Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turbocat I’d love to get your opinion on Hatelys kicking. To me his kicking looks loopy and really lacks penetration. He looks good other than that though.

Why are you so convinced?

None of us can guarantee anything IMO.

Because I work a bit in the industry and deal with a lot of recruiters over here, State coaches ect and he just isn't rated that highly and there are bigger question marks over his pace and spread than most other kids around the late teens have over any aspect of their game.

Turbocat I’d love to get your opinion on Hatelys kicking. To me his kicking looks loopy and really lacks penetration. He looks good other than that though.

He definitley isn't a good kick. He would be average I would say but Corey was an ordinary kick when he got to Geelong. He still hits targets and kicks goals so not a big flaw.

Because I work a bit in the industry and deal with a lot of recruiters over here, State coaches ect and he just isn't rated that highly and there are bigger question marks over his pace and spread than most other kids around the late teens have over any aspect of their game.
It's awesome that you get to do that but it isn't AFL insider stuff.

We'll have to see what happens on draft night.

There are no guarantees.

He definitley isn't a good kick. He would be average I would say but Corey was an ordinary kick when he got to Geelong. He still hits targets and kicks goals so not a big flaw.
Thanks mate - there has to be a reason he isn’t considered a definite top 10. Pass IMO.

excluding the in play stuff .. the setshot he has on the draft machine..is not the worst I have seen ..but not the best either. he leans back a tad but seems to keep some upper body forward. Id say he is adequate by foot but its not a weapon of his.... but again.. limited data. In that he has been talked about in respect of JC..id say his kicking was never his strength either.

Taking him at pick 6

I never mentioned 6 , it was a comment in respect of V or XOH (with Pure i think) ..They have a lot of picks into the 20's and if they take sa boys with some early picks.. he would be a good add later if you believe in the theory ..keeping a group of players together to help them settle.. etc.

So in that respect..id be surprised to se him drafted R1..
but as we have seen before occasionally ..it only takes one club.

No only is Hately a poor kick from a technical point of view he is also a poor decision making when under any pressure and likes to just throw the ball onto the boot when he hears footsteps.

Valente Is a beautiful kick of the football but not much else. I see him in the mid 20s.

What about Mitch podhajski late? 23 goals in 12 games. Big body midfielder. Good in the vfl as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interested to see how Wells spreads the picks between youth and mature. Reckon he goes youth with pick 12 and Brownless along with 2 mature age mids in the National Draft and also splits the rookie selections in age as well.

Interested to see how Wells spreads the picks between youth and mature. Reckon he goes youth with pick 12 and Brownless along with 2 mature age mids in the National Draft and also splits the rookie selections in age as well.

I don’t think we will take one mature aged player in the ND. Maybe in the rookie draft.

I don’t think we will take one mature aged player in the ND. Maybe in the rookie draft.

I heard him in an interview earlier this year say the club has come around to the idea of picking guys that have done their development at senior level already like Tim Kelly, instead of drafting all kids and seeing them ply their trade in the VFL for 3 years.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/fed0b035e5482fd13b98537578ea559a

49. TOM ATKINS
Midfielder, 180cm, 85kg, Geelong VFL

Buckenara says: Geelong has a history of drafting or rookie-listing players out of their VFL side and this year it could be Atkins. The Geelong captain finished the year among the VFL’s top 10 players for handballs, contested possessions, score assists, hard ball gets and clearances and impressively, he also led the VFL for tackles. He won his second Cats best and fairest award in three years (he was runner-up in 2017) this year and is a really competitive player who has the ability to hit the scoreboard when breaking out of congestion in the forward half. His VFL form will stand up at the AFL level and at 23 years of age, he offers plenty to a club in need of this type of player. Don’t be surprised to see Geelong to snap him up.

Plays like: Rory Sloane (Adelaide)

Very interesting to see him in Gary top 50 in this years draft.. Have been saying all along we should pick him up. Even had Collingwood VFL Marty Hore just above him.

