No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course Sam probably didn’t say that and that has nothing to do with the point because when push comes to shove, the umpire had a direct influence on the game and potentially has influenced the results of a whole season. The last goal did not exist without the umpires influence. I’m not saying that umpires are the only influencing factor on a game, because that would be a dumb belief, but there is no way anyone can tell me that an umpire does/can NOT have an influence.

As for the highlighted part, at the end of 120 minutes we had made some mistakes but had still done enough for 4 points, but at the end of 120 minutes and 19 seconds, the umpire had too, therefore influencing the game and result.

I’m not advocating nor whinging that we lost that game, it probably did define our season BUT umpires can most certainly influence games and players/coaches most certainly do not control everything nor are always solely to blame.
Mate I am not going to argue this with u here. I will just leave u with this thought. If the umpires influence games so much to win or lose games why bother playing. Just let the umpires decide who won the game and the premiership. The influence of umpires is minuscule in comparison to the influence that the players have on the results. It always has been and always will be. To blame the results on the umpires is to take the easy way out. Players win and lose games not umpires

Mate I am not going to argue this with u here. I will just leave u with this thought. If the umpires influence games so much to win or lose games why bother playing. Just let the umpires decide who won the game and the premiership. The influence of umpires is minuscule in comparison to the influence that the players have on the results. It always has been and always will be. To blame the results on the umpires is to take the easy way out. Players win and lose games not umpires
I never said to ‘blame the umpires’, the argument is that umpires can one hundred percent influence games, and they can. Nothing outside of that. Nothing about what Sam said, amount of influence or blaming them. I’m not suggesting corruption or that they do it on purpose but both player and umpire can make influential calls.

I never said to ‘blame the umpires’, the argument is that umpires can one hundred percent influence games, and they can. Nothing outside of that. Nothing about what Sam said, amount of influence or blaming them. I’m not suggesting corruption or that they do it on purpose but both player and umpire can make influential calls.
Of course umpires influence the game. That's their job. They interpret the rules and apply the prescribed penalties and remedies. Sometimes they get it wrong. Most of the time they get it right.

I know we played some witches hats and some banged up Blues these last few weeks but watching some games over the weekend, the Hawks would absolutely cream most of the sides in the competition at the moment. The ball moment, the efficiency by hand and foot, the positioning, the run and carry, they’re in a league of their own at the moment. So desperately want to win in a fortnight so they can have another go at the Cats or Port.

This finals series needs Hawthorn badly.

I know we played some witches hats and some banged up Blues these last few weeks but watching some games over the weekend, the Hawks would absolutely cream most of the sides in the competition at the moment. The ball moment, the efficiency by hand and foot, the positioning, the run and carry, they’re in a league of their own at the moment. So desperately want to win in a fortnight so they can have another go at the Cats or Port.

This finals series needs Hawthorn badly.

I feel like this finals series would be awful as a neutral. If you replaced us with Freo I literally wouldn’t be that bothered to turn the tv on to many of the games.

I would have thought the Hawks giving up a 5/6/7 goal lead that day was the actual problem 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not even in the same league as Carlton/Richmond's
Worse. Out of sight, out of mind living here in Victoria but I’ve never been treated worse at a sporting game than by their fans. Read the sack Hinkley #35 threads on their board. They are next level feral - the types that would vote Trump if he were Australian.

But still not the argument. 🤷‍♂️
You're focusing too much on the umpiring. Umpiring needs to be thought of as chance, like the weather, the bounce of the ball. As a team we can't control the decisions we are given or not given, so what we need to do is be able to put ourselves in a position where the game cannot be influenced by chance - we didn't do that. We deserved every bit of that loss.

Worse. Out of sight, out of mind living here in Victoria but I’ve never been treated worse at a sporting game than by their fans. Read the sack Hinkley #35 threads on their board. They are next level feral - the types that would vote Trump if he were Australian.
There is context to #sackhinkley - they as a supporter base are constantly being ignored, fed a media narrative of Hinkley is a great coach, who seems to avoid the scrutiny that other coaches (Beveridge, Goodwin) get - and they both won flags..
They have no member control of their club

You're focusing too much on the umpiring. Umpiring needs to be thought of as chance, like the weather, the bounce of the ball. As a team we can't control the decisions we are given or not given, so what we need to do is be able to put ourselves in a position where the game cannot be influenced by chance - we didn't do that. We deserved every bit of that loss.
The question of the argument is: Can an umpire influence a game?

The loss was an example of an umpire influencing a game, nothing more. Whether the loss was deserved or not is irrelevant.

TFP was definite in his thinking that umpires can not influence games but for that to be the case they would have to not be on the field.

The question of the argument is: Can an umpire influence a game?

The loss was an example of an umpire influencing a game, nothing more. Whether the loss was deserved or not is irrelevant.

TFP was definite in his thinking that umpires can not influence games but for that to be the case they would have to not be on the field.
It's a pretty pedantic argument. If the umpires influence games it's outside of our control, it's chance. I know how TFP feels about the umpiring so I can pretty confidently say that though he wasn't 100% prescriptive about it, that was what he meant.

It's a pretty pedantic argument. If the umpires influence games it's outside of our control, it's chance. I know how TFP feels about the umpiring so I can pretty confidently say that though he wasn't 100% prescriptive about it, that was what he meant.
‘They do not’ in response to another poster can’t really be taken many ways.

It’s a pedantic argument because it is a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ question. Can an umpire influence a game/result?

‘They do not’ in response to another poster can’t really be taken many ways.

It’s a pedantic argument because it is a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ question. Can an umpire influence a game/result?
Talk about a loaded question.

If I say yes they can influence a result, what do you get out of it? What point are you trying to prove?

When someone posts that "umpiring influences results" it's a way of using the umpiring as a scapegoat, an excuse for results not going their way. Of course, instead of saying "they do not" TFP could have posted a few paragraphs tying off any arguments neatly so as to avoid any posters in the mood for a painful argument on semantics. Alas, he didn't, and here we are.

So, yes the umpires can influence a result, but in a footy game there are 3 ways the game can be influenced - by one team, the other team, or by chance. Umpires are chance, and the sooner people realise that the less bitter they'll be about games from half a season ago.

There is context to #sackhinkley - they as a supporter base are constantly being ignored, fed a media narrative of Hinkley is a great coach, who seems to avoid the scrutiny that other coaches (Beveridge, Goodwin) get - and they both won flags..
They have no member control of their club
He is a good coach though and has done pretty well with good but not great lists over the years. Hasn't won a flag, but got them close with several prelims. The booing of him was just awful.

Even this year, second on the ladder is a great feat. The supporter base refuses to give him any credit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back