No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the outside it looks like one of the problems is how close Goodwin is to some of the 'bad eggs' in the playing group - the ones that Trac probably has issues with.

Getting rid of Goodwin might upset a large section of the playing cohort... more trouble from a whole club perspective than just allowing Trac to leave.

Very interesting watch, that is for sure.

If it is a drug-fuelled collapse at Melbourne then this is much worse than West Coast. At least the AFL could argue it was West Coast who did that all on their own. With Melbourne we have AFL-enabled (and tester avoided) drug consumption. And yesterday on Edddie and Jim Bartel's podcast, Eddie said the AFL was brushing a revamp of the entire drug policy under the carpet.

So, something is coming to a boil. Many boys (and girls) in the boy's club are working overtime to stop it from exploding.

How long is it until the AFL starts trotting out "recreational" and "personal choices"? Or do they go the "mental health" route first? Whatever cynical argument is needed to divert the discussion from their active enablement of the destruction of the MFC.

I wonder if the AFL's "We'll help you not get caught when you party hardy on the coke and whatnot" was running overtime at Melbourne. There could be a few fevered conversations and whatsapp groupchats on private phones cleanups underway. But all communications, private device or not, are discoverable...

There are clearly fine lines to be tread there. Every club would have players dabbling but it is rare for it to get to West Coast 00s and Melbourne's current levels. I think if the rumours are true and Goodwin is partying/punting with the players it's a pretty giant red flag and any club officials who have let that stand should be accountable.

If it is a drug-fuelled collapse at Melbourne then this is much worse than West Coast. At least the AFL could argue it was West Coast who did that all on their own. With Melbourne we have AFL-enabled (and tester avoided) drug consumption. And yesterday on Edddie and Jim Bartel's podcast, Eddie said the AFL was brushing a revamp of the entire drug policy under the carpet.

So, something is coming to a boil. Many boys (and girls) in the boy's club are working overtime to stop it from exploding.

How long is it until the AFL starts trotting out "recreational" and "personal choices"? Or do they go the "mental health" route first? Whatever cynical argument is needed to divert the discussion from their active enablement of the destruction of the MFC.

I know you clearly abhor drug use to a rather passionate level - and you're more than entitled to that take. But at some point you have to be practical. You can't just wholesale wipe out players if they are taking recreational drugs (gameday aside) because it just wouldn't be feasible and you would end up with a fair swathe of players on the side-line. For mine, if the players aren't operating heavy machinery then I don't give a shit what they are up to post-game on the weekends so long as they are back on Monday ready to put in and they aren't developing a problem. You might think otherwise due to your fairly strong stance on drugs - but there are many people out there who can take substances without becoming addicted or moving onto harder drugs.

I am all for educating players and informing them of the impact of drug use, offering counselling to those who are found to be taking it to ensure they are okay and keeping that in-house. The last thing a player who might be getting a dependency issue arising needs is the hypocritical vultures that are the Australian press reporting on them.

A 'strike' system is simplistic and naïve. Players have ample free time and income and are in circles where drug use will be readily available and 'just say no' has never worked and will never work across the board. A practical and pragmatic approach is needed and that does not require the help of the sensationalist media or any other parties - it is up to the league and clubs to manage. If governance fails like in this instance and with West Coast in the past then the AFL needs to investigate and punish those responsible.

You know, Hawks attendance being 6th in the league despite playing 4 games in Tassie at an average of 12k attendance is pretty impressive. Replace those with MCG games at average attendance and we slot in at 4th.

Reckon Essington are only up there by virtue of all the "special" games they get. Anzac Day, Dreamtime etc.

TeamAttendanceAverage
Collingwood
1367002​
59435​
Carlton
1277120​
55527​
Essendon
1148090​
49917​
Hawthorn (MCG Replacement)
Richmond
1004886​
43691​
Geelong
965516​
41979​
Hawthorn

Problem is those mcg games would be played at docklands. People forget that's why we went to tassie, to avoid playing at docklands.

