Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wells has been quoted saying that? Interesting. I think they’ve indicated to him that his opportunities may be dwindling next year...
I think he keeps Constable out of the team.
Big body, slow, ball gatherer.
Maybe they are opening up the opportunity for Constable to thrive and stay at the club for the duration.
Menegola a FA next year, we should get something for him now. Might bring us in a young talent. Get a pick in the early 20s for him and we could put two of the picks together to go up the order. What would 17 and an early 20s pick get you? What would an early 20s and 36 get you?
Sam has been a trooper for the Cats, but if we got a good mid in the draft, our midfield would be more dynamic with youth surging through it
For example
Flanders, Kemp, Cockatoo, Constable, Miers, Clark, Parfitt, Narkle, Fogarty, Parsons, Simpson
to go with Danger, Selwood, Duncan, Guthrie, Steven
Maybe even get Bennell as a rookie
In defense with Henry, O'Connor, Blicavs, Stewart, Kolo, as kids
to go with Taylor, Tuohy
Forward line Cockatoo, Kemp, Miers, Riccardi, Ratagolea
To go with Ablett, Dahlhaus, Hawkins, Rohan
We are starting to have the shape of a future team while still contending
Could play Danger forward more to give us penetration

A team that looks like

O'Connor Blicavs Kolo
Stewart Taylor Henry
Cockatoo Duncan Clark
Dahlhaus Hawkins Dangerfield
Rohan Ratagolea Miers
Stanley Flanders Steven
Selwood, Ablett, Constable Narkle
EM Parfitt, Tuohy, Guthrie, Atkins Kreuger, Kemp, Fogarty, Simpson Bennell, Riccardi Zuthrie, Parsons Brownless, Kennerly etc

Looks a more vital team

I think he keeps Constable out of the team.
Big body, slow, ball gatherer.
Maybe they are opening up the opportunity for Constable to thrive and stay at the club for the duration.
Menegola a FA next year, we should get something for him now. Might bring us in a young talent. Get a pick in the early 20s for him and we could put two of the picks together to go up the order. What would 17 and an early 20s pick get you? What would an early 20s and 36 get you?
Sam has been a trooper for the Cats, but if we got a good mid in the draft, our midfield would be more dynamic with youth surging through it
For example
Flanders, Kemp, Cockatoo, Constable, Miers, Clark, Parfitt, Narkle, Fogarty, Parsons, Simpson
to go with Danger, Selwood, Duncan, Guthrie, Steven
Maybe even get Bennell as a rookie
In defense with Henry, O'Connor, Blicavs, Stewart, Kolo, as kids
to go with Taylor, Tuohy
Forward line Cockatoo, Kemp, Miers, Riccardi, Ratagolea
To go with Ablett, Dahlhaus, Hawkins, Rohan
We are starting to have the shape of a future team while still contending
Could play Danger forward more to give us penetration

A team that looks like

O'Connor Blicavs Kolo
Stewart Taylor Henry
Cockatoo Duncan Clark
Dahlhaus Hawkins Dangerfield
Rohan Ratagolea Miers
Stanley Flanders Steven
Selwood, Ablett, Constable Narkle
EM Parfitt, Tuohy, Guthrie, Atkins Kreuger, Kemp, Fogarty, Simpson Bennell, Riccardi Zuthrie, Parsons Brownless, Kennerly etc

Looks a more vital team

Getting both Flanders and Kemp would be a great result. Wouldn’t complain.

sounds a bit like we were talking about

Hes a solid mid tier role player. You dont give them away but you dont pay overs to keep them either. So we are probably happy to keep him on the right $. Also if webring in an FA next year we lose any compo for Menegola anyway so the club may have granted him permission to look around rather than wait 12 months.

What about we hit the sun's up for
15 & 20 & 58
For 17, 24 37 and Z Smith

Leaves us with 14 15 20 36
Isn't the talk about wanting to trade up to try and get a top 10 pick?

Not sure they'll be looking at trades that only boost our position by 2 & 4 draft spots - and considering it's unlikely that we'll use pick 58, I don't understand why they'd consider that in a deal

Hes a solid mid tier role player. You dont give them away but you dont pay overs to keep them either. So we are probably happy to keep him on the right $. Also if webring in an FA next year we lose any compo for Menegola anyway so the club may have granted him permission to look around rather than wait 12 months.
Slightly off the above topic, but is there a list of the 2020 FA?

