No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scrimshaw and Impey weren't even mentioned in the most the the discussions about possibilities for the squads... Both have been excellent. Given we don't have any key position backs and our defence is holding up so well, someone must be playing well?
Hawthorn players just don’t get the recognition in the media for whatever reason, Also I don’t think an ex Hawthorn player has been on selection panel, I don’t count Demetriou, wasn’t there long enough

Was watching watching one of the footy shows a couple weeks ago and when talking about Hawthorn, it was Hawthorn played great they were good at this and good at that, the next game they rattle of about 7 players on the winning team

Had to laugh that Nick Watson didn’t get any votes in the Rising Star award

Unsurprisingly another joke of an all Australian team… it loses credibility more and more each year..
  • Daicos never played wing - absolutely laughable- just put him on the bench and put Whitfield half back and sack Ryan
  • Luke Ryan in the team for taking the kick outs and chipping it around the backline all year is bad
  • Blakey started the year well but fell away big time- very lucky to make it
  • Moore never played forward pocket- is a high half forward and Heeney and Warner are midfielders
  • West coast with two all Australians is woeful
  • McGovern over Andrews is bewildering
  • Waterman had a couple of big games but also fell away big time
  • How the hell does Jeremy Cameron make it- Geelong dick kissed as usual - gets in based off kicking 9 junk goals against a listless west coast in the last game

Heeney should be a starting midfielder over Serong. But both he and Warner did spend time playing forward, so I suppose they'd be the easiest to place there.

I think Sheezel and Flanders could feel pretty aggrieved. But both played multiple roles, starting on a HBF and then moving into the midfield. They put up elite numbers in both positions too (and kicked goals as midfielders).

Dale was surely the best HBF this season. Maybe those first two games cost him?

Unsurprisingly another joke of an all Australian team… it loses credibility more and more each year..
  • Daicos never played wing - absolutely laughable- just put him on the bench and put Whitfield half back and sack Ryan for Massimo
  • Luke Ryan in the team for taking the kick outs and chipping it around the backline all year is bad- and he didn’t do much at all 2nd half of the year
  • Blakey started the year well but fell away big time- very lucky to make it
  • Moore never played forward pocket- is a high half forward and Heeney and Warner are midfielders
  • West coast with two all Australians is woeful
  • McGovern over Andrews is bewildering
  • Waterman had a couple of big games but also fell away big time
  • How the hell does Jeremy Cameron make it- Geelong dick kissed as usual - gets in based off kicking 9 junk goals against a listless west coast in the last game- he was nowhere near it before that
Haven’t paid attention to it in years, sounds like I shouldn’t even raise an eyebrow. Classic really

Heeney should be a starting midfielder over Serong. But both he and Warner did spend time playing forward, so I suppose they'd be the easiest to place there.

I think Sheezel and Flanders could feel pretty aggrieved. But both played multiple roles, starting on a HBF and then moving into the midfield. They put up elite numbers in both positions too (and kicked goals as midfielders).

Dale was surely the best HBF this season. Maybe those first two games cost him?
Being versatile is a death knell for your AA chances. Hodge and Burgoyne would have been 4-5 time AA if they could stick to a position, but Hodge never copped one after 2010 and Burgoyne never as a Hawk. Sheezel has played a lot of good footy, but he's played it across too many positions.

I find the AA particularly interesting this year. They made a few good advances in terms of picking for position last year only to almost completely go back to terrible across the board.

You've got one defender that actually defends, you've got zero forward pockets, a half forward flanker and a tall sitting in there instead, two mostly inside midfielders running around on the flanks and the 4th highest contested possession winner of the year sitting out on the wing.

Call me silly but I just think 9 centre bounce mids in the AA team is a few too many.

Being versatile is a death knell for your AA chances. Hodge and Burgoyne would have been 4-5 time AA if they could stick to a position, but Hodge never copped one after 2010 and Burgoyne never as a Hawk. Sheezel has played a lot of good footy, but he's played it across too many positions.

Yeah realistically they were only ever a chance for a bench spot, even though they both had better numbers than most of the players named in the side.

