No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
‘They do not’ in response to another poster can’t really be taken many ways.

It’s a pedantic argument because it is a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ question. Can an umpire influence a game/result?
No one decision does, - you have 120 mins of player, coach and umpire decisions (not to mention the bounce of the ball)
People focus on the decision at the end and forget about the HTB not being paid in the first minute.
Build a bridge, get over it, and move on.

No one decision does, - you have 120 mins of player, coach and umpire decisions (not to mention the bounce of the ball)
People focus on the decision at the end and forget about the HTB not being paid in the first minute.

I've got a very good friend who is a Carlton supporter. I find he tends to remember every decision, bounce or non-call in every match over the last 10 years. And he focuses on the one, no matter how old, that best suits his grievance at that very minute.

Last edited:
We are still stuck on the decision I used as an example which I have explained is just that, an example.
I’ve also explained that I am not whinging about a specific decision or result, no bridge needed.

TFP has spoken in absolutes about something and is wrong. Simple as that. As many posters as youse want can pile up and comment but my point is that umpires can influence games, to say they can’t is wrong and I don’t think I have deviated from that.

I feel like what I have written has been misinterpreted and resulted in a bunch of responses that are completely irrelevant of my point. Maybe the way I have tried to convey said point has influenced that or maybe it’s out of my control. ;)

We are still stuck on the decision I used as an example which I have explained is just that, an example.
I’ve also explained that I am not whinging about a specific decision or result, no bridge needed.

TFP has spoken in absolutes about something and is wrong. Simple as that. As many posters as youse want can pile up and comment but my point is that umpires can influence games, to say they can’t is wrong and I don’t think I have deviated from that.

I feel like what I have written has been misinterpreted and resulted in a bunch of responses that are completely irrelevant of my point. Maybe the way I have tried to convey said point has influenced that or maybe it’s out of my control. ;)
I don't think anyone has missed your point, it's just that you really don't have one. Which was why I asked, what do you get out of it if someone agrees with you and says yes the umpires do influence results?

Yes the umpires influence, results - can we control that? No. So in reality it's completely irrelevant to the result.

Typical... but if it was Sicily they'd be calling for 3 weeks
Sounds like most are saying AFL has to give him a week to keep sending the message but he will get off at tribunal (im sure a little nudge nudge wink wink from the AFL there)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's see if the AFL does the right thing:

Only thing that might help Jones is the GWS player had one arm free - although he had the ball in that arm which made it hard to brace for the fall…

And the answer is there is nothing you can do about it.
There is one thing you can do about it…
Game Smash GIF by Red Bull

Genuinely think the AFL is one of the weakest sporting bodies in the world- absolute pushovers when it comes finals time and bowing to the sensationalist media compared to other codes. Jones being let off shows how little they care for player welfare.

On a side note, I'd love it if the AFL gave Melbourne a "please explain" for their constant disregard for the appeals process and their lack of ability to grow their players and move them away from dirty play.
Kozi might be talented, but he's one of the dodgiest players when it comes to his regard for his opponents. Any club with a good culture would have stamped it out two years ago.
Disgrace imo.

Sounds like most are saying AFL has to give him a week to keep sending the message but he will get off at tribunal (im sure a little nudge nudge wink wink from the AFL there)
If Sicily did it, he'd miss a month. Guaranteed month.

There would be no fanfare. Just people telling us to accept it
Lol typical... ofc he got off with just a fine!

I'd be okay with this finals bias if I knew our players (and all other teams) would get treated the same, but we never get leniency from the MRO - Sicily 100% cops 2 weeks for that in the same situation.

They do get a bit weak at the knees when it comes to suspensions around finals time eh
Dillon just said on AFL 360 that it depends on the impact on the player as to what the punishment is. Player gets hurt, you get suspended. No harm, little foul. How the hell does that remove this dangerous act from the game ? Isn’t that what they’re trying to do?
Punish the act, not the outcome. You did with Cyril, getting 2 weeks for attempted striking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back