I think I tried a search the other night and couldn't find anything official

Yeah a couple of mids is regulation picking but a tall All - Aust def/fwd like DeKoning with a P36 would be a terrific list inclusion and great drafting imo.
A specific need pick at P36 if we're lucky.
Can't remember if it was you, but it was mentioned somewhere in the 20-40 range.
An All-Australian starting fullback at the top of that range would be a bargain.
Then we've still got a reasonable pick to use on a good 20's slider.

De Koning is a sensational mover for his size. Really impressed me when I saw him live this year. No sure about how competitive he is. Not to say he isn't at all but just not sure. If he is then he looks a very very likely type.

Isn't the talk about wanting to trade up to try and get a top 10 pick?

Not sure they'll be looking at trades that only boost our position by 2 & 4 draft spots - and considering it's unlikely that we'll use pick 58, I don't understand why they'd consider that in a deal
I don't see the point of selling the farm for one player in an even draft. Those picks should get us a few decent kids

De Koning is a sensational mover for his size. Really impressed me when I saw him live this year. No sure about how competitive he is. Not to say he isn't at all but just not sure. If he is then he looks a very very likely type.

I'm not sure, but maybe he's a type that might get ignored in favour of mids and smalls long enough for us to get lucky with P36.
Or we use the P24.
Sometimes these tall guys get overlooked till the 30s a la Sam Taylor.

Most of the kids draft have ability ...do they have that something special to separate them from the clammering hoard all striving for their chance. Its like Simpson... maybe he gets a chance if we have a few less mature type in our side... but we bring in a Steven or two ..and he probably has another hurdle to jump. So Jarvis and Kennerly ..where do they fit ..

He needs a solid group of games to clarify ... yes or no

I just can't quite see it happening for Simpson. Neat player, almost a bit like a modern Shannon Byrnes really - might slot into a very specific role if he is lucky but I think his opportunities will continue to be limited and then gonski - no shame in that, he's played more AFL than I ever did.

Jarvis and Kennerly I have barely seen apart from the odd highlight, but I wonder how picks #48 & #50 will stack-up long-term in comparison with #36 & #37 in this year's reportedly weak draft.

What about we hit the sun's up for
15 & 20 & 58
For 17, 24 37 and Z Smith

Leaves us with 14 15 20 36

yeah I don't mind that creepin' up the order approach - I'd hope Wells and crew are prioritising a great leap up into the top #10, but failing that, this kind of creative deal would be fine with me (particularly with your use of Smith as an example - hey, he is a Foundation Suns player!)..

I don't see the point of selling the farm for one player in an even draft. Those picks should get us a few decent kids

I guess it just seems more of a draft night type trade because the #1 target is still available, rather than pre-draft trade - what Wells & co would ask themselves is if the player/s they'd most want at 15 & 20 are still likely to be there at 17 & 24, is there a benefit to the trade?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much as a I was saying... we have to make a few brave calls ..it easy to keep him

I just can't quite see it happening for Simpson. Neat player, almost a bit like a modern Shannon Byrnes really - might slot into a very specific role if he is lucky but I think his opportunities will continue to be limited and then gonski - no shame in that, he's played more AFL than I ever did.

Jarvis and Kennerly I have barely seen apart from the odd highlight, but I wonder how picks #48 & #50 will stack-up long-term in comparison with #36 & #37 in this year's reportedly weak draft.

Id like to see him get a shot ... Simpson was a slow build ..but it does have to happen soon or he we just get over taken..

Id like to see him get a shot ... Simpson was a slow build ..but it does have to happen soon or he we just get over taken..

Simpson?
Doesn't look good imo; 6 games as a 21 yo; Brandan Parfitt has chalked up 54 at a similar age - I just can't see a role for him in the senior team moving forward. Happy for him to prove me wrong, but pretty confident he won't.

What do you think of Croweater pair Jarvis and Kennerly moving forward Turbo; seen enough of either to take a stab?

Simpson?
Doesn't look good imo; 6 games as a 21 yo; Brandan Parfitt has chalked up 54 at a similar age - I just can't see a role for him in the senior team moving forward. Happy for him to prove me wrong, but pretty confident he won't.

What do you think of Croweater pair Jarvis and Kennerly moving forward Turbo; seen enough of either to take a stab?

