Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WARNING TO ALL VISITORS TO THE GEELONG BOARD. You are - for the most part - welcome to discuss the current list management & trading situation at Geelong. However, this is our board, so be respectful of the home board posters & don't inflame arguments (make your points succinctly and move on). And if you're just here to troll, then don't bother or you will be enjoying a holiday

Some of the Adel board seem to think that the good oil is that Sth Australian Kaine Baldwin will be taken by us at 27.

Would be some gamble. Top 5 talent but the odds just stacked so far against him now.

Very few nail Geels selections pre draft so I’d be surprised if that was a genuine leak.

I'd take the risk with our second, but not with pick 27.

Could he play as a key forward at AFL level? I guess if he’s good enough I think he’s a similar height to Riccardi who has shown he can play at the level.

In the end If you are good enough a slight disparity from the norm can be an advantage... if for example all the full backs are now 198.. then a player like GA sr comes along he makes them look slow..

I find it interesting that we could have taken Riccadi with schrapnel last year.. and this kid is coming off two knees.... he better be very good despite his height.

In the end If you are good enough a slight disparity from the norm can be an advantage... if for example all the full backs are now 198.. then a player like GA sr comes along he makes them look slow..

I find it interesting that we could have taken Riccadi with schrapnel last year.. and this kid is coming off two knees.... he better be very good despite his height.
Yeah I’m not sure I’d be taking a key forward. Unless the talent is too good to ignore. I’ve only seen a few highlights of Baldwin but from that he wouldn’t be displacing many from the expected top 10. And who knows how the injury will impact from here.
With our first pick there’s a good chance that someone the club rates falls there. And with the second pick I hope we look at a need like ruck or key back.

Be happier if he was 197cm..

I mean yes but he is a quality talent in a thin draft. Worth a look in the 20s for mine..if hollands can still go top 5 off an acl i would take baldwin in the 20s all day long.

I think people are dreaming that we will trade back into the first round for either Bruhn, or Henry...With live draft trading teams will sit back and see who is available and take the player, or get us at the draft table...We wouldn't of traded pick 20 for two future seconds, then pay more to trade back in...Just my honest observation...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think people are dreaming that we will trade back into the first round for either Bruhn, or Henry...With live draft trading teams will sit back and see who is available and take the player, or rape us at the draft table...We wouldn't of traded pick 20 for two future seconds, then pay more to trade back in...Just my honest observation...

Things can change..we might have expected certain players to be gone by say 20 so the value of it is less to us..then a player slides that we didnt expect to be there so we see the value of trading back in..this is what live in draft trading does.

Bìg CALL in this article... Might work out good for us

In essence, Geelong shuffled two of its prized draft picks back 12 months and into a deeper draft where recruiters will not be flying partially blind.

One expert said players selected from 11-20 on Wednesday would probably fit in around pick 30-40 next year.

“I would say next year’s group exceeds this year’s group by a whole round,” he said.

Clubs were reluctant to release future first and second-round picks in the recent trade period

OK - hear me out, Aaron Black has nominated for the draft. Before he did his knee, he was more than serviceable as a key (ish) back. Could he be rookied as a back up in case Hendo gets injured?

If Henderson did get injured, why would you not look at playing Kreuger in defense?

Nathan Kreuger - 2019 Highlights (geelongcats.com.au)

I reckon its a bit of BS that next year's draft is that much deeper.... Its just that we don't have enough exposed form in this draft group.

I reckon many might carry over into the U18 system as over-agers next year. I guess then, it will actually be a deeper draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people are dreaming that we will trade back into the first round for either Bruhn, or Henry...With live draft trading teams will sit back and see who is available and take the player, or rape us at the draft table...We wouldn't of traded pick 20 for two future seconds, then pay more to trade back in...Just my honest observation...
Things can change..we might have expected certain players to be gone by say 20 so the value of it is less to us..then a player slides that we didnt expect to be there so we see the value of trading back in..this is what live in draft trading does.
Seen a few here like Ford (I did too in the u17's), in this draft ranking Knightmare has Ford at 41 & Henry at 46! Would laugh all the way to the bank if Ollie went that late.

Bìg CALL in this article... Might work out good for us

In essence, Geelong shuffled two of its prized draft picks back 12 months and into a deeper draft where recruiters will not be flying partially blind.

One expert said players selected from 11-20 on Wednesday would probably fit in around pick 30-40 next year.

“I would say next year’s group exceeds this year’s group by a whole round,” he said.

Clubs were reluctant to release future first and second-round picks in the recent trade period

This is why some of the people desperate to trade back in to this draft are short sighted. Then given the ratings are going to be all over the place, I feel comfortable that we will get someone we like at 31 and 41 (likely draft positions given reshuffles). When I say like, I mean actually like not PR like.

Its really a Stephen Wells draft. Smokies everywhere, everyone has to really take a punt so no different to what he normally does. The usual BF complaint is he took a smokey with pick 15 etc well this year is exactly perfect for him. Your probably taking the piss if you think Wells would take Bruhn and Henry with say 10 anyway, he wouldn't it would be a smokie. The complete random nature of it is perfect for Wells.

That being said, I'm sure we can trade back in with those future seconds and get decent picks but I don't want to. Its not worth it. Give it twelve months and the GWS trade will look like the Jeremy Sharp for pick 10 trade.

If you are putting in context what that guy is saying regarding the draft quality, its like saying we traded pick 30, 35 and 37 for Jeremy Cameron and say 25 and 30. Or eliminate the 30s and we have 35 and 37 for Cameron and 25. Or Jeremy Cameron for 52 if you use points tables.

That sounds very tasty to me. Cameron trade is a deadset winner if this guy is on the money.

This is why some of the people desperate to trade back in to this draft are short sighted. Then given the ratings are going to be all over the place, I feel comfortable that we will get someone we like at 31 and 41 (likely draft positions given reshuffles). When I say like, I mean actually like not PR like.

Its really a Stephen Wells draft. Smokies everywhere, everyone has to really take a punt so no different to what he normally does. The usual BF complaint is he took a smokey with pick 15 etc well this year is exactly perfect for him. Your probably taking the piss if you think Wells would take Bruhn and Henry with say 10 anyway, he wouldn't it would be a smokie. The complete random nature of it is perfect for Wells.

That being said, I'm sure we can trade back in with those future seconds and get decent picks but I don't want to. Its not worth it. Give it twelve months and the GWS trade will look like the Jeremy Sharp for pick 10 trade.

I think Wells would definitely take henry at 10 if he had that pick but i agree with your general comments re strategy.

Seen a few here like Ford (I did too in the u17's), in this draft ranking Knightmare has Ford at 41 & Henry at 46! Would laugh all the way to the bank if Ollie went that late.

I doubt ollie goes later than 15 but i think ford will be there in the second round and i think he is worth that pick.

I reckon its a bit of BS that next year's draft is that much deeper.... Its just that we don't have enough exposed form in this draft group.

I reckon many might carry over into the U18 system as over-agers next year. I guess then, it will actually be a deeper draft.

Its more because with a low number of picks this year those overlooked will play nab league as 19yos next year creating a deeper pool to pick from next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back