Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WARNING TO ALL VISITORS TO THE GEELONG BOARD. You are - for the most part - welcome to discuss the current list management & trading situation at Geelong. However, this is our board, so be respectful of the home board posters & don't inflame arguments (make your points succinctly and move on). And if you're just here to troll, then don't bother or you will be enjoying a holiday

Nah wouldn't think there'd be much chance. Henry is our guy anyway, if we're trading up further, IMO

If we are after a specific players its probably dependant on him being there so... in draft trade if he reaches a certain pick with a club we have pre arranged a trade with... so they would need to have a good feel for what they think he is worth and where he will get to. It seems he might get called anywhere from mid r1 on...

So who can we trade with to get a pick in that range?

How many players do the clubs with multiple picks need?

Who needs future picks for next year ?

If the Pies trade to get ahead of a bid McInnes. ... would they trade their second R1? Would that be early enough for Henry anyway?

If we are after a specific players its probably dependant on him being there so... in draft trade if he reaches a certain pick with a club we have pre arranged a trade with... so they would need to have a good feel for what they think he is worth and where he will get to. It seems he might get called anywhere from mid r1 on...

If the Pies trade to get ahead of a bid McInnes. ... would they trade their second R1? Would that be early enough for Henry anyway?

I could potentially see a scenario where the Pies trade 14 plus a future first to the Bombers to get one of their single digit picks. Then trade 16 to us for 27 and a future 2nd in order to not have to use 16 on a bid for McInnes. We use 16 on.....probably Henry as I dare say Bruhn is gone by then.

So I dont have to hall back through the forum.... How many rookies have we got currently and how many list spots do we have free currently? TIA

I could potentially see a scenario where the Pies trade 14 plus a future first to the Bombers to get one of their single digit picks. Then trade 16 to us for 27 and a future 2nd in order to not have to use 16 on a bid for McInnes. We use 16 on.....probably Henry as I dare say Bruhn is gone by then.

Was thinking something similar.. get one pick before McInnes bid , they get two quality kids... and they will need futures for next year.... but will Henry be there at that pick. Questionable.

Was thinking something similar.. get one pick before McInnes bid , they get two quality kids... and they will need futures for next year.... but will Henry be there at that pick. Questionable.

It’s a trade you’d do on the night if both a bid comes for McInnes and Henry is available. I think it would be a 50/50 chance. I think clubs would be aware how much Henry wants to play for us and may request a trade to us down the track if drafted by them.

It’s a trade you’d do on the night if both a bid comes for McInnes and Henry is available. I think it would be a 50/50 chance. I think clubs would be aware how much Henry wants to play for us and may request a trade to us down the track if drafted by them.
excellent point... whether that works with or against us not sure ... but the evidence is there for all to see that unless a player comings in quickly to the best22 .. that odds are their value will drip... ie Caldwell. Maybe super talls gets a bit of leeway on that but even JUH ... may not reap a P1 ..if he was traded a year or two after draft if he has not shown something. .... so with that in mind its treacherous to draft someone who you think he may want out, I suspect though that most clubs back themselves to ingratiate themselves.. who a player barracks for often means little once drafted. I heard Tanner Bruhn this morning saying he barracked for West Coast. Didnt Matty Scarlett follow Essendon?

So far imo ..Wells is killing it.. if we can get out of this draft with one kid to add to the ones we already have and still have a strong hand next year ... then perhaps we will not need hard hats to protect us from the falling sky...

So I dont have to hall back through the forum.... How many rookies have we got currently and how many list spots do we have free currently? TIA

Its very loose the numbers from the afl are a bandwidth... I suspect we add 2 senior list players either at draft or 1 at draft and one later. I think our Rookie spots are full.

O’Driscoll
Poulter
Winder
Ford
Stone
Laurie
Maher
Walsh

These are the guys I like who should be around our pick 27.

Take a bow if we use our P27 on one of them

I dont think we go Walsh now we have Tsap. ..and there seems to be some buzz on Stone , he is moving up. If I were to guess , id say look at their combine data .. we seems to draft kids that show something in speed or stamina.. so someone like Maher might appeal.

Where is he currently projected to go??

Its normally difficult... this year is a blind man playing darts. Anything after 20 imo. Ford is high enough rated to get interviewed on the radio ..that tells me 20-30. It only takes one club to like him... and stuff like him requesting info from Freo on Fyfe will impress clubs..