Kennerly did a few nice things and Jarvis was very underdeveloped... but no obvious mistake has been made at what they were drafted at..

Its up to the clubs to sort the real chances... or we will waste games on too many dry wells.. 21 and 6 games yes it looks ordinary .. we will see if he gets a bank of games if he has something.. either way it will be something to think about next year.. all these young kids come in and go past him..then it will nt look good for him or them ... as I think next year we will bring in a mature player or two ..perhaps FA.

Have thought about our list as a whole, and what our de-listing/trading will look like (based on Wells' comments, outside interest, comments on here and in the media etc.) and this is what I've got so far:

Reckon that as of Round 1 next year, we could have up to 9 players replaced out of the prelim side from last year. Taylor will be kept as depth, while Hendo is moved on. We showed early on in the year that we were balanced down back without him or Hendo, so hopefully during the review they recognize that he doesn't need to play every game.

OUT: Henderson, Parfitt, Atkins, Tuohy, Bews, Narkle, Menegola, Kelly, Taylor

IN: Hawkins, Duncan, Constable, Kreuger, Clark, Rohan, High draft pick like Flanders, and Steven or Cockatoo (depending on if they're available/even at Geelong in Steven's case)

Changes our side from this:

B: Stewart, Taylor, Bews
HB: Tuohy, Kolo, Henry
C: Parfitt, Selwood, Blicavs (lol)
FO: Stanley, Dangerfield, Kelly
HF: Dahlhaus, Ratugolea, Ablett
F: Miers, Henderson, Atkins
INT: O'Connor, Guthrie, Menegola, Narkle

To this (best side if everyone is available, we get a top 10 draft pick like Flanders or similar/Steven comes in and gets back to even half of what his best is):

B: O'Connor, Blicavs, Henry
HB: Stewart, Kolo, Clark
C: Duncan, Constable, Guthrie
FO: Stanley, Dangerfield, Steven
HF: Dahlhaus, Hawkins, Ablett
F: Miers, Ratugolea, Rohan
INT: Cockatoo, Selwood, Kreuger, Top 10 draft pick, i.e. Flanders

EMG: Parfitt, Taylor, Atkins, Tuohy

Bolded highlight the changes, which takes an alright looking side, to something pretty special. Reckon Menegola gets traded, given where he falls in the pecking order. If he stays, then he won't play every game.

**********************************************************************************************************

This might be what our de-listing/trading looks like when all is said and done:

De-list/trade/place on rookie list (speculative): Cunico, Jones, Henderson, Menegola, Scooter, Kelly, Smith, Future 2nd (for Steven) Pick 17, Future 1st (Eagles pick to trade up order) - Buzza on rookie list (8 spots avail.)

Trade in/draft/rookie upgrade (speculative): Steven, Pick 5-9, Pick 14, Pick 24, Pick 36, Pick 37, Zuthrie, Simpson (8 spots filled)

********************************************************************************************************

All highly highly speculative, but that seems to me like a snapshot of what we could expect. I'm actually warming up to the idea of only getting one top 10 pick, and drafting with the rest. Robertson would be a good get (and would really peeve the Weagles to no end, haha - little bit of payback).

Hopefully we end up drafting any of these 4 players with a top 10 pick: D. Stephens/Ash/Flanders/Kemp. Then we get any of these 5 with the remaining picks: Jackson, Sharp, Taheny, Robertson, C. Stephens. That would be an almighty haul.

Will be very interesting to see how Wells play this. Because as I see it, there is absolutely no way that we can get away with getting rid of any less than 8 players off the main list, if we want to spread the picks. If we trade up and only have 3 picks, then it's possible Henderson or Menegola stay.

Bring on next week/trade night, so we can see what the master has in store!

Last edited:
To me, there is nothing more certain than Taheny and Sharp on our list, provided they are available with our picks.
To me looks very certain, given their connections to the club players already.

flank wing for a start...
Brownless. Yep.

But he will end up as one of those mids who gets to lots of contests to win the ball or receive. He hasn't done a lot yet but he moves like a pure mid for mine. Gets around. Gets to good places.

His strength wasn't able to match his tank.
Hopefully an example of a late developer.

Last edited:
They will take a gun then green gets bid the pick after and they use all their later points to match.
Fwiw i think gws want young or ash to replace shaw and we want flanders or stephens.

