No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

What's everyones thoughts on Andrew Bassat's comments at the Saints BnF last night? It was an epic whinge and he has a point to some degree when they've been screwed with NGAs like Mac Andrew + Cam Mackenzie however then there's times when they could've drafted the Bont or Cripps but instead selected Billings OR Petracca or Brayshaw and selected McCartin.

At some stage they need to look in the mirror and stop feeling sorry for themselves because with Tassy coming in it could very well get worse.

EDIT: Mac Andrew fas the Dees NGA

I actually agree with everything he’s said

What's everyones thoughts on Andrew Bassat's comments at the Saints BnF last night? It was an epic whinge and he has a point to some degree when they've been screwed with NGAs like Mac Andrew + Cam Mackenzie however then there's times when they could've drafted the Bont or Cripps but instead selected Billings OR Petracca or Brayshaw and selected McCartin.

At some stage they need to look in the mirror and stop feeling sorry for themselves because with Tassy coming in it could very well get worse.

He makes some good points, but he sounds like a cartoon character

Genuinely pathetic little victim complex.

They have access to FS. We have never realistically had a big difference maker FS and we have plenty of success.

The ball bounces a different way to Milne or the Scarlett toe poke never happens and they could have 2 extra flags and then I'm sure we'd be hearing none of this.

Brisbane could've finished last and still had Ashcroft. Ashcroft could've been projected as a 4th rounder. End of the day they won the flag and he is going at the top, thems the breaks. We've seen a few similar high profile cases lately but we don't need to be reactionary, it will balance itself out naturally. If you took away FS now they'd say "oh just when x or y player has a son" and find a new way to complain.

I see this is massive insecurity about their lack of success as a club and a lack of self awareness and personal responsibility.

Ross' comments about "if the AFL do the right thing we will have pick 8 and pick 9" or words to the effect. Mate the AFL doing the right thing would be following their existing framework for compensation, not gifting you an extra first rounder because you were too inept to realise your salary structure would make Battle a UFA, followed by your inability to sell him on the vision of your club going forward.

Genuinely pathetic little victim complex.

They have access to FS. We have never realistically had a big difference maker FS and we have plenty of success.

The ball bounces a different way to Milne or the Scarlett toe poke never happens and they could have 2 extra flags and then I'm sure we'd be hearing none of this.

Brisbane could've finished last and still had Ashcroft. Ashcroft could've been projected as a 4th rounder. End of the day they won the flag and he is going at the top, thems the breaks. We've seen a few similar high profile cases lately but we don't need to be reactionary, it will balance itself out naturally. If you took away FS now they'd say "oh just when x or y player has a son" and find a new way to complain.

I see this is massive insecurity about their lack of success as a club and a lack of self awareness and personal responsibility.

Ross' comments about "if the AFL do the right thing we will have pick 8 and pick 9" or words to the effect. Mate the AFL doing the right thing would be following their existing framework for compensation, not gifting you an extra first rounder because you were too inept to realise your salary structure would make Battle a UFA, followed by your inability to sell him on the vision of your club going forward.
I understand why they feel a bit aggrieved, there are issues with the system with academies, F/S etc.

However, this is just the worst possible thing to do. It's loser talk. Wave the white flag in front of all your players and the entire club and tell them they're making up the numbers.

What hope do they have when this is what your leader is saying? Better to put your head down, get on with it, and exude the mentality that you don't need all the help in the world, you're gonna do it the hard way.

What hope do they have when this is what your leader is saying? Better to put your head down, get on with it, and exude the mentality that you don't need all the help in the world, you're gonna do it the hard way.
How would any player want to actively go to this club with this sort of complex hanging over the place in every corner.

Saw a post on the Saints board saying that the people criticizing his speech on X was just an example of Tall Poppy Syndrome.

In what reality are the Saints a tall poppy? 😂

I agree with Basset on the price paid for F/S and academy players but that is about it.

I have zero problems and actively support players going to their dads (and soon mum) club and think it is a great part of our game but Brisbane shouldn't be able to pick up Levi for some 3rd rounders noone wants to use anyway - similarly, Carlton shouldn't be allowed to get the Camporeale Twins having used pick 11 in the open pool.

Clearly reducing value of later picks is a start but I also hate the approach of getting a pick in before the bid like Sydney with Logan MacDonald - everyone knew Campbell would be bid in top 5, why not make Sydney use that pick on him?

To further add on the Saints...

Battle didn't attend best and fairest, despite coming third for St Kilda, obviously didn't feel comfortable. There was a muted clap when he's name was announced. This is not a good club.

I understand why they feel a bit aggrieved, there are issues with the system with academies, F/S etc.

However, this is just the worst possible thing to do. It's loser talk. Wave the white flag in front of all your players and the entire club and tell them they're making up the numbers.

I feel the same way about this as I did about Kennett before his bullshit started biting us. I'm glad that there are people in clubland that are willing to fire some shots at the AFL, lord knows they need more of it. As a Saints supporter though, I might feel a little differently - as you said, the white flag isn't a great look for the supporters or the players.

I feel the same way about this as I did about Kennett before his bullshit started biting us. I'm glad that there are people in clubland that are willing to fire some shots at the AFL, lord knows they need more of it. As a Saints supporter though, I might feel a little differently - as you said, the white flag isn't a great look for the supporters or the players.
Yeah, nothing wrong with being passionate about issues and taking the fight to the AFL. Eddie did it to great effect for a number of years, as did Jeff earlier on.

But I don't remember those guys ever whinging to the playing group about it and effectively saying you haven't got a hope.

Great post, it is why i love my Club! When my own business was down or I was, I only had to look to the Hawthorn Football Club for inspiration. We did it the hard way, our way and we are doing it again. All the while propping up these whinger clubs.
I never want anyone feeling sorry for us, like the Saints woe is us attitude, we never do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bassett is a sook. The only thing I agree with him on is that the price for Father Sons / Academy picks should be corrected. I am fine with the existence of the rules, but they should not be discounted and so easily acquired for junk picks.

I just heard that Robbo has been sacked from AFL360. Does anyone know if this is true or a rumour?

If so it's sad he won't be there to celebrate the continued mediocrity that is the Essendon Football Club.

I don't think we can be too critical given the way we feel about Hodge's boys in the lions academy and not a Hawks f/s.
IMO the system does need to be reviewed.
I don't like the accumulation of points system where you can trade your early picks for players or future early picks and then accumulate late picks and use them to equivalent value of an early pick, that totally disadvantages the poorer teams and the whole point of a draft.
If you have a really good F/S prospect you should have to keep your early pick and use that and if it is an academy player and F/S like Cooper Hodge they should be available to both Lions and Hawks exclusively say for two rounds and whoever values the player the most uses their pick.

"The AFL need may need some convincing."

Really? Why? They signed off on the Melbourne medical team's handling of the Petracca injury, didn't they? What are they afraid of then? Have they finally realised their 'sign off' was too hasty?

Regardless, didn't this new administration promise us they'd be transparent?

Let's have some effin transparency then, shall we?

That's the least Petracca and his family deserve after what they went through.

I just heard that Robbo has been sacked from AFL360. Does anyone know if this is true or a rumour?

If so it's sad he won't be there to celebrate the continued mediocrity that is the Essendon Football Club.
As much as I feel he ruined the concept of nightly AFL news, I'm not going to celebrate this.

The man is quite clearly mentally unwell.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back