Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't likely, but one would think that because of the go home factor, Adelaide would be into Hately and could take him at 8. Bailey Smith could go to the dogs, but if Smith still around I reckon they'll go for him with the troubles they've had with big players. Boyd mental health, Roughead gone, Campbell couldn't make it, English still very young. Toss up between Smith and King for them. Then we wait and see if he falls.
If King got to us, we could work very hard to coax big Max from the Saints. If they don't pick up over the next 2 years, I reckon a lot of see you later will be happening for them.
Would love Smith though because we haven't had a real handsome factor since Jimmy retired. More women as members would be a good thing. Smith runs hard both ways which we have lacked.
Would love to see Smith, Parfitt, Cockatoo, Menegola, (Kelly??), Constable, Narkle, Fogarty running the middle in 3 years time. Danger up forward for his last couple of seasons
I would also like to see Ratagolea taking my old number (and Doug Wade if you want our second best number 23 in the conversation) and kicking the pants off the goals. Another hundred goalkicker in the 23. I reckon this will become more possible with the positioning to start next year. The Dangerfield bomb could become more effective.
We'll change the names to Ratagoalea and Menegoala
I see the Dogs going for one of Smith, King or Caldwell at 7.

I can see Caldwell as high as 6 to the GC but I reckon he goes at 9 to GWS.

Twomey suggesting WB prefer Caldwell at 7 and if that go Caldwell, Twomey reckons Smith to Cats at 12.

That would be Joel Selwood sliding from top 3 to 7 HUGE.

Smith will be a Callan Ward / Travis Boak type tough run and carry player that will set us up. Much better than anyone else being suggested at 12 and would be a dream come true for us.

Could be:

1. Walsh
2. Luko
3. Rankine
4. King
5. King
6. Rozee
7. Caldwell
8. Jones
9. Clark
10. Hately
11. RCD / Butters
12. Smith

I see the Dogs going for one of Smith, King or Caldwell at 7.

I can see Caldwell as high as 6 to the GC but I reckon he goes at 9 to GWS.
Most likely scenario
1. Walsh
2. Lekosius
3. Rankine
4. M.King
5. Rozee
6. B.King
7. B.Smith
8. Hately
9. Caldwell
10. Butters
11. Clark
12. Jones/Sturt

But if Carlton throw a loop and put Rankine in at 1

1. Rankine
2. Lekosius
3. Rozee
4. M.King
5. B.King
6 Caldwell
7. Walsh
8. Geelong give future first and 12 for pick 8 B.Smith
9. Butters
10. Clark
11. Jones
12. Hately

Adelaide get the same player, we get a future star

Twomey suggesting WB prefer Caldwell at 7 and if that go Caldwell, Twomey reckons Smith to Cats at 12.

Smith will be a Callan Ward / Travis Boak type tough run and carry player that will set us up. Much better than anyone else being suggested at 12 and would be a dream come true for us.

Could be:

1. Walsh
2. Luko
3. Rankine
4. King
5. King
6. Rozee
7. Caldwell
8. Jones
9. Clark
10. Hately
11. RCD / Butters
12. Smith
I like that top 12.

Clark would go at 11 to GWS instead of RCD.

Probably wrong, but Clark may be the one that could get through to us. Assuming the mail re Jones going top 10 is correct then we only need one more player taken earlier than expected for us to get our hands on one of the more highly rated kids.

Probably wrong, but Clark may be the one that could get through to us. Assuming the mail re Jones going top 10 is correct then we only need one more player taken earlier than expected for us to get our hands on one of the more highly rated kids.
The draft is an inexact science.

Every recruiter would have a different big board and I imagine it would differ wildly from the media and posters like us.

Wells might consider RCD, Butters, Jones etc higher than Caldwell, Clark, Hately etc.

Lukosius and Rankine have both been touted as once in a generation talents, yet Walsh just had one of the most decorated junior careers of all time and is a lock to go number one.

Ben King just had a great season and yet is most likely to be drafted after his injured brother.

Max King is a lock for pick 4 IMO but if Ben King is not selected at 5 or 7 he might make it to 12.

Similarly, Bailey Smith is the main competition for M.King at 4 but might make it to 12, if he makes it past 6 and 7.

Caldwell might go at 6,7,9 or 11 IMO.

Jones might go at 6,8,9,10 or 11 IMO.

Hately might go 6,8,9,10,11,12,13 or 16.

