what made him a great coach. His time may have passed now but he is one of the greats and will go down as such.
I agree he was great at putting the system in place that no matter who wasn’t available another soldier jumped straight in, but he sure had some elite talent to tinker with.

I agree he was great at putting the system in place that no matter who wasn’t available another soldier jumped straight in, but he sure had some elite talent to tinker with.
He used the talents of the side and brought out the best in them. We had our struggles earlier on with some of our stars. Hodgey was not fit and again in 2012. It's the right kind of coach that can rekindle the flame to go on year after year. Yes we had some stars no doubt we also lost one of our best in Franklin but it never broke our stride in fact it probably made us better.

The idea of a wild card round into finals is the stupidest idea the stupid morons at AFL house have come up with since their stupid AFL X idea.

Corporate partners love it. It means more money. More sponsors. More ads to be sold. More merch to mark the occasion.

It is a great idea

wall street top 100 movie quotes GIF

I think headed for 20 teams, having an 8 team finals system will kill too many seasons too early and blunt interest.

NBA fans were very skeptical of the play-in tournament (same concept, same arguments against) but now it's embraced after producing some very memorable games and runs.

When Thursday footy started there was a big pushback. Same arguments that it's overly American, squeezing money out etc. Now you're more likely to hear people disappointed there's no footy on a Thursday. tbh the same arguments were made just moving from most games all being played at the same time on Saturdays.

Once people are exposed to a few more games of closely matched high-stakes footy, people will turn. There won't be any reminiscing about the sanctity of the final 8 and the bye.

Keeps a few more fan bases from completely dropping out from rounds 13-17ish. I'm all for it.

I think headed for 20 teams, having an 8 team finals system will kill too many seasons too early and blunt interest.

NBA fans were very skeptical of the play-in tournament (same concept, same arguments against) but now it's embraced after producing some very memorable games and runs.

When Thursday footy started there was a big pushback. Same arguments that it's overly American, squeezing money out etc. Now you're more likely to hear people disappointed there's no footy on a Thursday. tbh the same arguments were made just moving from most games all being played at the same time on Saturdays.

Once people are exposed to a few more games of closely matched high-stakes footy, people will turn. There won't be any reminiscing about the sanctity of the final 8 and the bye.

Keeps a few more fan bases from completely dropping out from rounds 13-17ish. I'm all for it.

With three rounds to go there isn't a set spot in the top 8 with teams down to 12th still in it. Why don't we just make the finals 24 weeks with vanquished teams able to wild card back in all the time. Even with 20 teams 8 finalists are fine.

The comparison to Thursday night footy is weird - I love Thursday night footy - just spaces out the round. It has nothing in common with having wild cards for teams not good enough to make finals

I am old school. What would be wrong with a 20 game season - play each other once and 1 derby/special game every year for everyone.

A lot more fairnes in the FIXture as it gives the AFL less opportunity to manaufacture outcomes and less dross at the end of the year (as has been the case for many seasons prior).

Less contrived, the better.

So clubs are no longer saying "managed" or "omitted" in team lists?
I agree with that tbh, you're out, you're out, the insiders would know the real reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So clubs are no longer saying "managed" or "omitted" in team lists?
I agree with that tbh, you're out, you're out, the insiders would know the real reasons.

Not sure where this comment is coming from, I haven't seen any change to the way selections are announced.

In: Cam Mackenzie
Out: Josh Ward (omitted)

‘Due diligence’ aka we saw how many members were vocally letting us know they’d torch their membership if we recruit this campaigner.

Still waiting for the AFL to show leadership and publicly state he won’t have a contract registered.

Also to come in and remove players, and trade them out for a high price was what initially set the club up. Similar to Mitchell getting rid of Tom and O’Mearea

We would never get that free kick after a goal is scored no matter how many times Ginnivan or Watson get bowled over
That action had absolutely no “interpretations” to it. Elliott had his back turned, Blakey cannons into him. Ginnivan had EXACTLY the same thing happen to him. Nada.

Game after game, year after year, it gets worse.

PS. Love the celebration after the Quaynor goal. Where’d they get that from ?

Swans are the worst team in it. (In the entire competition.) But I must say, watching daicos hold a bloke without the ball give away the free kick and then walk backwards asking for the ball as though he is entitled to the free, is very entertaining.

Give me Chad Warner or I’ll ****en’ riot.

Haha, showing Daicos highlights at half time and showed every kick he had but cut before it reached its destination, because none of them did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back