I feel the drink driving indiscretion cost Hodge the 2015 AA (and Captaincy). Both were deserving or multiple more AAs throughout their careers.

I find the AA particularly interesting this year. They made a few good advances in terms of picking for position last year only to almost completely go back to terrible across the board.

You've got one defender that actually defends, you've got zero forward pockets, a half forward flanker and a tall sitting in there instead, two mostly inside midfielders running around on the flanks and the 4th highest contested possession winner of the year sitting out on the wing.

Call me silly but I just think 9 centre bounce mids in the AA team is a few too many.
The AA team doesn’t do defending that’s for sure. The only two who run defensively and/or defend are Moore and Weitering.

Thought Sicily might have had a sneaky chance of getting a square up for 2022 but alas not to be as he does not play for Geelong of course......

The AA team doesn’t do defending that’s for sure. The only two who run defensively and/or defend are Moore and Weitering.
I love how much more balanced the non-selected team is. Better across the board, except the midfield for obvious reasons.

The AA forward line would genuinely struggle against this defence. All of Sicily, Andrews and Collins are very strong defenders.

1000006582.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I pretty much gave up on the concept of a Team of the Year back in 1991. No representative from the Premiership team, Paul Hudson kicked 62 goals from the half forward flank and missed out. The two players selected at half forward were Nicky Winmar (12 goals) and Gavin Brown (15 goals).

I do take an interest to see if the Hawks had a selection, but apart from that I really couldn't care. The media have their favourites and there's no getting past that.

When do they name Coach of the Year?

The selection of the AA team isn’t the issue, the selection of the AA panel is. Has anyone had a look at it? It’s absolutely what you’d expect. I wonder who actually even decides what the panel is. Why does Laura Kane and Andrew Dillon need to be on it? Abbey Holmes? Sorry I do like Abbey’s media work but there is so many media presenters who should really come a long way before.

I know the balance of the AA team is always bad but it feels even worse this year.

One lockdown defender, one who occasionally goes near his opponent but prefers to play loose, and 4 who are too busy playing kick to kick with teammates to even bother looking for an opponent to pick up with one more on the bench.

Also having 3 tall forwards compared to one small forward, as well as having 9 inside mids.
Really unbalanced team.

Would back Sam and the hawks to cut straight though this team.

Glen Jakovich is one of the selectors

That and West Coast must be footing the bill for the AA dinner. The AFL must just invite past AA players back when they feel like it to join the team. It’s an invite only dinner now for some who actually play well and others who’d like to have dinner on the house.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I love how much more balanced the non-selected team is. Better across the board, except the midfield for obvious reasons.

The AA forward line would genuinely struggle against this defence. All of Sicily, Andrews and Collins are very strong defenders.

View attachment 2096184
The AA forward line is the sort that would struggle against all the good teams defences. The one team they could easily get ahold of is the AA teams defence.

Looking at the best of the rest though it’s amazing how much better a team looks when it’s more balanced even if it has a slightly “lesser” players in it.

It really is the worst AA team I've seen in a while, and that's saying something!
Apparently the 2022 side was so good that Sic couldn't get a spot but Luke Ryan is in this year. Check out these eye watering stats:

Amongst defenders he's 42nd for intercepts, 56th for intercept marks, 91st for contested marks. He attends the 76th most defensive 1:1s and has the 89th best loss rate. 73rd for spoils, 70th for 1 percenters.

In 2022 Sic was 3rd for intercepts, 12th for intercept marks, 9th for contested marks, he attended the 7th most 1:1s and had the 59th best loss rate. He was 11th for spoils, 12th for 1 percenters.

It's all so tiresome.

Jake Waterman? Seriously . If all the forwards were lined up against the wall, he would not be picked in the top 30

Jake Waterman? Seriously . If all the forwards were lined up against the wall, he would not be picked in the top 30
Yea but eagles need representation in a frwd line that can't score or keep it locked in there and also representation in defence where they get slogged time and again. The ball spends so much time there that obviously a quality tall like McGovern is bound to get some numbers!
All the while Sicily and scrimshaw need that extra- extraordinary season to even be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back