• End of 2018

• ASAP

• Extend his contract

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
MAJOR coaching issues is obvious.

How its possible to have two highly mobile tall targets and both of them great defensive players - and still we cant keep the ball locked in our forward half ffs??

How many times do our smallish forwards need to see balls bombed to the top of the square punched forward into space about 25 30m straight in front before the penny drops that that is where they need to be?? Are our coaches even watching the same game?

And don't get me started on the inability to block, work and otherwise execute 1%ers for the advantage of teammates. What the hell was going on with our stop plays? What structures? What set ups and system? Cripps an automatic selection coming off a month out of footy? Jettaforbrown? Lecras to the midfield?
I think this is a direct result of having too many slow midfielders who are poor defensively, they aren't quick enough to pressure the opposition on the way out.

I think this is a direct result of having too many slow midfielders who are poor defensively, they aren't quick enough to pressure the opposition on the way out.

Nor are they good enough to go forward and be part time crumbers which to me is still an issue. Josh Hill is our best (and only?) opportunistic crumber we have.

Nor are they good enough to go forward and be part time crumbers which to me is still an issue. Josh Hill is our best (and only?) opportunistic crumber we have.
For the last three weeks this has been glaringly obvious. Ball comes to ground and the opposition take a leisurely stroll out of our 50

Agreed our midfield is pathetic but that's not a leave pass for forwards not contesting the fall of the ball. Stuck out like dogs balls on the weekend. Because our mids were getting thrashed, so much footy was being bombed to the top of the square. Of course this is bread an butter for a spoiling defender but our smaller forwards seemed to have no comprehension what next (even though it was bleeding obvious)? For the love of god you HAVE to be able to at least be in a position to force a scrimmage and allow the rest of the team to set up behind. It was so pathetic and shit coaching that they could just walk it out time and again. And its not as though it hasn't been a feature of all our loss's this past decade.

Agreed our midfield is pathetic but that's not a leave pass for forwards not contesting the fall of the ball. Stuck out like dogs balls on the weekend. Because our mids were getting thrashed, so much footy was being bombed to the top of the square. Of course this is bread an butter for a spoiling defender but our smaller forwards seemed to have no comprehension what next? For the love of god you HAVE to be able to at least be in a position to force a scrimmage and allow the rest of the team to set up behind. Its was so pathetic and shit coaching that they could just walk it out time and again. And its not as though it hasn't been a feature of all our loss's this past decade.
Oh yeh, agree with you on the fall of the ball thing, it's like none of our forwards have any instinct for crumbing the ball at all apart from Hill who obviously didn't play.

Oh yeh, agree with you on the fall of the ball thing, it's like none of our forwards have any instinct for crumbing the ball at all apart from Hill who obviously didn't play.

I think its also a bit because we're having to send our half forwards up to the midfield because we're being beaten so badly, that if a quick kick comes out of the pack they cant get back to the fall of the ball in the forward line.

I think its also a bit because we're having to send our half forwards up to the midfield because we're being beaten so badly, that if a quick kick comes out of the pack they cant get back to the fall of the ball in the forward line.
Yeh this is true, we seem to bomb it to our talls when they're on their own quite often with no chance of a small getting back to the contest to help.

It is time to make some tough calls on guys like Lecras. It's all happy days when he kicks 4 goals a game. But no one can maintain that game in game out. So you look at his other attributes in the game and assess him on that. Does he really tick all the boxes?? assists?? tackling??? crumbing??? vision?? 1%'s?? creating space?? unselfishness( lol) I do not think so. So why is he untouchable?? is there any harm to try Karpany?? off the bat, he is faster than lecras, he will chase more, he would crumb better. He will be hungrier. So it is not rocket science to give the kid ago.Lecras is one of our champs and I like him, but AFL is not a popularity contest, you either keep up the standard or you are dropped.

It is time to make some tough calls on guys like Lecras. It's all happy days when he kicks 4 goals a game. But no one can maintain that game in game out. So you look at his other attributes in the game and assess him on that. Does he really tick all the boxes?? assists?? tackling??? crumbing??? vision?? 1%'s?? creating space?? unselfishness( lol) I do not think so. So why is he untouchable?? is there any harm to try Karpany?? off the bat, he is faster than lecras, he will chase more, he would crumb better. He will be hungrier. So it is not rocket science to give the kid ago.Lecras is one of our champs and I like him, but AFL is not a popularity contest, you either keep up the standard or you are dropped.

Karpany is not really a forward though Nima, he's a midfielder primarily. We just tried to turn him into a small forward because thats what we do, we take back flankers and try to turn them into mids, and small mids and tell them they're now small forwards instead of just recruiting players who are used to those roles.

Hopefully Willie drops the weight and gets into the team soon, how does he go defensively though?
He won't lose much more weight but should still easily make this team within a few weeks. His defensive pressure is good as far as i know. I saw an interview he did a while back where he talked about how he loves to pressure defensively

He won't lose much more weight but should still easily make this team within a few weeks. His defensive pressure is good as far as i know. I saw an interview he did a while back where he talked about how he loves to pressure defensively
I thought he'd reportedly put on a bit the last few weeks while he was injured based on what everyone was saying on here the other day.
Good to hear on the defensive pressure, keen to get him the side once he can run out a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simmo needs to acknowledge that we are not premiership material.If hes happy to just play finals every year and protect his job well and good;a couple more years and we'll boot him.This year is a golden opportunity to sort the wheat from the chaff.Even if Lycett and NN came back they would both be badly underdone.Try some young enthusiastic kids in the forward line."oh we are waiting for Rioli".You'll die waiting.Try somebody else.Look at the Bullies for inspiration.Somebodys out?Too bad!! Next!Have faith in your list. Instead of being shackled at EP they will be in the big time and guaranteed a few games to get settled.Why do we keep going back to the Cripps,the Butlers,the Petries? Yes they have bigger battle hardened bodies but it show a distinctive lack of confidence and flair on our coaches behalf.Get some mongrel into our assistant coaches. The Eagles..The Nice club!!

We have all seen our manic pressure before, where guys start to look to the next link in the opposition chain before they even have it, plus at least one person going for the man with the ball if not two to be sure. Always trying to intercept the air ball and cut off kicks or even handballs (looking at you Hill whytf was he dropped ???) Guarding the mark well. Pretty much everyone moving at some sort of pace instead of ball watching. I don't think its Simpsons entire fault, its our players who pick and choose their efforts.

We have all seen our manic pressure before, where guys start to look to the next link in the opposition chain before they even have it, plus at least one person going for the man with the ball if not two to be sure. Always trying to intercept the air ball and cut off kicks or even handballs (looking at you Hill whytf was he dropped ???) Guarding the mark well. Pretty much everyone moving at some sort of pace instead of ball watching. I don't think its Simpsons entire fault, its our players who pick and choose their efforts.
Have we??? really?? Manic pressure to me is 85-90 plus tackles or close to that consistently. even if we are wining. We are crap in that area, so manic pressure doesnt exists. If we come out one game with 100 tackles this year I will be happy.

He has come out and stated that we're an average side. He has said that our difference between our best and our worst is not up to scratch. I think he knows where they're at but this season is still open as far as I can see.
Yes but each time we get rolled he says crap like we've talked it through and weve moved on.

Paul Roos as head of coaching. Simmo needs experience. He probably also needs a better tactician as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back