No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, its a shit system. I love fs but it should be scrapped along with the academies. The afl can never be an elite sporting competition while they remain. You want to draft the son of a former player? Pay the price!
It's an elite sporting competition right now with FS.

Just remove the discount and adjust the points so later round picks are worth less and if using multiple picks then one of them has to come from the same round you're matching in.

There has been disproportionate amount of high quality FS going to already good teams in the last few years, but it's absolutely due for a lean patch, and it will come.
Even so, no one would give a shit if North landed an FS gun this year. Dare I say if the Saints made finals this year and managed to win one, I don't think they throw their toys out the cot about Ashcroft.

Sport is theatre, romance, and a weirdly powerful connection with a club that in reality should not have a huge impact on your life, yet here we are caring so much that we're talking about Hawthorn on an internet forum during our work days.
Anything that strengthens that connection and stops clubs feeling like plastic American franchises that are basically vessels for advertising is an unequivocal yes from me, and FS is the biggest one there is.

Attachments

• CALSHER-DEAR-FIRST-GOA.jpg
    CALSHER-DEAR-FIRST-GOA.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 33
He’s gone on RSN and said he was dumped last week. With the way his slurring was getting so bad this year and his inability to pronounce the letter F, instead saying phhhhhhp, in the last five or six rounds, I thought were were going to hear he had MS or MD or similar degenerative condition. But apparently not.

He’d had some medical episodes in the last few years in relation to his heart. The changes in his speech coincided with that so I’m guessing it’s related. Maybe a minor stroke.

I think also the fact that 7 have been very aggressive with shaking up their line up has had a flow on effect. Fox would want to ensure they don’t lose guys like Jack Riewoldt and Jordan Lewis, so opening up the co-host role on 360 would help there.

He’s gone on RSN and said he was dumped last week. With the way his slurring was getting so bad this year and his inability to pronounce the letter F, instead saying phhhhhhp, in the last five or six rounds, I thought were were going to hear he had MS or MD or similar degenerative condition. But apparently not.

I’m not a massive Robbo fan and find him vaguely coherent at the best of times, however, I do feel a little sorry for the bloke.

Fired from sen, fired from 3AW a few years later, now gone from his only significant media job outside the Hun.

His heart is in the right place, but unfortunately he’s just a fan who was able to make the most out of a fairly limited understanding of the game.

I understand why they feel a bit aggrieved, there are issues with the system with academies, F/S etc.

However, this is just the worst possible thing to do. It's loser talk. Wave the white flag in front of all your players and the entire club and tell them they're making up the numbers.

What hope do they have when this is what your leader is saying? Better to put your head down, get on with it, and exude the mentality that you don't need all the help in the world, you're gonna do it the hard way.
He got his StKilda supporting little brother on the AFL commission for years and still didn’t get any reforms - what the hell was he doing, apart from enjoying all the free lunches and infrastructure paid for by the fans?

He's a buffoon - but to be really fair he's a sincere guy and put himself out there for 14 years and this interview is so honest and genuinely a great response to a tricky situation. Well done Robbo

So - St Kilda have completely embarrassed themselves with that best and fairest event.

Using it as a platform to complain about the AFL is just absolute sook material. The AFL has a lot of areas it can improve on - but why was that the forum for it? Why was that the style of conveying it to members and the club? It was a total whinge. They said they're sick of it -but didn't show any inclination or hint to anyone of what they would do about it.

And not inviting Battle? Just childish. Real childish.

It's an elite sporting competition right now with FS.
It's not about sports anymore, it's about entertainment and advertising. It's not elite about either of those aspects either.
Sport is theatre, romance, and a weirdly powerful connection with a club that in reality should not have a huge impact on your life, yet here we are caring so much that we're talking about Hawthorn on an internet forum during our work days.
Anything that strengthens that connection and stops clubs feeling like plastic American franchises that are basically vessels for advertising is an unequivocal yes from me, and FS is the biggest one there is.
GWS and GCS are already plastic franchises. FS and academy selections are just a way to keep the betting public more interested in the product and controversy it stirs up.

If they were serious about the FS legacy romance there's no way the northern club's academy system should get in the way.

the northern interstate clubs are favoured and it is a system of manipulation not equalisation

re the "wealthy vic clubs " ...aside from Richmond and pies playing 17 games at the MCG and Geelong having the biggest hone ground advantage in the AFL ...they are not favoured by the system ....they are at an advantage due th their strength from good management and success

the aint president is partially right ....

the Anits do have a culture of excuses and scapegoats to reassure themselves

the AFL conveniently didn't change father son rules so the Lions benefit again with a pick 1 ....they will change next year in time for hawthorn to disadvantaged potentially with burger hodge and maguiness

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing against Richmond, but if they finished this season 18th then the next few seasons could be catastrophic. Dusty's retirement doesn't help either. They have to nail this draft

Attachments

• IMG_5385.jpeg
    IMG_5385.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 17
Nothing against Richmond, but if they finished this season 18th then the next few seasons could be catastrophic. Dusty's retirement doesn't help either. They have to nail this draft

It's being done on purpose. Unsurprisingly, their belief is they need to hit the draft aggressively over the next two before Tassie come in.

You need to be bold to achieve greatness in an equalised 18 team comp, and I respect that they're pursuing a bold strategy so as to avoid mid placed mediocrity like the Bombers and Saints.

Gonna be funny as **** to see them get pumped over the next 2-3 years mind you haha

What's everyones thoughts on Andrew Bassat's comments at the Saints BnF last night? It was an epic whinge and he has a point to some degree when they've been screwed with NGAs like Mac Andrew + Cam Mackenzie however then there's times when they could've drafted the Bont or Cripps but instead selected Billings OR Petracca or Brayshaw and selected McCartin.

At some stage they need to look in the mirror and stop feeling sorry for themselves because with Tassy coming in it could very well get worse.

EDIT: Mac Andrew fas the Dees NGA

They were not screwed in not getting Cam Mackenzie. He was always destined to be the Lord and Saviour of the Hawthorn Football Club.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back