No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

If BT gets the sack, I'm shouting everyone on this forum a drink*

*not strictly true

You deserve a Westend for that…😂

BT being gone is reward enough. I’m old enough when they had Sandy Roberts, Bruce McAveny and Dennis Commetti doing the commentary, with Don Scott as a ‘Special” commentator. Unfortunately they don’t have many (if any) play by play commentators, it’s just a boys club wank fest with older players.

The Gabba surface is even more deplorable than the Lions’ finishing. How this city is hosting an Olympic Games in under a decade is beyond me - both their major stadiums have deplorable surfaces.

The infrastructure to the stadiums also isn’t ready. Metricon is a terrible place to get to and get out of.

The infrastructure to the stadiums also isn’t ready. Metricon is a terrible place to get to and get out of.

The proposed athletics venue at QSAC is even worse for transport links. Back when the Broncos played there you had to park at a shopping centre 2km away and then catch a shuttle bus to the stadium or walk. The only public transport to that area is a bus - there’s no rail whatsoever. It’s not surprising that the only reason they got the games is because nobody else did - the only modern stadium there has been under water twice in the last 13 years and has a shocking playing surface. The Gabba is almost obsolete to the point that their hosting test matches is under threat presently and it’s entirely possible that within years they won’t be a test venue for 5 match series once Tassie’s new stadium gets built.

The state of the ground last night was embarrassing - being that it was only the second game played there since late May I don’t get why. Checking the weather it has only rained a couple of days in that time. The MCG has multiple games every week and yet still looks pristine week in week out.

If Brisbane wants to thump its chest because some tinpot think tank claimed they were the sporting capital not Melbourne - how about actually having venues that don’t have playing surfaces that look worse than some suburban grounds.

I feel it was the better result with Brisbane winning as if we win this weekend they are only 2 points off us in 5th, where if Melbourne won they would have been 4 points.

Might get flamed for this but why don't we have a vic metro and a vic country in the state of origin? I know it's called "state" of origin but splitting Victoria like in the 18s comp could make it a lot fairer and more competitive.
The AFLPA / players aren’t interested.

You can’t force players to play an exhibition game they don’t want to play can you?

The European football comps don’t have an all-stars concept and don’t seem to struggle as a result. The majority of all-star games in the US, particularly the NBA, are nothing more than a gimmick rather than a meaningful contest. State of Origin in the NRL isn’t an all star concept either it’s just QLD v NSW and a fair proportion of players who have international allegiance are watching on.

If the sport wants to try anything again I would prefer the International Rules concept be revived. Again though - the players don’t seem to care so it is a bit of a non starter.
I don't get that. The players can literally represent their country in World Cups and the regional championships. It doesn't get much bigger than that.

On Pixel 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

If BT gets the sack, I'm shouting everyone on this forum a drink*

*not strictly true
It can be rendered true by literally shouting those words (EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM A DRINK!)

Thought they played well. Their pressure was elite.
Outside of that 20 minute period in the 2nd, when they were on fire, they were outplayed. Yes, their pressure was elite but it still couldn't prevent the Lions storming home. Let's not forget some of the absolute trash the Lions served up either in the last quarter - Hipwood not hitting a handball to an open man in the square, Charlie dropping a sitter just outside the square.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get that. The players can literally represent their country in World Cups and the regional championships. It doesn't get much bigger than that.

On Pixel 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s not an all star game. Its not the best 22 players in the world. The World Cup is also never the very best teams in the world - the qualification process almost always throws in a handful of lowly ranked teams that make it at the expense of quality outfits that should be there. There’s plenty of sports that don’t have ‘best vs the best’ matches behind Aussie Rules.

The Gabba surface is even more deplorable than the Lions’ finishing. How this city is hosting an Olympic Games in under a decade is beyond me - both their major stadiums have deplorable surfaces.
It's a joke, should of gone ahead with the building of a new stadium which was proposed at Victoria Park and which would of also made a great AFL venue. But instead with the current economic conditions and an election fast approaching, no one has the balls to do any forward thinking so it's all being done on the cheap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back