Carlton, essendon and Richmond games are slightly inflated by being fixtures "marquee" games early in the season.

When those "traditional" clashes are fixture later in the year (usually a return clash) they often draw less as normally one or both are out of the finals race.

Compare that to the hawks games. The majority of games vs big 4 teams are late in the year, and often the only clash for the year when one or both are out of finals, yet still draw around the 40k mark, with no build up

The similarities between Petracca and Melbourne and Judd and west coast is crazy. It’s just that Petracca is contracted. No one blamed Judd for leaving the eagles
Judd was no angel.
Far from it.

He was always going home to Vic but used the excuse of Eagles culture as his reason for wanting out.
Although I don’t think it ever came out of his mouth, it was his management who leaked that to media.

From the outside it looks like one of the problems is how close Goodwin is to some of the 'bad eggs' in the playing group - the ones that Trac probably has issues with.

Getting rid of Goodwin might upset a large section of the playing cohort... more trouble from a whole club perspective than just allowing Trac to leave.

Very interesting watch, that is for sure.
If you buy a dozen eggs & 4 are off do you throw 1 out ? Or all 4 ?

Or do you throw the good ones out & keep the bad ones in fear that you’ll offend some others ?

Goodwin, Clarry & whoever else fits in the bad egg basket need to go & need to go now to save the club

Petraca sounds like a right c**khead. No surprises there.

Imagine being one of the best ever players the club has had, being a stand up individual on and off the field, and a vital member of a premiership winning core.

Only to have the coach and Oliver, alongside two ratty players (Smith and Hunter), poison the club. He got to watch as their window shut through negligence, wasting his, Viney's and Gawn's opportunity to win multiple flags.

Then the injury incident occurs. It's hardly a surprise he's had enough.

I know you clearly abhor drug use to a rather passionate level - and you're more than entitled to that take. But at some point you have to be practical. You can't just wholesale wipe out players if they are taking recreational drugs (gameday aside) because it just wouldn't be feasible and you would end up with a fair swathe of players on the side-line. For mine, if the players aren't operating heavy machinery then I don't give a shit what they are up to post-game on the weekends so long as they are back on Monday ready to put in and they aren't developing a problem. You might think otherwise due to your fairly strong stance on drugs - but there are many people out there who can take substances without becoming addicted or moving onto harder drugs.

I am all for educating players and informing them of the impact of drug use, offering counselling to those who are found to be taking it to ensure they are okay and keeping that in-house. The last thing a player who might be getting a dependency issue arising needs is the hypocritical vultures that are the Australian press reporting on them.

A 'strike' system is simplistic and naïve. Players have ample free time and income and are in circles where drug use will be readily available and 'just say no' has never worked and will never work across the board. A practical and pragmatic approach is needed and that does not require the help of the sensationalist media or any other parties - it is up to the league and clubs to manage. If governance fails like in this instance and with West Coast in the past then the AFL needs to investigate and punish those responsible.
I’m not the person you are replying to but for mine it’s not so much that the AFL stops players using it’s more that it’s creating situations where players can use more and more drugs while then protecting them when they go to far.

Stuff like the drug testing certain players before they play. Enables them to party harder knowing they won’t be risking missing multiple years of footy. Without that they either get suspended or have to cut back.

Plus you’ve got situations like Melbourne and west coast where the AFL won’t step in and clean the place up instead sweep it under the rug and let it continue to fester and do more damage.

The AFL can’t stop drug use but they could do much better in managing the situation.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine being one of the best ever players the club has had, being a stand up individual on and off the field, and a vital member of a premiership winning core.

Only to have the coach and Oliver, alongside two ratty players (Smith and Hunter), poison the club. He got to watch as their window shut through negligence, wasting both his, Viney's and Gawn's opportunity to win multiple flags.