I heard him in an interview earlier this year say the club has come around to the idea of picking guys that have done their development at senior level already like Tim Kelly, instead of drafting all kids and seeing them ply their trade in the VFL for 3 years.

One can see the logic , picking players under developed means a long lead time and you may come up with zip but I suspect it also contributes a bit to our general vibe of lacking class etc. Lets face it ..most of the time finding a mature thats ready to play is more likely to be a good ordinary rather than a Stewart or Kelly... they have been passed over for reasons that may now not be an issue but rarely have they suddenly become players worthy of R1 picks. We will see the gem we pick this year...if we go mature again. If we do go that way that I think its fair to expect immediate impact.

One can see the logic , picking players under developed means a long lead time and you may come up with zip but I suspect it also contributes a bit to our general vibe of lacking class etc. Lets face it ..most of the time finding a mature thats ready to play is more likely to be a good ordinary rather than a Stewart or Kelly... they have been passed over for reasons that may now not be an issue but rarely have they suddenly become players worthy of R1 picks. We will see the gem we pick this year...if we go mature again. If we do go that way that I think its fair to expect immediate impact.
As mentioned Atkins is a good pick but we'll probably get him in the rookie draft IMO.

Marlon Pickett would also be a great shout at 50 or 51 in the ND.

It's a risk but aren't they all?

I think our pick 12 ends up as 13 after a Blakey bid at 7 by the WB or 9 or 11 by GWS.

I would not be surprised to see Thomas and Quaynor bid on earlier than expected.

Kelly, Scott and Briggs will also attract bids in the second round IMO.

Our 50 and 51 will come into the 44 and 45 ball park IMO.

Players mentioned in this thread who I like.

12. B.King/B.Smith/RCD/B.Williams

44. Stack/Idun/Bytel/Pickett/Gown

45. Stack/Idun/Bytel/Pickett/Gown

F/S O.Brownless

Just watched the highlights of Jordan Clark, is he any chance of lasting to our pick? If he's not a 250 game player not sure I've seen one for an u/18 kid. Fast, tough, strong, aggressive attack on the game, nice kick, I'm sold! Will be dominating some half back line in a few years.

The other guys that do interest me with later picks:

-> Fraser Turner - still quite young, 187cm, elite running, can accumulate, can go by foot, outside midfielder similar to a Mitch Duncan

-> Noah Gown - ideal replacement for Menzel, proven goal-kicker, loves to provide forward pressure, excellent contested mark.

-> Hugo Munn - ideal replacement for Hawkins, looks a real bull, seems to be in the shadow of the SA stars, could be a bargain. Could free-up SavRat to be a ruckman.

-> Tom McKenzie - can read the flight of the ball in marking contests, fast, can distribute by foot, seems like his body will develop, could compliment the list nicely.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/fed0b035e5482fd13b98537578ea559a

49. TOM ATKINS
Midfielder, 180cm, 85kg, Geelong VFL

Buckenara says: Geelong has a history of drafting or rookie-listing players out of their VFL side and this year it could be Atkins. The Geelong captain finished the year among the VFL’s top 10 players for handballs, contested possessions, score assists, hard ball gets and clearances and impressively, he also led the VFL for tackles. He won his second Cats best and fairest award in three years (he was runner-up in 2017) this year and is a really competitive player who has the ability to hit the scoreboard when breaking out of congestion in the forward half. His VFL form will stand up at the AFL level and at 23 years of age, he offers plenty to a club in need of this type of player. Don’t be surprised to see Geelong to snap him up.

Plays like: Rory Sloane (Adelaide)

Very interesting to see him in Gary top 50 in this years draft.. Have been saying all along we should pick him up. Even had Collingwood VFL Marty Hore just above him.

I think we will pick him up but more likely as a rookie.

Atkins is a good insurance policy but I dont see how he improves our 22 tbh, would prefer we look elsewhere if drafting a mature ager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back