No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our return to from has come at a good time given our Tassie deal will end at some stage between 2025 - 2027. Big crowds hopefully mean an increase of MCG home games from six to nine (Pies get nine, Dees & Tigers 10).

Bombers will get an extra MCG home game from next year so would likely stay in front of us even if we bring our Tassie games back to Melbourne (instead of Cairns or elsewhere).
Agreed an let's just face it with the Tigers on the verge of a rebuild and the Demons on the verge of imploding the MCG will look very empty over the next couple of years if those 2 clubs get the majority of there games there. At this early stage of our rebuild it seems everything is falling into place perfectly.

Petraca sounds like a right c**khead. No surprises there.
I don’t know if he is or is not. But I do know his grievances about Melbourne are valid. They were sweeping things under the rug for years and now onfield performance is failing, can hardly blame him for thinking the future there looks pretty grim.

The club has a good option available to it: sack Goodwin, trade Oliver and others and rebuild with Gawn Viney and Petracca as senior leaders

They won’t do it though because they have spent years lying about the problems and even defaming their former president and battling litigation in relation to it

I urge anyone who has an opinion on this one way or the other to read Ben Cousin’s biography.
IMO the clubs and the AFL have the ability to just about stop this dead by taking away what the players hold most dear to themselves and that is playing football.
Turn a blind eye or whack with a limp lettuce leaf only encourages dangerous behaviours to continue.

Yup because suspensions for high bumps resulting in injury have absolutely ended the practice.

Simplistic approaches won't solve the problem.

Agreed an let's just face it with the Tigers on the verge of a rebuild and the Demons on the verge of imploding the MCG will look very empty over the next couple of years if those 2 clubs get the majority of there games there. At this early stage of our rebuild it seems everything is falling into place perfectly.

Bugs, there's a simple solution for the Tigers and Demons.... merge them.

There are only 16 players on the list younger than him with double digit games.

Basically, their 'young' core is Schultz (26), Lipinski (26), , Josh Daicos (25), Murphy (24), Quaynor (24), Hill (24), McCreery (23) and Nick Daicos (21). Everyone else is unproven or borderline delist status and they dont have a first rounder this year.

They are going to have to hope they can do a Geelong in finding random talent or the cliff will be off the charts big in a couple of years.

As in his prima donna demands. They were saying on Footy Classified last night that among other things he wanted to play in front of bigger crowds, and a bigger club to promote his brand. I'd be livid if i was a Melbourne supporter.

It's more his list of demands that makes me dislike him. Has the Judds written all over it where it was all about him interviewing the club. Smacks of arrogance

You seriously think that he said that - the guy earns a mil a year playing footy, has nearly 500k followers on Insta alone, major sponsors for his cooking podcast, as well as sporting sponsorships, celeb chefs cooking with him, appearances at food festivals and you think that’s the reason he has given.

I’ve got absolutely no doubt that this is coming from the club to make him look like a, what was it, “a ********”

Melbourne made a decision to pander to Oliver and his behaviour - at least two seasons they’ve seen his crap, then there was the shit with Smith and all the demons can do is trot out Gawn and their “great culture, culture, culture” bullshit

The straw was sending him back out against the pies. Shameful that pies players were the ones who expressed concern ON FIELD

The guy nearly lost his life and there’s still those who are buying into this “I want to promote my brand” bullshit

Last edited:
You seriously think that he said that - the guy earns a mil a year playing footy, has nearly 500k followers on Insta alone, major sponsors for his cooking podcast, as well as sporting sponsorships, celeb chefs cooking with him, appearances at food festivals and you think that’s the reason he has given.

I’ve got absolutely no doubt that this is coming from the club to make him look like a, what was it, “a ********”

Melbourne made a decision to pander to Oliver and his behaviour - at least two seasons they’ve seen his crap, then there was tie shit with Smith and all the demons can do is trot out Gawn and their “great culture, culture, culture” bullshit

The straw was sending him back out against the pies. Shameful that pies players expressed concern ON FIELD

The guy nearly lost his life and there’s still those who are buying into this “I want to promote my brand” bullshit
Awesome post.

Petracca has been mismanaged.

This isn't a guy who's just take the easy way out. He's got one chance at an AFL career and signing on for a long term contract does not mean you sign up for that kind of life threatening medical **** up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup because suspensions for high bumps resulting in injury have absolutely ended the practice.