Yeah I’m withholding on judging Petracca here because there’s clearly issues within the club, and that been known publicly for years.. What if Christian has raised his concerns for years only for it to have fallen on deaf ears? The injury may just have been the final straw. Outside looking in something stinks with their coach and their culture in general. Everything we’ve know. About Petracca points to him being a true professional and perhaps he’s just fed up?

Only to have the coach and Oliver, alongside two ratty players (Smith and Hunter), poison the club. He got to watch as their window shut through negligence, wasting his, Viney's and Gawn's opportunity to win multiple flags.

And I'll also add in the early stages of his injury he was kind've defending the club. I'd argue that he's been to loyal.

I’m not the person you are replying to but for mine it’s not so much that the AFL stops players using it’s more that it’s creating situations where players can use more and more drugs while then protecting them when they go to far.

Stuff like the drug testing certain players before they play. Enables them to party harder knowing they won’t be risking missing multiple years of footy that. Without that they either get suspended or have to cut back.

Plus you’ve got situations like Melbourne and west coast where the AFL won’t step in and clean the place up instead sweep it under the rug and let it continue to fester and do more damage.

The AFL can’t stop drug use but they could do much better in managing the situation.

I’m all for them doing it better in a way that minimises player harm. Whichever outcome that is - but for my view that won’t be done with a ‘just say no’ approach nor will it be achieved by blasting failed drug test news to the sensationalist media clown show.

The choices the players make are theirs to live with. My issue is that AFL enables drug use by helping players avoid detection and the contractual consequences (along with the revenue consequences to the AFL, regulators and the gambling industry). I’m not even touching on the wisdom of usage. But systemically enabling usage? In this case usage by employees, enabled and participated in by employers and the overseeing body. There’s no reasonable argument that justifies it, as the Melbourne situation is showing yet one more time.

How the **** do Gold Coast have so many early draft picks?
Bullshit Academy system. Have a top 10 pick, trade it for a future top 10 pick, draft multple first round picks using garbage late picks. Next year, rinse and repeat and you end up with multiple early picks.

Bullshit Academy system. Have a top 10 pick, trade it for a future top 10 pick, draft multple first round picks using garbage late picks. Next year, rinse and repeat and you end up with multiple early picks.
Doesn't seems to do them any good, though. Simply means a few poor bastards from southern states sit in misery for a few years before they beg to go home.

On a side note, former Sun Lynch showing some real loyalty. Tiges are done so he wants to bail.

Petraca sounds like a right c**khead. No surprises there.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Have heard nothing but absolute praise for him and his character. You'd love someone like this at your footy club who doesn't want to sweep stuff under the carpet and has actively tried to change the terrible culture problems at the club. I'd be doing the exact same thing as Petracca and getting out of that joint.

It's amazing what a premiership does for a coach. If Hawthorn kept a bloke like Goodwin on I'd be livid.

Judd was no angel.
Far from it.

He was always going home to Vic but used the excuse of Eagles culture as his reason for wanting out.
Although I don’t think it ever came out of his mouth, it was his management who leaked that to media.
Very smart player of the media.
He was the ring leader of the booze cruise where they force fed alcohol to a new recruit, was always with fev whenever fev got in hot water too

The choices the players make are theirs to live with. My issue is that AFL enables drug use by helping players avoid detection and the contractual consequences (along with the revenue consequences to the AFL, regulators and the gambling industry). I’m not even touching on the wisdom of usage. But systemically enabling usage? In this case usage by employees, enabled and participated in by employers and the overseeing body. There’s no reasonable argument that justifies it, as the Melbourne situation is showing yet one more time.

No - the AFL doesn't enable it. The players enable it themselves. They are going to do it no matter what regime is hanging over the top of them. They are young, silly blokes with crazy amounts of income and adulation and will have no ends of offers being made to them. Melbourne is an outlier just like Sam Fisher is an outlier. Arbitrary prohibition policies are never going to work so I don't blame the AFL for trying other ways to manage it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back