No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swans, Brisbane and the Doggies (if they make it) are the only legit chances. The rest of the top 8 are pretenders.
I see what you did there. Leaving sides that aren't currently in the top 8 out of your analysis ;)

I thought early in the season during our scratch match against the doggies and commented somewhere here that they look primed to at last play the way their list is looking!! But I went quiet on them after some horrendous performances in the first 8-10 weeks but man, if they get their shit together just before finals, they could do some damage. Still think the Swans will come good once finals come around though. Lions will be in the GF if they finish top 2 and then their time for redemption begins. 3 teams that I think that are highly likely to go deep.

Our bottom 6 is easily better than Carlton's imo.

Their bottom six is pretty terrible.

Their side is completely propped up by their elite top several players. Guys like Owies, Fogarty, Cunningham, Motlop, Carroll, Cottrell or Cowan would not be getting a game for us.

Though to be fair they were missing Docherty, Williams, Acres, TDK and McKay. Not sure you can count Martin or Silvagni as real outs, but they are depth options at least.

They really lack pace throughout their lineup. Saad is the only one that can really stream past opponents and break lines.

They’re teetering, Carlton. Too many injuries at the wrong time of year. They’re no certainties for top 4 now, they’ve won 12 and 15 wins seems difficult all of a sudden. Heck, with four games left for them to play, they’re no certainties to win the two they need to stay in the 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was watching last night thinking we'd slaughter Carlton if they dish that up at the G in 2 weeks.

Some sides are looking tired in this stretch before the finals, while we are still looking powerful with our running. This is why I strongly believe Ward and Maginness coming in now has been excellent management and planning, keeping our elite run strong while many sides are struggling with injuries, sore bodies etc. It could be a competitive advantage to cover over some of our other deficiencies.

Geez what a season.

Sydney peaked too early - they looked amazing but have lost 3 of their last 4 (win was north)
Carlton have lost 3 of their last 4. They beat North tho
Essendon dropping like a rock. Have also lost 4 of their last 5

Brisbane having a great run - won 8 of their last 9. Have only lost one game since Anzac Day.
Bulldogs have won 4 of their last 5
Hawks have won 7 of their last 8

Then there's a soup of teams that are hot and cold: Port, Freo, Melbourne, Geelong.

So it's hard to tell how much that first group will drop, and how much that second group will rise and what those inconsistent teams do from here.

I would absolutely love to see Essendon lose to St Kilda. I hate both teams with a fair level of passion. But St Kilda aren't a threat and I would take much more joy from yet another Essendon fail. Fingers crossed for that one.

Some sides are looking tired in this stretch before the finals, while we are still looking powerful with our running. This is why I strongly believe Ward and Maginness coming in now has been excellent management and planning, keeping our elite run strong while many sides are struggling with injuries, sore bodies etc. It could be a competitive advantage to cover over some of our other deficiencies.

It also shows that we are building depth. We have developed players that can come in and fill spots if needed. Add in the multiple roles our players can play, it makes it a lot easier for us. It’s a great partnership between Littlejohn and Mitchell, they are developing players beautifully.

Since North had their bye they've been a lot less awful.

They had a shocker against Sydney and lost by 70+ but most of their losses either side of that have been less than 20 points. Clarko doing his end of season ramp up again. They'll get another win or two before the end of the season and definitely won't be our easiest game in the run home.

Two observations:

1. Geelong appears to have played their Grand Final against us.

2. North is showing a familiar pattern. For two years now, they are playing well in the season’s garbage time after playing so poorly when it mattered. I was tired of that pattern at Hawthorn.
They'll wilt in the 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back