Don't agree with you on that, suspensions for high bumps and dumping tackles have dramatically reduced the instances of both, you can actually see the players change their behaviour in front of your eyes 9 out of 10 times.

As I say, read Ben Cousins book, if WCE had of stopped Ben from playing until he cleaned himself up it would have greatly assisted where he ended up and minimised the hurt to himself and his family. In the book it openly says he would reward himself with a bender on Saturday and Sunday after a game.

Don't agree with you on that, suspensions for high bumps and dumping tackles have dramatically reduced the instances of both, you can actually see the players change their behaviour in front of your eyes 9 out of 10 times.

As I say, read Ben Cousins book, if WCE had of stopped Ben from playing until he cleaned himself up it would have greatly assisted where he ended up and minimised the hurt to himself and his family. In the book it openly says he would reward himself with a bender on Saturday and Sunday after a game.

If you are advocating for the the clubs actively getting players help rather than continuing to play them when they have a dependency issue then apologies for misunderstanding and I agree with you 100% and I was advocating for this with Melbourne and Oliver a lot of last year.

If you are saying if someone is caught doing a sneaky bit of ketamine in the toilets that they should have their career threatened - sorry I can't go in for that.

The AFL’s mission isn’t to stop drug use as a social outcome, it’s to stop drug use by players that gets them suspended as a business outcome. Let a player get smacked with a career-ending four-year suspension by WADA and watch it stop league wide overnight. Instead, the AFL has chosen to support drug use through clandestine testing and misreported health conditions in order to avoid independent PED testing. The morality of an employer as a use enabler aside, the operational outcome of use enablement is what we find at Melbourne.

The AFL has deliberately confused business goals (players fit to play) with social goals (mental health of whatever moniker is put forward) in an effort to keep players on the field while acting like it is player welfare which motivates them. If player welfare were a genuine primary concern of the AFL, then they would be punishing coke snorting, not enabling it.

If the players want to snort until their noses cave in during the summer then whoopie for them. The AFL should not, as a pure business concern, enable players to avoid detection for PED usage, regardless of its social acceptance. If the AFL were supporting PED usage with perfectly legal substances, say the Lance Armstrong special, in an effort to keep players on the field, then surely we would not support that, right?

Now publicly letting it known that if Melbourne force him to stay it will be bad for his mental health. Pulling out all stops

happy gilmore mista mista GIF by Romy

The AFL’s mission isn’t to stop drug use as a social outcome, it’s to stop drug use by players that gets them suspended as a business outcome. Let a player get smacked with a career-ending four-year suspension by WADA and watch it stop league wide overnight. Instead, the AFL has chosen to support drug use through clandestine testing and misreported health conditions in order to avoid independent PED testing. The morality of an employer as a use enabler aside, the operational outcome of use enablement is what we find at Melbourne.

The AFL has deliberately confused business goals (players fit to play) with social goals (mental health of whatever moniker is put forward) in an effort to keep players on the field while acting like it is player welfare which motivates them. If player welfare were a genuine primary concern of the AFL, then they would be punishing coke snorting, not enabling it.

If the players want to snort until their noses cave in during the summer then whoopie for them. The AFL should not, as a pure business concern, enable players to avoid detection for PED usage, regardless of its social acceptance. If the AFL were supporting PED usage with perfectly legal substances, say the Lance Armstrong special, in an effort to keep players on the field, then surely we would not support that, right?

Sure, no disagreements with that. Which is why I am fine with gameday testing for illicit substances because players should know better than to have it in their system at that time. Also if a player is doing rec drugs and it is tainted with PEDs and they get done, then that's a risk they have run and cop the consequences. But if testers are coming in randomly on a Wednesday lookings for PEDs and find out the player did a few lines on Sunday night then I am not supportive of that being a publicly divulged thing and a 'strike' etc. Especially as the media folk think it's oh so funny to make jokes every year about the Logies being awash with coke but they then love a pile-on if a footy player gets caught doing the same thing. The public shaming model is bullshit.

Obviously the system needs an overhaul - and I think player welfare should absolutely be front and centre of it. I am not advocating that players get on the nose beers every weekend as it is clearly risky on multiple fronts - but a head in the sand approach won't work either. How this balance gets struck I don't know as I am by no means an expert just some mug with an opinion - as I've long said though so long as footy players aren't driving a truck on the highways or operating heavy machinery I don't much care what they are snorting so long as it's not hurting others and isn't being done to gain an advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back