No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
think he was sold a Mercedes with 300k on the clock
Tbf the 300k was written on the windscreen and everyone else could see it but him.
Tigers and the Eagles jobs are the worst jobs in footy right now. Why anyone would want to coach there with minimal young talent and full of plodders is beyond me.

The player excuses just remind me how immature AFL players really are.
I doubt he actually is. The Dees’ better players have seen the writing on the wall.

Petracca will either be gone or he’ll be forced to stay and the environment at Demonland next year will be toxic.

Gameplan is outdated and boring to play. The Dees fans stopped showing up as soon as finals were off the cards. They’ll probably be playing in front of seagulls and tarps in a few years.

Their premiership window has shut. Abandon ship.

I see a lot of complaints about media AA sides that don't have guys like Sheezel, Xerri, McGovern or the like in them - maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I don't think the bottom sides deserve players in the AA team. Gary Ablett's time at the Gold Coast has made the footy landscape far too comfortable in rewarding individually good footy in hopeless squads.

Demons fans are being plunged into oblivion again
At least they came out with 1 W.A premiership
About to fall off several cliffs
Captain gawn choosing to go down with the ship

I see a lot of complaints about media AA sides that don't have guys like Sheezel, Xerri, McGovern or the like in them - maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I don't think the bottom sides deserve players in the AA team. Gary Ablett's time at the Gold Coast has made the footy landscape far too comfortable in rewarding individually good footy in hopeless squads.
I disagree pretty strongly with this, even in sports like the NBA where 1 players influence is much greater i think we are too success driven.

What did Sheezel not do that you would like him to for example?

Average 30 disposals a game, started the year on half back and was one of the best in the game in the position, moved in to the middle and was elite at the role, spent some time at half forward and was ultra damaging. Punishing him for North being terrible is unfair in my opinion.

1 player simply can not consistently carry a team in this sport, he did everything you could ask of him this year and outperformed most mids on better teams.

The Dee's may have a couple more that seek other options. Stinks from the head. Get rid of Goodwin instead of dealing with the bad optics of mass player exodus.
The board need to take a lot of responsibility for this, the stories were getting leaked over 12 months ago now. They have continued to sweep everything under the rug and hope it all goes away. It hasn't and it has only gotten worse.

I don’t agree that players from bottom sides should be excluded just because they’re in bad/underperforming teams. But I do think there can often be fancies from bottom teams that everyone gets swept up in because of raw stats.

Sheezel and McGovern play games that clearly lift their overall team performance and I reckon would translate well to making a top 8/12 team better too. Add either of them to our list this year and we’d have won a few more games and finished top.

Other players for example, and my mind is drawn to some rucks that get hyped up on the back of impressive stat lines and SuperCoach scores. They don’t necessarily play bad games but their numbers are padded by grabbing the ball out of the ruck and registering clearances from long dump kicks to contests. They play games that get themselves good numbers but to my eye cost their team and likely contribute to the poor ladder position.

I disagree pretty strongly with this, even in sports like the NBA where 1 players influence is much greater i think we are too success driven.

What did Sheezel not do that you would like him to for example?

Average 30 disposals a game, started the year on half back and was one of the best in the game in the position, moved in to the middle and was elite at the role, spent some time at half forward and was ultra damaging. Punishing him for North being terrible is unfair in my opinion.

1 player simply can not consistently carry a team in this sport, he did everything you could ask of him this year and outperformed most mids on better teams.
I don’t agree that players from bottom sides should be excluded just because they’re in bad/underperforming teams. But I do think there can often be fancies from bottom teams that everyone gets swept up in because of raw stats.

Sheezel and McGovern play games that clearly lift their overall team performance and I reckon would translate well to making a top 8/12 team better too. Add either of them to our list this year and we’d have won a few more games and finished top.

Other players for example, and my mind is drawn to some rucks that get hyped up on the back of impressive stat lines and SuperCoach scores. They don’t necessarily play bad games but their numbers are padded by grabbing the ball out of the ruck and registering clearances from long dump kicks to contests. They play games that get themselves good numbers but to my eye cost their team and likely contribute to the poor ladder position.
I'm not saying they should be excluded. I mean that team success should be a big factor, particularly when you're looking at players in comparable positions. I'm saying that I have no qualms with bad sides missing out on nominations and selections because of that.

Players should need to be EXCEPTIONALLY good to be selected from a team that has won 3 games. Sheezel is the one that I'd be okay with being included, provided it was the bench and not ahead of more deserving HBs, mids or HFs. McGovern and Xerri not so much.

McGovern as a full back on the basis of his season. West Coast have the worst Mark I50 against rate in the competition, the worst Goals per I50 against rate in the competition, 2nd worst scoring shot per I50 against rate in the competition and 2nd worst Defensive 1:1 loss rate in the competition. Third fewest spoils. An individually fine season from Gov but hard to justify an AA selection in a side that has lost 10 games by 50 points or more.

It's not that there are things they could be doing better, it's just bad luck and better luck for when you're in a more deserving team.

The fact is that good players stand out a lot more in worse squads. Hawthorn had multiple seasons where Burgoyne, Mitchell, Hodge, Gibson, Birchall missed out because worse sides needed their token selections and relative to the quality of the Hawks squad they just didn't stand out as much.

The board need to take a lot of responsibility for this, the stories were getting leaked over 12 months ago now. They have continued to sweep everything under the rug and hope it all goes away. It hasn't and it has only gotten worse.
The ironic part of it all is it feels like all the players that did bags with the coach have stood up for him and all the rest are leaving. This season should fall directly on the board for how poorly it has managed things. Viney staying is the only real saving grace

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ironic part of it all is it feels like all the players that did bags with the coach have stood up for him and all the rest are leaving. This season should fall directly on the board for how poorly it has managed things. Viney staying is the only real saving grace

It looks like the dam may be about to break. We canned our president because he is a jerk. Melbourne’s president appears to have enabled a coke-driven collapse of the entire place and he gets no pressure at all. That tells you something about what each club’s member base expects from their office holders.

1724883008073.png

so you didnt want Sicily to be All Australian last year?

so you didnt want Sicily to be All Australian last year?
If you read my later comment I said that I think players should be exceptionally good to be selected from worse sides which Sicily was. We also won 7 games, not 3, and 2 of those games were won almost entirely off the back of Sicily. He almost dragged us over the line against Richmond too and broke the intercept mark record in the process.

I don't think comparing a historically bad bottom 3 to us last year is really relevant tbh.

It looks like the dam may be about to break. We canned our president because he is a jerk. Melbourne’s president appears to have enabled a coke-driven collapse of the entire place and he gets no pressure at all. That tells you something about what each club’s member base expects from their office holders.

Melbourne's president isn't a 'he' last I checked.

Tbf the 300k was written on the windscreen and everyone else could see it but him.
Tigers and the Eagles jobs are the worst jobs in footy right now. Why anyone would want to coach there with minimal young talent and full of plodders is beyond me.
I think he could see it, but the allure of being a senior AFL coach was just too much. There's only 18 possible positions, and only a few come up each year, and they are almost always going to be a shit team. Can't get Chris Scott lucky again, that situation just doesn't happen twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back