Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure that was the knock on StevieJ prior to the draft... even GAJ was very lazy and laconic which was highlighted by his peers after his first 4 years.
U can't judge a 17yo like you would a 23 yo...
Taheny has X factor about him.
Which some some love, some don't. For me doesn't bother me either way what their nature is as long as they become good players.
FWIW Our best ever player The Great Gary Ablett would never had played a game for us... lazy with a CAPITAL "L".
Cheers Rat.

Good points. Taheny certainly has X factor. There’s been a few others in recent times drafted on X factor such as Crozier, Houlahan, etc. but none of them have the performances on the board that Taheny currently does.

Yes... at VFL level... but his time with ball in hand is really slick... think Chook like but Simpson is a better mover. IMO Simpson at AFL level will be like Miers.. and by that I mean Simpson does things putting players into space at VFL level that are too fast for the game... and they dont always come off as a result. A higher grade receiving player would make it work.

I"d like to See Simmo get 10-12 games at the higher level - he needs a big preseason too - and let his ability come thru.

Big call I know.. but id still like to see it.

Go Catters

Does he have the physical attributes? We all know he’s slight, but what about his endurance, pace, power, etc?

Sadly no,I think the club are convinced we are right in that area.

Wells basically said they had a good crack at Goldstein and missed out, there’s no other A grade ruckman available so we’ll stick with what we’ve got. I like that. People here want Preuss, Darcy, etc. but they’re no better than what we’ve already got.

Guthries prelim was more his standard game,his semi was his best in 3 years, to many poor game over the last 3 years for a player of his experience we'd be better off moving him on,he's not the future.

I felt he and his role were very important this year for us.

Laconic is one thing fading in games is something else. At U18 level not much chop.
SJ was totally focused and intense in game time.

To be fair I think you are both right. He is inconsistent but the U/18 stuff isn't really relevant because he was injured and was almost on 1 leg. No idea why he was playing to be honest. Kids just want to play I guess.

Does he have the physical attributes? We all know he’s slight, but what about his endurance, pace, power, etc?
He still slight yes.. Ive seen him run all day but this tank needs to buiild - but no more so than any other player adjusting to the AFL speed and endurance game.

Power - needs to get bigger but his tackles stick it the VFL - often against bigger blokes. Has a good stiff arm too ive sen him use.

And skills and vision is really good.

He gets caught sometimes looking for the best option rather than the first - think Smedts - but that comes with time and backing your instincts too.

All that goes back to me asking for the solid block of AFL games. He's in that time to do it now IMO. And it will wither make or break him but either way 'we'd know. Id back him in.

GO Catters

Laconic is one thing fading in games is something else. At U18 level not much chop.
SJ was totally focused and intense in game time.

Yeah... Nah... early days was bit of a loafer and a dill to be honest.
Turned it around after his 5th or 6th indiscretion i think... and that took 3-4 years.
Either way. They are kids and different stages in development both mentally and physically.
Disagree with the not much chop bit... along with about 18 other recruiters that have him easily in their TOP 30 draft hopefuls i would say.
Cheers Rat.

Moving Menegola as you suggest is very much like what we did in 99 I think ..moving Mansfield. Yes he gave Carlton good service and Cook later said he would have like to find another player to move (hard call i think he had to get the costs under control) ... but it gave us a pick for Chapman.
If we can look back at this year as the icing on the last the last 2 or 3 in accumulating young talent ...then brave calls will be applauded.

Moving on a seasoned player would give us that chance depending on what we get for him and it would give us cap relief. The loss of kelly hurts on field and in the cap.
Yeah. Need to be flexible in our planning now. Needs a boost. We're mot quite there. Surely though we've planned for the cap if kelly had stayed. Will definitely hurt on field though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although I dislike the idea of trading multiple picks for a high pick there is one scenario where I'd do it.
To find a replacement for hawk by 2022.

Is there someone in this draft?

He still slight yes.. Ive seen him run all day but this tank needs to buiild - but no more so than any other player adjusting to the AFL speed and endurance game.

Power - needs to get bigger but his tackles stick it the VFL - often against bigger blokes. Has a good stiff arm too ive sen him use.

And skills and vision is really good.

He gets caught sometimes looking for the best option rather than the first - think Smedts - but that comes with time and backing your instincts too.

All that goes back to me asking for the solid block of AFL games. He's in that time to do it now IMO. And it will wither make or break him but either way 'we'd know. Id back him in.

GO Catters

He just seems very pedestrian to me. No standout attributes other than having time and space. At this point he has a lot more going against him, than for him. I like your optimism though.

No doubt that Taheny has both the physical attributes and class to make it as a medium forward. Could also push into the midfield for small stints. Doesn’t guarantee he’ll make it but he has a lot going his way. Would love to take him with one of our picks.

Agree completely. Could be anything, could be nothing. If we have multiple picks in the 15-40 range we’d be silly not to take him.

The more I look at our list, the list I don’t want to bring in senior players.

i really think between Fogarty, Constable, Narkle and Parfitt should be pushed to play the inside role. we just need a quality winger. Other than Clarke who I want at HB, we don’t have a good one in development.

He just seems very pedestrian to me. No standout attributes other than having time and space. At this point he has a lot more going against him, than for him. I like your optimism though.

Pedestrian can be OK though in a team role....the thing he (Simpson) needed to work on was consistently both within games (he’d go missing for quarters) and weekly. Much better at that this year, particularly early, when he was in bests for a number of weeks in a row. Think i’m going to get blasted though for mentioning team role...

Last edited:
Wells basically said they had a good crack at Goldstein and missed out, there’s no other A grade ruckman available so we’ll stick with what we’ve got. I like that. People here want Preuss, Darcy, etc. but they’re no better than what we’ve already got.

Exactly - seems that the club has acknowledged that it's an area we have issues with, they tried to address it but the options they felt would work best didn't eventuate and so the decision was to stick with whom we know because other available players weren't necessarily going to be better than what we have

Listening to Wells & others, it doesn't seem that they just sat on their hands & put their heads in the sand on the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back