No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

The day after Clayton pays a visit to those flog farmers down Geelong, the Dee's announce that Clay is not going anywhere is surprisingly a excellent move by them. You want him? You pay!!!
While Essendon were trying to experiment with performance enhancing drugs, Melbourne seem to have cottoned on to the novel approach of performance debilitating drugs.

I genuinely believe it IS the hardest sport in the world to umpire - it has umpires completing the same mental gymnastics as ....well artistic gymnastics.

The rules change every year, the interpretations almost every week! The commentators/media and fans backlash seems to have direct impact upon interpretations - certainly how recognisable a player is impacts on decision making (Superstar gets extra time, their OOB was a skill error; whilst unknown is HTB or DOOB); etc.

The umpires have to be inside the players head (deliberate OOB), be metronomic with judging distances at speed from different angles from as far as 50m away; determine whether it's a "push" or just holding their ground; if someone dived or was pushed; if someone ducked or just bending to change direction; etc; etc.

If the rules were written in black and white - IF this, THEN that - it would be a FAR simpler game to umpire.
That's Australian bias at play imo. I don't take issue with it being a very difficult sport to officiate. That's a fact. To say it is the most difficult sport globally is a stretch.

I've gone to AFL games for over 25 years and spent the last 10 years going to MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL games each week. NHL officiating, purely because of the skating alone makes it more complex than umpires running around on a field whether that be NFL or AFL. Also the AFL public seem to think they are the only organisation tinkering with rules each week. It happens in the NFL very regularly. Just last week there was an uptick in illegal formations and record number of penalties because teams weren't briefed.

Tbf I understand why Australians think this because you have 3 to 4 main sports there of which the biggest is AFL which gets dissected to death. This perpetuates the myth that its the worlds most difficult sport to umpire. So there's a little bit of "you don't know what you don't know" about other global sports when it comes to the Aus market.

That's Australian bias at play imo. I don't take issue with it being a very difficult sport to officiate. That's a fact. To say it is the most difficult sport globally is a stretch.

I've gone to AFL games for over 25 years and spent the last 10 years going to MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL games each week. NHL officiating, purely because of the skating alone makes it more complex than umpires running around on a field whether that be NFL or AFL. Also the AFL public seem to think they are the only organisation tinkering with rules each week. It happens in the NFL very regularly. Just last week there was an uptick in illegal formations and record number of penalties because teams weren't briefed.

Tbf I understand why Australians think this because you have 3 to 4 main sports there of which the biggest is AFL which gets dissected to death. This perpetuates the myth that its the worlds most difficult sport to umpire. So there's a little bit of "you don't know what you don't know" about other global sports when it comes to the Aus market.
You are aware that those sports are shown over here.........

not really about difficulty in umpiring but officiating nonetheless. I hate in Aussie rules and soccer that the time left in a game or what part of the season or all these dumb things like oh you wouldn’t want a GF or what not being decided by an interchange infringement or is it really worth a penalty. F*** Me!!!!!! Don’t have it as a rule if you’re worried about that or if you’re paying a free kick at the half way line then if same thing happens in box at the 95th minute of a game call a penalty.
Probably doesn’t make sense but a long day on the beers and big footy aren’t a great match. Plus school holidays over so I’m celebrating

“Best game in the world”
“Most brutal sport in the world”
“Most athletic game in the world”
“Most passionate supporters in sports”
Etc etc
Australian bias everywhere in footy but all sports around the world are like that. We all live in our bubbles.

No difference with “hardest game to umpire in the world”. The reality is it’s a really hard game to umpire, the fact we are constantly frustrated with it and feel they can’t get it right is proof of that. Whether it’s the hardest in the world or not is prob a bit of local bias, but it is bloody hard.

“Best game in the world”
“Most brutal sport in the world”
“Most athletic game in the world”
“Most passionate supporters in sports”
Etc etc
Australian bias everywhere in footy but all sports around the world are like that. We all live in our bubbles.

No difference with “hardest game to umpire in the world”. The reality is it’s a really hard game to umpire, the fact we are constantly frustrated with it and feel they can’t get it right is proof of that. Whether it’s the hardest in the world or not is prob a bit of local bias, but it is bloody hard.
Best game in the world is purely subjective depending on which country you live so I can understand that angle.
Most athletic and brutal is laughable. Not even close.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back