I can see RCD as high as 9 and as low as 17.

Walsh
Lukosius
Rankine
M.King
Rozee
Caldwell
B.King
Jones
RCD
Hately
Clark
Smith
Valente
Hill

Or

Walsh
Lukosius
Rankine
M.King
Rozee
Smith
Caldwell
Jones
RCD
Hately
Clark
B.King
Valente
Hill

Long time reader and very few posts from me but had to jump in. It seems a fait accompli that the Cats get Brownless. I'm not convinced he’s worth getting. Check out the following stats on him from AFL Draft Central.

“In the pre-season, Brownless ran the 20m sprint in 3.287, one of the slowest recorded, and for a midfielder, it was quite poor. Along with his speed, his kicking is the other area that could be sharpened up, with Brownless running at 40.7 per cent efficiency by foot at the National Under 18 Championships, and 48.3 per cent in the TAC Cup. About 15.4 per cent of his kicks were clangers.”

So he’s slow and a very poor kick ... I have my concerns.

Long time reader and very few posts from me but had to jump in. It seems a fait accompli that the Cats get Brownless. I'm not convinced he’s worth getting. Check out the following stats on him from AFL Draft Central.

“In the pre-season, Brownless ran the 20m sprint in 3.287, one of the slowest recorded, and for a midfielder, it was quite poor. Along with his speed, his kicking is the other area that could be sharpened up, with Brownless running at 40.7 per cent efficiency by foot at the National Under 18 Championships, and 48.3 per cent in the TAC Cup. About 15.4 per cent of his kicks were clangers.”

Yep. Rookie only

Could be:

1. Walsh
2. Luko
3. Rankine
4. King
5. King
6. Rozee
7. Caldwell
8. Jones
9. Clark
10. Hately
11. RCD / Butters
12. Smith

Surely GWS won't pass on Smith they have a good record keeping vic metro players.

In that scenario we need to try and live trade for 9 though if Smith is there.

Most likely scenario
1. Walsh
2. Lekosius
3. Rankine
4. M.King
5. Rozee
6. B.King
7. B.Smith
8. Hately
9. Caldwell
10. Butters
11. Clark
12. Jones/Sturt

But if Carlton throw a loop and put Rankine in at 1

1. Rankine
2. Lekosius
3. Rozee
4. M.King
5. B.King
6 Caldwell
7. Walsh
8. Geelong give future first and 12 for pick 8 B.Smith
9. Butters
10. Clark
11. Jones
12. Hately

Adelaide get the same player, we get a future star

Too much to pay for Pick 8 without something coming back to us. Rate Smith though.

Might sound harsh but I honestly think he would go undrafted if his surname wasnt Brownless, screams a bloke you punt on on the rookie list to me.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Main strength of Brownless is his endurance and probably why he can get away with his obvious flaws, Top 5 in the Yo-Yo and 2k Time Trial at the combine.

He has trained a lot in house .. so the club will have benchmarked real world far more astutely than just off the back of the combine... I'm confident the club will not over pay for him

Good thing about brownless being father/son is we don’t have to pay for him until someone else puts in a bid, and if no one else rates him we can use our last pick.

Do we still have priority on him if he slides through to the rookie draft?

Good thing about brownless being father/son is we don’t have to pay for him until someone else puts in a bid, and if no one else rates him we can use our last pick.

Do we still have priority on him if he slides through to the rookie draft?

If he is overlooked in the national draft we can just add him to rookie list with our last pick in that draft.

I would be astounded if he goes that high but it will be a great test case. As a player with limited speed and spread but great inside ball winning and unbelievable foot skills it will be interesting to see if he makes it and what he does in his career.

The success of Jack Graham and James Worpel in the past two seasons leads me to believe these types will no longer slide down the order.

Wells has shown a propensity to use new opportunities in the past. I'd be surprised if he doesn't at least try to live trade during the evening. Really hope he is able to nab GWS pick 9. That would guarantee us a very good player.

Could not agree more. He seems to be able to take advantage of these situations whilst other clubs are still working them out. Mature age players are teh perfect example. He has been way ahead of the game with those.

The success of Jack Graham and James Worpel in the past two seasons leads me to believe these types will no longer slide down the order.
I said last year that I would take Worpel as high as 12.

People might knock Valente but he'll probably be playing seniors next year and making a difference while upside players are coming to terms with the magoos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back