• End of 2017

• End of 2018

• ASAP

• Extend his contract

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Simpson says that the problem was that we were going too hard at it?? :drunk:

I think he means in that scenario described above the you were replying to that the players all look to get hands on the ball at the same time creating situations where all 3 are confused as to who gets it instead of instinctively blocking for the closest player or making space to be an option etc. Everyone just ends up ball watching by being too concerned with it.
Smart players know when to go in and when to hang back when a contest presents. I reckon he worked hard to get this into Priddis' game which is to not dive on the ball as well when there are already players on it just adding another body to the carnage and leaving unchecked opposition players on the outside of the contest.
The amount of loose ball out the back to unchecked Essendon players was pretty bad on Sunday and I think thats what he means. Personally as I said elsewhere its a symptom of having to many "inside" mids trying to change the game the only way they know how. See ball...get ball...oops where did it go.

I think he means in that scenario described above the you were replying to that the players all look to get hands on the ball at the same time creating situations where all 3 are confused as to who gets it instead of instinctively blocking for the closest player or making space to be an option etc. Everyone just ends up ball watching by being too concerned with it.
Smart players know when to go in and when to hang back when a contest presents. I reckon he worked hard to get this into Priddis' game which is to not dive on the ball as well when there are already players on it just adding another body to the carnage and leaving unchecked opposition players on the outside of the contest.
The amount of loose ball out the back to unchecked Essendon players was pretty bad on Sunday and I think thats what he means. Personally as I said elsewhere its a symptom of having to many "inside" mids trying to change the game the only way they know how. See ball...get ball...oops where did it go.
Sounds about right, lack of leadership on field

Cliché after cliché.

Nothing answers really, "We've got to work on that" "We need to get that right" "We need to rectify that" blah blah blah
Not really worried what he says on a TV programme - I would not be venting my frustrations on Fox Footy. Not that effective and sets a bad tone to deliver the message through the media.

Stays on the coach for allowing this to happen ,apparently this is his way to play favourites by letting the leaders influence him ..
Also Watch Petrie come in this week I would bet a million bucks on this ..
And i'll bet your right on that one too;but why why why??

Why is it we can all see the issue yet the coach can't??? Or if he can refuses to address it?
Why is it that we think we know the issue or alternatively the coaches don't or are they are refusing to address it

We're 6-3 ffs. Sure we can play better but we're not a basket case either. More things are being done right than wrong but that seems to be lost behind the pitchforks

Why is it that we think we know the issue or alternatively the coaches don't or are they are refusing to address it

We're 6-3 ffs. Sure we can play better but we're not a basket case either. More things are being done right than wrong but that seems to be lost behind the pitchforks

I think it's fair to say I'm one of the more pro-Simmo posters on here, but I do understand why people are losing faith - even if it's somewhat irrational. Yes we're 6 and 3 - but with the exception of maybe 2 quarters against Sydney, I don't think we've played top-shelf footy at any point this season. We barely did last year barring a burst towards season's end. I get why people are nervous - and, to be honest - my gut feeling is we won't win a flag with this central cohort (ie. Pridda and Kennedy won't see one and Mitchell has seen his last. Nicnat is on the cusp of missing out.)

So, to some extent, I get why faith is slipping. Where I do differ with the hordes is the idea that fault lies with Simmo. I think our list, fundamentally, is deficient - and he hasn't had the draft picks or tenure sufficiently long for that to be laid out as his problem. I also think we need to shine a spotlight on the role that player development and other senior members of the club leadership and ask ourselves whether they're net-positive for the club right now.

I think the fundamental questions to ask of any coach are this:

1. have players improved during his tenure? That's a much harder question to ask our with our group than normal because a) it has gone through a lot of change via trades/delistings and b) it's a very old group now - Drew Petrie isn't going to find football brains he never knew he had at age 412 or whatever he is. I also think there has been some greenshoots of progress there - McGovern, Barrassment Panda, Sheed (I think he's coming good) are three that spring to mind. I also think he's managed to do some good work with players who were hitherto out of sorts - Masten this season is an example, Shepp is a great example, even Wellers to some extent. Redden and Jetta are partial marks against him - but again, the recruitment and list management function has an equal-or-greater share in those ones for mine.

2. is the gameplan meeting the needs of a competitive footy club? This is a difficult one for us to answer. People are quick to forget that he got a patched-up backline to the grand final out of nowhere in relative terms.