Pretty much as I see it although I think if he was there ..Kemp would tempt is ..the size the potential leadership..and maybe he slips thru because of his knee
The temptation Kemp and Stephens Injury V discount because of injury

Ogilvie bid on thomas last year himmelberg and a heap of acad players in the past. And their midfield is crap. Gws need adelaides pick to negate a bid.

I suspect GWS will do what they can to get infront of the all and get three ... another two players from the top end of the draft ..cost is almost irrelavet as they just wash and rinse ..they seem to have a regular stream of academy top ends. They want to move Bonar because of his contract ..on good dollars for someone they cant fit in...

Have thought about our list as a whole, and what our de-listing/trading will look like (based on Wells' comments, outside interest, comments on here and in the media etc.) and this is what I've got so far:

Reckon that as of Round 1 next year, we could have up to 9 players replaced out of the prelim side from last year. Taylor will be kept as depth, while Hendo is moved on. We showed early on in the year that we were balanced down back without him or Hendo, so hopefully during the review they recognize that he doesn't need to play every game.

OUT: Henderson, Parfitt, Atkins, Tuohy, Bews, Narkle, Menegola, Kelly, Taylor

IN: Hawkins, Duncan, Constable, Kreuger, Clark, Rohan, High draft pick like Flanders, and Steven or Cockatoo (depending on if they're available/even at Geelong in Steven's case)

Changes our side from this:

B: Stewart, Taylor, Bews
HB: Tuohy, Kolo, Henry
C: Parfitt, Selwood, Blicavs (lol)
FO: Stanley, Dangerfield, Kelly
HF: Dahlhaus, Ratugolea, Ablett
F: Miers, Henderson, Atkins
INT: O'Connor, Guthrie, Menegola, Narkle

To this (best side if everyone is available, we get a top 10 draft pick like Flanders or similar/Steven comes in and gets back to even half of what his best is):

B: O'Connor, Blicavs, Henry
HB: Stewart, Kolo, Clark
C: Duncan, Constable, Guthrie
FO: Stanley, Dangerfield, Steven
HF: Dahlhaus, Hawkins, Ablett
F: Miers, Ratugolea, Rohan
INT: Cockatoo, Selwood, Kreuger, Top 10 draft pick, i.e. Flanders

EMG: Parfitt, Taylor, Atkins, Tuohy

Bolded highlight the changes, which takes an alright looking side, to something pretty special. Reckon Menegola gets traded, given where he falls in the pecking order. If he stays, then he won't play every game.

**********************************************************************************************************

This might be what our de-listing/trading looks like when all is said and done:

De-list/trade/place on rookie list (speculative): Cunico, Jones, Henderson, Menegola, Scooter, Kelly, Smith, Future 2nd (for Steven) Pick 17, Future 1st (Eagles pick to trade up order) - Buzza on rookie list (8 spots avail.)

Trade in/draft/rookie upgrade (speculative): Steven, Pick 5-9, Pick 14, Pick 24, Pick 36, Pick 37, Zuthrie, Simpson (8 spots filled)

********************************************************************************************************

All highly highly speculative, but that seems to me like a snapshot of what we could expect. I'm actually warming up to the idea of only getting one top 10 pick, and drafting with the rest. Robertson would be a good get (and would really peeve the Weagles to no end, haha - little bit of payback).

Hopefully we end up drafting any of these 4 players with a top 10 pick: D. Stephens/Ash/Flanders/Kemp. Then we get any of these 5 with the remaining picks: Jackson, Sharp, Taheny, Robertson, C. Stephens. That would be an almighty haul.

Will be very interesting to see how Wells play this. Because as I see it, there is absolutely no way that we can get away with getting rid of any less than 8 players off the main list, if we want to spread the picks. If we trade up and only have 3 picks, then it's possible Henderson or Menegola stay.

Bring on next week/trade night, so we can see what the master has in store!
Interesting read

How do we get pick 5-9 ,Steven, and use 14,24,36,37? Figuring this stuff out is not my strength!
Assuming Menegola traded and that pick for Steven?

It is an interesting prospect tho.

Love to be a fly on the wall when 5 top newbies and Steven rock up, Okunbor gets his head around the game and starts doing damage and last years kids emerge from the gym. It could get willing.

Deakin oval beckons and with world 20/20 happening there should be quite a few sessions on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back