No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not in either camp, but in those frames it appears to me he is launching from a position that is perfect for the shirtfront. He hasn’t jumped straight up front on. His body appears to be starting to rotate to the side. Maybe have a foot in each camp, smother and bump (brace for contact)
Quite common for someone attempting to smother to turn slightly to protect their face and/or jewels.

Edit: Or to even get more height to get touch on the ball.

‘Somewhat unconventional’ is referring to Brayshaw kicking across his body, which is not a conventional kick and is only noticeable in his action after Maynard has left the ground as shown in your evidence. If only Maynard had of asked Brayshaw exactly how he intended to kick the ball this whole incident could have been avoided.
Its conventional for long kicks.

Took me only a few seconds to find a ramdom no name player doing it.
1694680603390.jpeg

Here is a slightly more well know hawk doing it.
1694680656056.png

Lots of examples in this video

And this one

As a right footer kicking towards your left you will fall a little to your right. That is what happened and its normal. Edit: talking about where the leg goes not the ball.

Maynard doesnt jump until after brayshaw is in the act of kicking.

View attachment 1802787
View attachment 1802791
View attachment 1802796

The problem I have here, is that Brayshaw sees Maynard, well before these frames. And well before these frames, Maynard starts running towards him.

Maynard is nearly on top of him, so rather than look ahead, Brayshaw drops his head and does a weird drop punt, where he's basically going to end up falling to the ground?

The whole play from Brayshaw is weird to me. And I would've done the exact same thing in that instance as Maynard; as soon as Brayshaw kicks would've jumped up to affect the kick, which is what Maynard did by actually touching the ball.

View attachment 1802863

View attachment 1802864

And this one

Those kicks look nothing like Brayshaw's. Those kicks are balanced kicks, Brayshaw is falling to the ground and off balance in a major way.

As a right footer kicking towards your left you will fall a little to your right. That is what happened and its normal. Edit: talking about where the leg goes not the ball.

View attachment 1802787
View attachment 1802791
View attachment 1802796

View attachment 1802787
View attachment 1802791
View attachment 1802796
Those three frames look OK as far as Maynard spoil goes. However from then on he turns his shoulder which he didn't have to do. To me this was a good old-fashion shirt-front that Dermie would have been proud of.

Last edited:

View attachment 1802863

View attachment 1802864

And this one

If you are that clever then why has your shitty argument gone on for so long? Also maybe you can see how quickly you can find the names of AFL players that can read minds, if Maynard’s name pops up in that one then I guess he knew before he left the ground exactly the type of kick and direction it would send Brayshaw and he is in fact guilty.

Sometimes we just argue for arguments sake. This one is done my friend, Maynard unintentionally collided with Brayshaw and got the appropriate punishment for the incident. We should not be punishing football actions, for the sake of the game.

I’m not in either camp, but in those frames it appears to me he is launching from a position that is perfect for the shirtfront. He hasn’t jumped straight up front on. His body appears to be starting to rotate to the side. Maybe have a foot in each camp, smother and bump (brace for contact)
I think he was trying to put brayshaw off his kick by jumping towards him. Ive nver seen someone trying to smother a kick and end up 🆙 n someone’s head. It doesnt happen because the ball starts low and players usually towards where the ball is going to be as it passes them, not towards where it is being kicked from.

The yellow is roughly the kind of direction you would expect maynard to go for a smother. He starts on brayshaw’s right so if he is trying to intercept the ball in flight his angle should take him to brayshaw’s left. Yet, even accounting for brayshaw’s slight movement to his right, Maynard is never going to intercept the ball and almost certainly clips him on brayshaw’s right side. I dont see a safe landing zone suddenly disappear, he is always on a collision course of some kind. And he would have landed well past brayshaw, which is weird if you are going for the ball.

1694681776612.jpeg

If you are that clever then why has your shitty argument gone on for so long? Also maybe you can see how quickly you can find the names of AFL players that can read minds, if Maynard’s name pops up in that one then I guess he knew before he left the ground exactly the type of kick and direction it would send Brayshaw and he is in fact guilty.

Sometimes we just argue for arguments sake. This one is done my friend, Maynard unintentionally collided with Brayshaw and got the appropriate punishment for the incident. We should not be punishing football actions, for the sake of the game.
Dont need to be a mind reader to know that if you jump towards a player kicking the ball there is a chance you collide with them. 🤷‍♂️ show me one other smother attempt where the person jumps at the player kicking and lands behind the kicker without hitting their opponent.