I hear the argument that Pike was actually the man pulling the strings behind the curtain, but I struggle to see how any single coach is some sort of coaching Svengali these days. I remember when people used to talk about Eade like he was the messiah - heh. The reality is that the head coach is a people manager of other coaches as much as he is the players. Perhaps there's a better argument to be made about a review of our coaches at large.

One criticism which I think has merit is the lack of a plan B on gameday - there has been times where it has felt like we're stuck in the same gear even though it clearly isn't working. The Richmond game / weather change was a good example of this. I'm inclined, though, to slate this to the list itself. How many of our blokes are truly versatile? I can see our drafting moving in that direction a little bit since Simmo has come to the club - but if you have a chessboard full of knights, it's hard to ask three of them to become bishops halfway through the third-quarter.

Is it time we panic a little bit, even at 6 and 3? Maybe a little. Should that panic be filtered to Simmo? I personally don't think so.

372629_81a8cf7856afd23c0822c9668f0ebd03.jpg

This is what two of our senior players were doing while Tippa was destroying Masten.

Pridda like that bitch waitress who refuses to see you waving your hand for service.

Shard wondering if Eleni wants to go for a drink after the game.

Finally broken up by Large Fraser wandering over and politely asking Tippa to stop.

Our senior players are a joke and it only encourages opposition teams to get physical with us.

Wellers was like " Nah no way not my problem ,You shouldn't have started that Masto your just going to make them angry ."

Priddis was wandering around day dreaming about what it would be like if Naitanui was playing ..

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wellingham is a fair way from that skirmish tbf. Pridda could've made an effort though.

Glad I'm not the only who noticed no one coming to Kurt after he was slung like a ragdoll over the boundary. Pathetic.

Happy that he admitted we're having to win games from the back half, without NN. As a few have said, it's a necessary problem for us to be (attempting to) work through.

A few people on BF have begged for two bigs only in the back line.A comment above states we made a GF with a patched up backline albeit a small mobile one; as soon as Wellingham got the ball he was off;quick quick quick .Now Butler gets the ball stops.. has a bit of a look around then chips sideways to the boundary line,progress stopped!!! .Last week against the Bullies the commentaters were slagging the Bullies for bombing the ball long to our High marking backmen and said the way to beat the Eagles was to lower the eyes and short pass around those high marking defenders.Lo and behold Essendon cut us to pieces.Is it coincidence that the Hawks have done the same thing to us for years.Is the Web dead??Mobility and speed seem all the go!

Simmo is a great coach, he has made a structure that has controlled fast moving footy. The issue I have is the side that is chosen week after week. Yes I know they are all champs for our side but Lecca, masto, Pridda, Butler need to move on. If we don't get game time into our young boys we will hit a wall in the next couple of years when our older players do retire.

The reality is, all the best of most successful coaches have never, ever been afraid to make the tough calls. If someone isnt pulling their weight, they pay the price at the selection table. A message is sent that this standard is unacceptable. They are held to account and to a high standard. Hell, look at luke beverage recently, he dropped stringer on the eve of the finals and tom liberatore is playing in the vfl.

Until Simpsons has the stones to do this, even though he's a decent coach, we are dead in the water. There is a core group of senior players who are all nigh undroppable and it sends a terrible message. I thought Simpsons excuse last year that mark le cras was immune to getting dropped because he had "credits in the bank" stunk to high hell and sent a terrible message to the playing group. This would be completely unacceptable under a truly elite coach.

He's good Simpson, but until he can make the big calls and big decisions, he will never be great

The reality is, all the best of most successful coaches have never, ever been afraid to make the tough calls. If someone isnt pulling their weight, they pay the price at the selection table. A message is sent that this standard is unacceptable. They are held to account and to a high standard. Hell, look at luke beverage recently, he dropped stringer on the eve of the finals and tom liberatore is playing in the vfl.

Until Simpsons has the stones to do this, even though he's a decent coach, we are dead in the water. There is a core group of senior players who are all nigh undroppable and it sends a terrible message. I thought Simpsons excuse last year that mark le cras was immune to getting dropped because he had "credits in the bank" stunk to high hell and sent a terrible message to the playing group. This would be completely unacceptable under a truly elite coach.

He's good Simpson, but until he can make the big calls and big decisions, he will never be great

I dont know why you blokes are so worried;Petrie is coming back!!! Alls well with the world!!Drop Mutimer who has shown a lot of promise,drop Mcinnes who has shown promise but leave in Cripps,Lecras and Priddis who had shockers!Of course its at home and with the "mommas boys " tag hanging over us we are going to come out swinging.AAhhhhhhh! another win at home!As long as we make top eight i keep my job! Welcome to North Melbourne Mark 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back