As I thought, we're not done moving up just yet. Really do think we'll try and nab Ollie Henry if possible. Those Future 2nd's are very valuable, and if we get him without using our Future 1st, that'd be a massive win. If we don't move up from here, I'd be very very happy for us to take Max Heath.

Geelong bolsters its draft position by completing pick swap with Gold Coast
Geelong has strengthened its position in this year’s draft after completing a deal with the Gold Coast. But the Cats have picks to make another move.

Jay Clark

"Geelong has bolstered its position in this year’s draft after securing pick No. 27 in a swap with Gold Coast.

The Cats off-loaded a future third-round pick (tied to Melbourne) from next year’s draft in exchange for No. 27 from the Suns which Gold Coast did not plan to use.

Gold Coast already has a full list and is planning to only take one player at the draft with pick No. 5.

The trade means the Cats will have picks No. 27, No. 51 and No. 96 in this year’s draft, giving Geelong a position in the second-round of the draft after trading out pick No. 30 for Shaun Higgins.

Geelong initially secured the future third-round pick in a deal with Brisbane for departed midfielder Nakia Cockatoo.

But their moves may not yet be finalised.

Geelong also has two extra second-round picks in next year’s draft which they obtained from GWS Giants and Essendon in the Jeremy Cameron deal.

The Cats could also swap those two picks to improve their position in this year’s draft, if it suits.

The Giants were adamant they wanted picks No. 13, No. 15 and No. 20 in the Cameron deal but the Cats only went ahead with it if they received two future second-rounders back.

Geelong will continue talks with rival clubs about those picks in the lead up to next Wednesday’s AFL draft."
Something like ..

HSun... stephen .. will you continue to look at trading..

SW .. we will not rule anything out ..if it suits us we may

Its all about the other club and how much that would want futures. The trading Gold Coast was amazingly beneficial imo... obvious the two clubs get along.. inspite of what some supporters feel ... the guys with the jobs are professionals ..and know thats how you establish relationships.. my bet GC will need something at some stage and we we pay thru the nose.. its give and take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My gut is henry could go as early as gws at 10..no later than the teens..i cant see him getting past there...we would be best to live trade on the night when we know who is there.

excellent point... whether that works with or against us not sure ... but the evidence is there for all to see that unless a player comings in quickly to the best22 .. that odds are their value will drip... ie Caldwell. Maybe super talls gets a bit of leeway on that but even JUH ... may not reap a P1 ..if he was traded a year or two after draft if he has not shown something. .... so with that in mind its treacherous to draft someone who you think he may want out, I suspect though that most clubs back themselves to ingratiate themselves.. who a player barracks for often means little once drafted. I heard Tanner Bruhn this morning saying he barracked for West Coast. Didnt Matty Scarlett follow Essendon?

So far imo ..Wells is killing it.. if we can get out of this draft with one kid to add to the ones we already have and still have a strong hand next year ... then perhaps we will not need hard hats to protect us from the falling sky...

Yeh, I'm just glad we are going to have some sort of presence in the first two rounds. I think to put all your eggs in the one draft next year was a touch risky. If we can add one decent type on top of our FA/trade haul we've done pretty well.

3 list spots left.

My gut is henry could go as early as gws at 10..no later than the teens..i cant see him getting past there...we would be best to live trade on the night when we know who is there.
I really do hope GWS draft him then laugh when he asks for a trade after his first year.

Yeh, I'm just glad we are going to have some sort of presence in the first two rounds. I think to put all your eggs in the one draft next year was a touch risky. If we can add one decent type on top of our FA/trade haul we've done pretty well.

Risk<> Reward. loading up in the wrong year compare to the right year ... if next year is anywhere near 2001 then ..lock and load imo.... but your point is valid... the list build for gws and gold coast is a prime example

Last edited:
I know there’s a few posters who agree with me on here.
I hope we’re trading up to get Eddie Ford
Really think this kid could be a star

Add me to the Eddie Ford bandwagon. Just reading through his profile on Draft Central I'm really liking the strengths he brings to the table:
STRENGTHS:
  • Clean hands
  • Vertical leap
  • X-factor
  • Goal sense
  • Impact-per-possession
  • Upside

The X-Factor, goal sense and impact per possession read just like Stevie J and Dan Menzel (prior to the knee injuries), and with Perkins (who was on many people's wishlist) now projected to go even higher than our three picks were anyway Ford looks to be a very impressive candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back