Actually, while maynard is free to play, the issue will be reviewed by the afl.

Last edited:
Dont need to be a mind reader to know that if you jump towards a player kicking the ball there is a chance you collide with them. 🤷‍♂️ show me one other smother attempt where the person jumps at the player kicking and lands behind the kicker without hitting their opponent.

Actually, while maynard is free to play, the issue will be reviewed by the afl.

Did Maynard jump at Brayshaw? Because it wasn’t long ago Brayshaw’s choice of kick made him steer right, the choice of kick that Maynard could not have seen in the action until he was in the air.
If Maynard jumped towards Brayshaw wouldn’t it make it so Brayshaw would end up to Maynard’s left and maybe only clip an arm or shoulder?

Did Maynard jump at Brayshaw? Because it wasn’t long ago Brayshaw’s choice of kick made him steer right, the choice of kick that Maynard could not have seen in the action until he was in the air.
If Maynard jumped towards Brayshaw wouldn’t it make it so Brayshaw would end up to Maynard’s left and maybe only clip an arm or shoulder?
This is the moment maynard launches.
1694683521430.png
This is the moment when brayshaw lands. Note, maynard is now inline with the centre circle where he starts outside the line of it. Brayshaw hasnt yet take a post kick step and yet its obvious there is going to be a collision. Maynard isnt moving straight away from camera he is on a course to collide with brayshaw even if it may not have ended in a collision with brayshaw’s head. There was always going to be contact.

1694683388881.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1802920
This is the moment when brayshaw lands. Note, maynard is now inline with the centre circle where he starts outside the line of it. Brayshaw hasnt yet take a post kick step and yet its obvious there is going to be a collision. Maynard isnt moving straight away from camera he is on a course to collide with brayshaw even if it may not have ended in a collision with brayshaw’s head. There was always going to be contact.

View attachment 1802918
Maynard’s right arm position at impact suggests to me there was no intent to cause maximum damage. If it was in a flexed position he would already be in Bali.

View attachment 1802920

View attachment 1802918
Yep, looks as though he is kicking straight and about to follow through, the one that you left out is the part where the ‘straight’ kick changes to go across his body sending Brayshaw to his right and into Maynard. Why did you leave the middle frame out?

Also note that Brayshaw moves further to his right than Maynard to his left.

No one was going directly at anyone else until the smother and the kick changed their directions.

What do we have here? A football action that should not be punished! Huzzah!

It's interesting, after thinking about this a bit more.

In soccer they don't say 'well, he was attempting to tackle him' if they slide tackle and get them late, they get penalised for not timing it correctly. Same as most sports... if you execute well, such as a tackle in rugby, or hit in NFL, it's fair game. But if you are clumsy and hurt someone, and don't pull off what you were trying to do its a free... and if its very dangerous usually a send off and/or suspension. I'm surprised the so many in the AFL is so aggressive with 'well he was trying to smother, it just happens' narrative without thinking a bit more about it.... Shouldn't you make rules so players only attempt things they feel they are capable of and if its 50/50 put the duty of care on the person making the attempt, not removing that liability because a play can claim that he really did 'try his best'....

It is like people who say foolishly, 'the bump is dead'. No, there is a time to do it if its done well, but if you do choose to take that dangerous option and stuff it up, you will go for it. I guess it is fair to ask, why should the smother be different? Maynard went for it and launched off the ground, missed, and hurt someone in the process..... But Maynard's he decided to go in the air, and I think he should live and die by the sword... he didn't get the smother which was his choice to go for it in that aggressive way, and knocked out a player who missed the game and the following week.

If you are that clever then why has your shitty argument gone on for so long?

Which argument? He’s done his usual jump from one argument to another once his original has become untenable.

He has a SC representing him, of course he’s going to talk like that.

Whether he has an SC representing or not, the “football act” was a smother and that makes more sense than the words uttered

It’s a joke that a game of football has evolved into lawyer speak when facing a tribunal

Whether he has an SC representing or not, the “football act” was a smother and that makes more sense than the words uttered

It’s a joke that a game of football has evolved into lawyer speak when facing a tribunal

Not sure it’s an evolution to be honest - QCs/SCs have been representing players at tribunals for decades and have likely been coaching them to talk legalese for just as long. Absolute agree it sounds bizarrely unnatural.

What about if the player smoothing is a smooth operator?

Probably get double-stacked and put on the wrong tyre.

ferrari-is-finally-back-v0-qqtozazxlyab1.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back